Unique Helmets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So I was wondering if there are any unique helmets that are good quality and that are DOT certified.

The Majoirty of helmets I have seen all seem pretty cooky-cutter to me. I am not trying to stand out with anything too crazy, but I am wanting something a bit diffrent.

For example, these two company's I like both of their helmets, but very few of them are DOT certified, and while I want a helmet I like, I also want to keep my head safe.

http://www.boxer-helmets.com/

http://alienhelmets.com/Alien-Helmets.htm

Both are pretty cool but I like the roof better. I heard than the alien or bandit helmet kind of suck in term of airflow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Both are pretty cool but I like the roof better. I heard than the alien or bandit helmet kind of suck in term of airflow.

Yeah going back and forth between the two I really like the Roof a lot better. I will say that Roof's passes two certification's from Italy, so I am sure its not crap, but being in the Military my helmet needs to be DOT certified.

I have the Simpson Bandit and Simpson Super Bandit helmets and they have a HUGE amount of lift on a motorcycle at speed. At 100+ mph, they feel like if the strap was released, they would pop straight up off of your head. These helmets are designed to be in a semi enclosed structure like a dragster. The lift makes them very uncomfortable to use on a bike.

The Alien helmets look like a Simpson copy w/softer lines or a bit of customization to the chin piece area. The Integral looks like a very early Shoei which had Kevlar patches integral to its construction, I forget the designation, or the early Bell w/o the fixed windowplate.

The Alien helmets have been mentioned on here before, someone did some nice paintjobs on them from what I recall.

The Boxers are good looking too.

I like my Shark Evolution II Moovit because it has the streamlined chinpiece which flips to the rear and is comfortable and legal open or closed. I heard they were having issues w/the distributorship, and that some CA outfit was dealing w/the manufacturer for the USA market now.

The blue bands one is supposed to be luminescent at night, probably pretty-startling to see going down the road.
images
images
images

Roof helmets will fit you if your head is a bowling ball. They do look awesome, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The rear vision looks interesting, I'd try one if I didn't have to buy it first.

The movable chinbar model is like all the other ones, except the Shark Evoline, they continually pull your head back if you leave it open, while the Evoline is legal open or closed and doesn't act like a huge air-dam.

Now all you need is your Google glasses and you're set!

Honestly helmets are kind of "cookie cutter" since that's what works the best on a bike. You can get ones with oddball shapes, but pretty universally I hear they're terrible on a bike in the wind at speed. More of a conversation piece than practical helmet.

Icon has some pretty wild graphics available if that's what you're after. Their Variant helmet is pretty different looking with the stubby visor and futuristic style. From reviews I've heard they're not bad as long as you don't break 100 too often, at which point the visor turns into a wing.

Agree with Rawarrior. Icon is used to make nice graphics, way better than the high end brands.

So far not finding what I wanted I ended with 2 glossy modular helmets LS2 and Shoei.

IMHO Look for a helment based on what they do not how they look. You can always paint a helment so the from a distance it looks like about anything. On the other hand I love having blur tooth in my helment. I can listen to my jams without wires (and my GPS) and I can even answer incoming phone calss. I love the new modular helmets that have a build in second lens which most with use for a sun shade (just slide it down when you need it and back up when you don't.

The bluetooth helmets can also be used for intercom if you have someone else that has one.

I would read the reviews and see which are reviewed to have lower wind noise and better ventilation

Buy based on fuction then paint it to look cool!

I have an icon airmada 4 horsemen, although I have never wore a street helmet before. I like it for the most part. Has good air flow. It did about snap my neck once going 85 with 25 mph cross winds and gusts up to 35mph.

IMHO Look for a helment based on what they do not how they look. You can always paint a helment so the from a distance it looks like about anything. On the other hand I love having blur tooth in my helment. I can listen to my jams without wires (and my GPS) and I can even answer incoming phone calss. I love the new modular helmets that have a build in second lens which most with use for a sun shade (just slide it down when you need it and back up when you don't.

The bluetooth helmets can also be used for intercom if you have someone else that has one.

I would read the reviews and see which are reviewed to have lower wind noise and better ventilation

Buy based on fuction then paint it to look cool!
+1, I agree with function over form. The main problem I have is getting the right sized one since I need a xxxl normally. My current helmet is a Vemar VSRE but I have also found that Shoie RF1000 comes in a xxxl and fits well too. I'm hoping the next gen of the RF1000 (the RF1100) will fit too when I need a new helmet in a couple of years. I'll probally go with a a base white helmet and then get it painted to my own design.

As much as I would like a helmet right out of Halo, I would imagine that they would do rather poorly. I do like the look of the Icon Variant, but I would prefer to have it without that vizor on top.

My helmet of choice ended up being an HJC IS-MAX BT which I want to mount speakers inside for when I want good highway tunes! Molly Hatchet's Flirting With Disaster comes to mind as a prime choice when doin the twisties

Ive always had shoei. I needed a new helmet and went the cheap route. Bought a seven zero seven. Fit is ok and wind noise really sucks. Its so bad its as if Im not wearing a helmet. I should have saved my pennies and bought another Shoei. Didn't realize how quite shoei was till I bought another helmet.

I picked up a Roof Desmo, I'll let you know how it works out. Really liked my V8. They run small for their stated size though. As far as I know they started the fold over chin bar.

http://www.roof.fr/en/

I always go for Caberg flip-up helmets, the flip is great when you're in traffic on a warm day but I always have it down on the open road (too much drag/turbulance when it's up) and they also have a sliding internal sun visor

helmet-brands-caberg-trip-met-black-40037.jpg

Back