Upgrade exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Royalstrike

Reaction score
New to the forum with a 1992 vmax that I would like to upgrade the stock exhaust and preferably not wanting to rejet the carburetors which where just rebuilt. Looking for input, direction and advice.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's re-think this a bit.

The OEM system is actually very-good, it's double-walled, quiet, and the system is well-designed. It produces good power without dips. The finish on it is probably better than anything aftermarket you can find.

The only way to get more power is to go to a complete known-quality exhaust (headers, collector, and canister(s)), and to re-jet. Slip-ons are about sound and vanity because they do nothing for more-power.

You want to improve the bike, switch out the rear wheel for one converted to 17" or 18" and switch to radial tires. Read-up on radial tires on a VMax Gen. 1 using the upper-left 'advanced search,' after clicking on 'search.' The difference in handling compared to bias-ply tires, especially at the upper range the VMax is capable of, and on curves, is much-more reassuring.

A Mark's Exhaust (a full exhaust, though you can get slip-ons for a different appearance) is what a lot of guys use, there are various styles and set-ups. See Sean Morley's facebook page for VMax info on this and many other VMax modifications.

If someone offers you a great deal on a Cobra 4-into-4 system, follow Nancy Reagan's advice: "just say no." Pretty to look-at, but less power than stock, and soggy throttle response.

Last edited:

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
If you go with a full system you can run a DJ stage seven or one of our Muscle Jet kits. If you are going with slip-ons then do not bother trying to put any jet kit on it. I sell a few options and there are others that are good out there too. Ranges from $650-$1250 and up on the exhaust

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why have you decided to start on the slippery upgrade path with the exhaust?

IMO the Max already has sufficient power and unless the exhaust is shot there are other areas that I'd suggest you consider first.
First I would start with upgrading the front brakes, then the fork springs (my preference is for a single rate spring but others will suggest progressively wound) together with emulators. Then move on to the rear shocks and finally 17" wheels.

You will then have a machine that can stop and go round corners. As a result your bike will be able to cover the ground far quicker than one with an aftermarket exhaust.

Only then should you look for more GG's.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't let the debbie downers here keep you from swapping exhaust systems. The full headers are lighter, better flowing (a little more power), and sound way better then stock. The stock setup does well as designed and nothing wrong at all with it. But, I am not out there riding a Vmax just to get from A to B. I'm there to have fun, sound incredible, and get what performance I can out of it.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
1631021105267.png

In my opinion, there are better things to improve, like handling and brakes, before an exhaust, but if that's your priority, do research through the search function, and then contact someone like Sean, or another member possibly selling a used system, if you want to try to do it less-expensively. Sean will most-likely have used quality systems too. Consider something like a Jet-Hot coating on a used system, assuming it's not chrome.

Parminio

Reaction score
You will then have a machine that can stop and go round corners.
That's what I really need. I'm fine with the power and looks and I like listening to my tunes while I ride. Most aftermarket exhaust would not allow me to do that.

Besides, every time I've ever had a white knuckled moment on my Vmax, which are few and far between these days, it's because I couldn't stop any faster.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
The complete front end (re-use your OEM front wheel, axle, and forkbrace/fender mount, handlebars, speedo mount, & headlight and mount) from a 1993-2007 is 3 mm larger dia for the sliders, downtubes, and triple trees, it also has 298 mm brake rotors, and two pairs opposed pistons for the calipers. The early 1985-1992 front end is 40 mm triple trees, downtubes, sliders, and single opposed piston brakes, w/smaller dia brake rotors, I think they're 282 mm.

Add RICOR wave-washer stacks (a drop-in addition to the front end, replacing the old-technology damper rods, and providing you with adjustable damping in the fork action, though disassembly is required to adjust) or same-function Race Tech Cartridge emulators, either Race Tech specific weight-to-order spring rate front springs, or Progressive Suspension progressively-wound front springs, some HH pads, and stainless steel brake lines. Now you have a well-upgraded front end, variable damping, better brakes (calipers, larger rotors, SS brake hydraulic lines, and top-notch brake pads), and it's all bolt-on. Ensure any used downtubes have absolutely no pitting in the area where the fork seals operate, if they do, they're junk. New ones aftermarket are $200 apiece from Race Tech, there are other suppliers; OEM are stupid-expensive. Of course, new fork seals and proper viscosity oil since it's all-apart, use OEM seals, they aren't much more-expensive than aftermarket.

Going to an USD fork (upside-down) is much-more expensive, and you have the issue of speedo operation, very-expensive triple trees, and how to set-up the speedo and headlight, and what front wheel. I'd spend the difference between going to USD forks and doing the 1993-2007 43 mm front end on a replacement rear wheel in 17" or 18" size, and converting to radial tires. You can rfe-use the OEM front wheel for a radial tire, though the width is not optimal, if you go that route, use a same width radial front tire 110 X18' and get the tallest aspect ratio you can find, to help preserve cornering clearance.

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
Going to an USD fork (upside-down) is much-more expensive, and you have the issue of speedo operation, very-expensive triple trees, and how to set-up the speedo and headlight, and what front wheel.

I've spoke to to a couple of people who have fitted USD forks who said there was little difference with a breathed on set of the later forks.

Royalstrike

Reaction score
New to the forum with a 1992 vmax that I would like to upgrade the stock exhaust and preferably not wanting to rejet the carburetors which where just rebuilt. Looking for input, direction and advice.
The main purpose of the initial conversation was created from the motorcycle having previous ownership and the previous owner removed
the catalytic converter, added a spacer pipe of some sort and monkeyed with the original bafflers. A very poor job to say the least. I would like to
make the changes for looks and functionality. Simple, effective and user friendly

Latest posts