Update to my post asking Gen 2 riders to tell me what its like to ride a Gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxer06

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone that replied to my previous post that asked Gen 2 riders to tell me what its like to ride one. I bought a 2015 1700 Vmax on Tuesday, way down in very rural WV. I had my choices down to 2 nice bikes, a 09 and an 10 on Facebook, and was going to buy one this week, when I ran one more "1700 vmax" search on Fbook, and to my surprise a guy in Spencer WV had just listed a 15 in the Dark Cherry color, with 6500 miles, bone stock. He had purchased it at the beginning of summer from the original owner, who was 70, in Maryland.
I have already put 80 miles on it, and everything you guys said was true. It is the most awesome bike I have ever ridden. It is on another universe than the Gen 1 Vmax, and I still like those. It is so smooth and absolutely consistent in performance, very easy to drive at 3-5k Rpms. I have not ridden it over 7000 rpms yet, not quite comfortable. It will spin the wheels in 1st and 2cd at 6-7k rpms, and I am not quite used to that yet. The hp and torque are unbelievable, definitely a bike for the ages.
So thanks again for all the positive riding reviews you took time to send me on the forum. Ride safe

Congratulations!!!

I left out a gas station in Dallas Monday slideways, didn’t even notice the rear was spinning. I. Love. It. It’s hilarious. Tires don’t last long like that tho

Congratulations! Enjoy your new bike, good luck with it. Now let’s talk mods, lol I was lucky the bike I bought had a few extra things on it which saved me some money “exhaust “ but one thing I’d recommend are some highway pegs. I’m not financially ready “broke” to purchase the pegs yet but I’m definitely going to get them, I think they would make it so much more comfortable at times. Again good luck and congratulations, post some pics.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new bike, good luck with it. Now let’s talk mods, lol I was lucky the bike I bought had a few extra things on it which saved me some money “exhaust “ but one thing I’d recommend are some highway pegs. I’m not financially ready “broke” to purchase the pegs yet but I’m definitely going to get them, I think they would make it so much more comfortable at times. Again good luck and congratulations, post some pics.
I installed a set of the engine case mounted pegs from a gentleman on Ebay from Australia. With my long legs, I still didn't find them comfortable. I added a set of adjustable offsets and some better pegs, now it hits the mark for comfy. Not a cheap fix, but worth it for the long haul. Not the best photo, but the only one I have at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-185817_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-185817_Gallery.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 40
I installed a set of the engine case mounted pegs from a gentleman on Ebay from Australia. With my long legs, I still didn't find them comfortable. I added a set of adjustable offsets and some better pegs, now it hits the mark for comfy. Not a cheap fix, but worth it for the long haul. Not the best photo, but the only one I have at the moment.

Those are classy looking highway pegs.

As far as mods, I ordered the Puig New Generation Sport Windshield, I think it really looks nice on the dark cherry color bikes. I also am considering doing the tail tidy, however, as it sits in my garage now, I don't seem to hate the "extended fender/plate mount" as much as I thought I did, LOL.
I would like to De-cat it sometime, and maybe get the guru flash if it doesn't adversely affect the smooth drivability that it currently has from the factory.

Driving it in town the other night, I almost made my first mistake. Was sitting at a light and a newer Ford truck beside me did the rev thing and quick take-off when it turned green. I resisted the urge to accelerate and sure enough, a cop was sitting in a driveway 100 yards ahead of us :cool:

Bought this 2016 in August 2020 with 5500 miles bone stock. Was not planning on doing any mods and even after riding and knowing that it did not need any extra horsepower I decided to add a few items. Pretty much did them within a two month period. I didn't like the taillight hanging down so far and cleaned that up. Mods done were simple MAB with K&N filter, DD to the clutch, deleted cat with Akrapovic mid pipe and left stock mufflers then finished with Tim Nash flash. I thought it was quick stock but boy it really jumped with these simple mods. Sounds great but yet it still runs as smooth as 100% stock. I love the Galaxy Blue which I have a 14 Raider the same Yamaha color. Your burgundy 17 would have been my next choice in color. First pix is when I first purchased and second is after mods with 9500 miles now. Enjoy :cool:20200920_155839.jpg20210530_150801.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks or the pics and info, I also love the blue, one of my 3 favorite colors. Thanks for the feedback about the de-cat pipe and Nash flash and it still running smooth like factory. I also like your "Vmax" clutch (?) cover, where did you get that?

Thanks or the pics and info, I also love the blue, one of my 3 favorite colors. Thanks for the feedback about the de-cat pipe and Nash flash and it still running smooth like factory. I also like your "Vmax" clutch (?) cover, where did you get that?
It was on the bike when I bought it but not one on the other side??? Sounds like Yamaha made them at onetime but has discounted them. I almost bought the set below and could kick myself for not doing so.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/sold-gen-2-palhegyi-engine-cover-clutch-cover-fs.49637/

Latest posts

Back