Usb port on ignition power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selva

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm installing the quadlock wireless phone charger on my 2010 vmax. I want to have the power supply to only go to the charger when the ignition is on. Just wondering where or what wire would be the best to splice into. I'll be attaching the charger to the handle bars so I guess closer to that the better so keep me from running wires all along the bike.

Thanks in advance

These 2 points have voltage with the ignition on. Im 99% sure it's still there once the bike starts but I would double check before wrapping everything up. I couldn't start my bike to check.
IMG_20200608_210947.jpg IMG_20200608_210955.jpg

That's to the left of the battery BTW.

These 2 points have voltage with the ignition on. Im 99% sure it's still there once the bike starts but I would double check before wrapping everything up. I couldn't start my bike to check.
View attachment 71893 View attachment 71894

That's to the left of the battery BTW.

Thank you, so if this is live with motor started I would tap positive into one of those and the negative straight to the negative terminal right? And that should give me power with ignition on only? Sorry I'm kinda new to this.

Selva,

I am in the process of converting the PDF from the shop manual into a real CAD drawing of the electrical system. I do not have that finished yet, but here is the PDF which unfortunately is spread over two pages. When I have the drawing done, I will be able to plot the full system on a single sheet in any size I need. This is from the 2017 manual so be careful. I doubt it has changed much from 2010.

Attachments

• 2017 Color Elec Diagram.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Thank you, so if this is live with motor started I would tap positive into one of those and the negative straight to the negative terminal right? And that should give me power with ignition on only? Sorry I'm kinda new to this.

Correct.

I pulled the terminal out and soldered mine. Then added a relay in case I wanted to add electronics latter. Put the relay close to the battery for easy access.

Last question. The wires in the pictures you sent. Do you know what they lead too? Would you recommend taping into the wire or using a fuse tap?

You could tap it, or solder to it. It is fused but it's always good to have your tapped wire fused as well with the proper sized fuse.

Selva,

I am in the process of converting the PDF from the shop manual into a real CAD drawing of the electrical system. I do not have that finished yet, but here is the PDF which unfortunately is spread over two pages. When I have the drawing done, I will be able to plot the full system on a single sheet in any size I need. This is from the 2017 manual so be careful. I doubt it has changed much from 2010.

Here are some complete diagrams that can be printed in a large format.

Attachments

• Gen 2 VMax Wiring Diagrams.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Thanks for all your help gents. I think I'm going to use a fuse tap with the parking lighting fuse or signaling system fuse and hopefully that works. This will allow my tap to have its own fuse as well. I'll post updates incase some newbie like me is interested later.

Here are some complete diagrams that can be printed in a large format.
These are much better than the one in the manual I bought. Many thanks.

I will compare with the 2017 drawing and see if I can build a real .dwg from this. The follow on from that is that modifications to the drawing are easy for the bike so that I can have an "as built" for modifications to the bike.

Back