Upgrade front breaks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Morley's Tokico 3 pairs of opposed pistons (6 pistons total, on one side of your front wheel) and a B-I-G rotor is probably the best bang for the buck, if you're staying with the smaller front end w/the 40 mm downtubes ('85-'89).

Not wishing to sound obtuse bit it would depend on which 2 piston calipers and rotors you are referring to.
I have original front breaks and tubes and want to know if anyone knows if the later model factory 2 piston per caliper and rotors will mount to original 1986 tubes

Sean Morley's Tokico 3 pairs of opposed pistons (6 pistons total, on one side of your front wheel) and a B-I-G rotor is probably the best bang for the buck, if you're staying with the smaller front end w/the 40 mm downtubes ('85-'89).

I’ve put up with the original breaks for a long time. I’m exploring the possibility of replacing these originals with “something” either after market or Yamaha OEM later model 2 piston caliper and larger rotors mounted to my original tubes.

I picked up a used pair of Blue Dot calipers, but after switching to EBC HH brake pads in the stock 1997 calipers, haven't had the desire to convert.

Anything Gen. 1 VMax after 1992 (that means, 1993 and newer) are four pistons! That means two pairs of opposed pistons

X/X
X/X

where / is the rotor

I did this conversion this past spring. The Tokico calipers were used on the GEN1 Hayabusa. I also went to braided steel lines at the same time. This is an incredible upgrade. Highly recommended.

The shot is just after the install and after I had discovered that cheaping out and not replacing the copper crush washers left me with a leak on one side. Pissed me off enough to order the stainless lines that I don’t have handy photo of right now.

With these calipers coupled with stainless lines, I’ve been practicing my stoppies.

14EC3FA0-353A-4844-8557-6413E6933534.jpeg

Last edited:
Medic this was very helpful. If you don’t mind what did this cost assuming you did the work yourself and where you got the parts?

Sorry gentialmen I responded to the wrong rider. I addressed my last response to Medic and i ment to thank Desert Max. But i am thankful for all the help to my question. Still working on how the communication works on this site, new guy

On another note can anyone tell me how to use the forum to locate a good Max wrench in my area?

Mines an 86 also. Was there a pot of fabrication to do to get the 6 pot calipers mounted?

The kits that Sean Morley sells include his adapter brackets. You can see it in mine above, the caliper spacing is close but a bit too wide for the lower fork mounting points. It's the bracket with the holes in it. With the Morley kit in hand (plus the later version Vmax discs which are required), installation is a breeze.

Latest posts

Back