Uni air filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimn2905

Reaction score
Hello, so I already order an Uni air filter on my 86 vmax since they look cool. I wonder does anybody have experience with them, are they good? Do I need to adjust anything ?

Is it foam.....I know some UNI filters are.

If so I would say avoid it foam filters are restrictive and can reduce power.

I have the UNI in my 98 vmax. It is definietly better than stock and I live in Las Vegas so changing out the air filter every 1k because of the desert dirt is rediclulous. Just make sure you oil it properly before you install it. Follow the instructions do not over oil it. But like I said I love it and they last upwards of 50k miles. and I can go about 3k now before I have to clean and recharge it.

The Uni with the foam outer is absolutely a piece of garbage. I had one and ended up sucking a piece of that foam surround into my carbs. A few pieces. Took me 2 cans of straight pouring seafoam in while holding it at 3k to get it to finally pop a little amd blow some smoke. Enough to take it for a ride. I poured way to much into my tank, plus octane boost and premium gas and took it for a beat session to try and clear the rest. Finally starting popping and spitting before I got on highway and cleaned up. Had it almost at redline in 4th for a solid 15min up to the beach. I can’t fix carbs and wasn’t putting my bike down early in the season for carb work. So I did what worked for me. Garbage those filters are

Run some SeaFoam through it. Run the bike 'till your gas light comes on, put in half a can and fill up. Run that out and do the same with the other half of the can.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to rebuild them again.

1609069319676.png

I like Sea Foam but if you want to protect your system from rust, corrosion & everything Sea Foam does Star Tron is the way to go. I haven't touched my carbs in yrs. & they always works great.

Back