Uneven pad wear.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
About 4 months ago I changed my rear brake pads. At that time I noticed that the pad wear was exceedingly uneven, with one pad barely touched and the other almost gone.

This morning, pulling my rear wheel for a new tire, I'm seeing the same radically uneven wear occurring, to the point where I may as well place the pads again.

Ideas, suggestions for this problem?

Sounds like you need to take apart the calipers (remove the pistons) and clean up the pistons and bore. You probably have the thinner pad side piston not retracting fully when you let off the brakes. This causes the pad to stay in slight contact at all times and will cause excessive wear.

Sean

sean, i did the same thing and both my vmax's i've had, the rear pads wear differently.

then they must be dragging or something, on mine they both wear even. what type of pads do you guys have on there? just curious

Thanks, I was thinking a caliper rebuild might be in order, either that or some minor imperfection in the caliper arm / brake stay might cause it.

It's not a huge problem, changing brake pads is a ten minute job, but wearing like this means I'm going through them at a pretty good rate, money adds up.

For the record I'm using EBC organics. If I ever get around to new rotors I plan to move to HH.

i had HHs and they squealed like crazy. organics stopped that with a yamaha rotor. all after market types had a squeal. i run a venture now with no squealing

I noticed the same wear on mine too.
The inside is wearing out before the outside but I don`t notice any hang up or noise of any kind :confused2:.
<<Dave>>:punk:

then they must be dragging or something, on mine they both wear even. what type of pads do you guys have on there? just curious

Ro,If you told me at Dannys i forgot, what pads are you running cause your front brakes kick ass...

Same on mine Dave, inside wearing first. Of course following the rule that if you complain about something on your bike, now it appears that the rear is dragging and the rear slave sticks if I push it too hard. Sonnofabitch.

Got a long ride tomorrow too, thinking about slipping in s couple if washers to move the whole caliper in about a 16th.

Alright I'm retarded.

From the best diagram I can get on my iPhone, which ain't much, it looks like on reassembly I put the washer on the wrong side of the brake arm. Smooth.

Have A good ride ! then take the same ride next weekend with your new seat and let me know how it was! ride safe!

Ro,If you told me at Dannys i forgot, what pads are you running cause your front brakes kick ass...

funny you should ask bill cause i was thinking about it today as i was driving V1 around here in whitehorse. here i have HH ebc on the front and back and its not nearly as good as V2(the one you drove). I know the back ones on that bike is FF EBC and im about 85% sure the fronts are HH EBC thats what i was told never bothered to pull the pads as they are in wicked shape. no SS lines either. For sure before the pizza run or when i make it back home i will take them off and let you know, i gotta chg the pads on V1 to match V2 as they do kick ass as you said :punk:.
wait til i fix the clutch and get it running right then you gotta take it for a ride and hopefully i get it running smoother like your bike.

So I came home from work at 4am to get the bike squared away for saturday morning.

Pulled the axle again, fixed the damn washer position. Put the new brake pads in, which turned out to be a bitch in the dark because one of those STUPID retainer clips that hold the pins was all wonked up.

What an engineering disaster anyway. I'd much rather the rods go through the caliper body and circlip on the other side, than have that half-assed wire clip inside the caliper cavity just waiting to break off on something. Grumble.

Anyway, Max all feex. 2 hour nap, then a 400 mile ride. Business as usual.

Latest posts

Back