Unidentified wire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix

Reaction score
Hey there, bought my first vmax this winter, and just went to put the battery in and I noticed a wire, and I want to figure out what to do with it before I go any further. There is a black wire, running down (plastic zip tied to) the left (clutch handle side) frame tube and ends, stripped, right at the battery lead pretty much. I called the guy I bought the bike from to see if he knew what it was or if it was part of the T-boost he installed. It isn't, but he thought it could have come out of one of the connectors since everything is so tight around the battery. So basically, does anyone have any idea what I do with this wire?

Thanks for any replies.

Post some pictures, it might help us get a better idea of what and where the wire goes.

Other than following the wire to the source. Id say, just cap the end and install the battery and see if all is OK. Sooner than later you'll find out what it is... That's my 2cents for what I'd do. Then I'd put it on a lead to a tester, and the other lead to a good ground or neg on the battery. It will tell you if the wire is hot. Your best to trace to where it goes first if you can.

I'm sure if ya wait someone with some better advice should be able to help you out. Thats the best I can do. Good luck

Last edited:
Yeah, i figured out what the wire was, it was indeed hooked into the t-boost, it got pulled out of where it was spliced into what i believe was a power feed. I re-hooked that up, but I am convinced that either my t/v-boost doesn't work at all, or that it is always on. When i turn the key on, it makes the normal vmax noises, but I don't notice a kick at 3 or 6 thousand rpms with the switch in either position.

How would i know if i somehow fried the v-boost controller board?

Also, I haven't gotten better than 28 MPG yet, is that pretty normal, or could that be a sign of the t-boost always being on to 3,000 rpm or just plain being always open?

Yeah, i figured out what the wire was, it was indeed hooked into the t-boost, it got pulled out of where it was spliced into what i believe was a power feed. I re-hooked that up, but I am convinced that either my t/v-boost doesn't work at all, or that it is always on. When i turn the key on, it makes the normal vmax noises, but I don't notice a kick at 3 or 6 thousand rpms with the switch in either position.

How would i know if i somehow fried the v-boost controller board?

Also, I haven't gotten better than 28 MPG yet, is that pretty normal, or could that be a sign of the t-boost always being on to 3,000 rpm or just plain being always open?

I get about 31 in stock mode... My engine is still tight though...

If you can hear the vboost cycling then it is probably good... Do you hear it or the fuel pump?:ummm:

Thats a good question, i hear two sounds when i turn the key on, one more high pitched than the other, the higher pitched hum goes first, followed by a lower pitched hum. Sorry, I'm really not absolutely certain what they are, I had heard that that was supposedly the vboost.

Thats a good question, i hear two sounds when i turn the key on, one more high pitched than the other, the higher pitched hum goes first, followed by a lower pitched hum. Sorry, I'm really not absolutely certain what they are, I had heard that that was supposedly the vboost.

It should sound like a servo motor going one way and then the other...:whistlin:

alright, i would definitely say it sounds like a servo motor. My problem is i don't know what the fuel pump should sound like to compare though.

It sounds like a rapid succession of clicks that get gradually slower then stop.

It doesn't do it every time you start up though, only when fuel is needed.

Ok yeah, then it is the V-boost servo that I hear when i turn the key on, although I have also heard the clicks, which scared me the first time i heard it lol. thought something was wrong.

Back