Use of FZR1000 front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Not an USD fork. I recently bought a 1990 FZR1000 front fork/wheel/trees/brakes complete to swap onto my VMax.

Today I was able to get a set of VMax '93+ (mine is '92) downtubes & sliders from another member, he wasn't using them & gave them to me very reasonably, they look to be in great shape, thanks Mike! Now I am thinking of using the FZR1000 triple trees w/the VMax '93+ downtubes/sliders, & the FZR1000 brakes. The downtube dia is the same, 43 mm. The spacing on the brake calipers' mounting points is the same as the '93+ VMax downtubes (~100 mm), the steering head bearings I believe are the same, and I can use the FZR1000 calipers on the '93 sliders. I will need some 298 mm rotors though, the '93-07 VMax size. The FZR has 320's. So I am looking for some if ya got 'em reasonably-priced, please PM me, thanks.

Actually, if I just got a top & bottom triple tree set for a '93+ VMax, I would eliminate the mods to mount the bars to the FZR set. I do not know if the bar riser is the same for the 1985-1992 as it is for the 1993-07 VMax. If it was the same spacing for the riser to top tree fasteners, then I could use my '92 riser on the newer top triple tree. I was just trying to figure out how to use what I already have on-hand.

So if you have a top & bottom triple tree/stem set for a '93+ & a pair of same yr. brake discs (rotors), all in good shape, PM me w/pricing. My zip for shipment calcs is 33019. Thanks.

You're way over my head with all of this but I will bounce your thread to keep it active for someone else to answer...

Good Luck,
Dave

The Calipers are the same (though your FZR set should be Gold). The R1 sets would swap as would the 6 piston sets from the FZR mid 90's (only a few models had them).

The riser, clamp, and signal crown are the same for all years Vmax. You would only need the upper and lower triple (Which I might have). In fact you may only need the upper but can't remember the spacing and rake on the FZR lower setup.

Sean

Thank-you for the input, guys. I wondered about the FZR lower dimensions & I think you could remove the upper from the VMax bike & see how-close the FZR lower came to slipping into place instead of the VMax upper tree. A bit crude, but it should be fairly-obvious if it is way-off. I believe the tree stems are the same dia but I do not know how the lengths of the stems compare. Disassembled, it should be easy but you should be able to get an idea from measuring from the top surface of the VMax lower to the bottom of the VMax upper. In any event, you can always press out one stem for the other if it is not a direct swap-in. There are two relieved holes in the FZR top tree, they are bushed w/what appear to be steel sleeves ~8 mm dia. but I have not measured the VMax riser to see how-close they are to what I would need for the handlebar riser spacing to swap-in easily. The bikes/parts are in two different places which makes it a bit difficult. I am going to try and find out more this week if time & scheduling permits. I still would need a set of the 298 mm '93-07 front rotors.

Sean, if you can check on availability of either the '93-07 trees & some rotors to match, and PM me, I will post-up what I discover about the FZR front end. One other question-is the fork brace different for the '85-92 vs. '93-07? If so, I would also need that.

FYI, on the FZR forums (here i credit 'fzronline.com') those who have taken the time to compare the '89-90 FZR1000 conventional front ends set-up well say they are every bit the equal of the USD '91-94 FZR1000 forks. Of course, when you are comparing the USD 'flash & sizzle' eye-candy appeal to a conventional fork, 'no comparison.'

That's OK w/me, who doesn't like an underdog?

Thank-you for the input, guys. I wondered about the FZR lower dimensions & I think you could remove the upper from the VMax bike & see how-close the FZR lower came to slipping into place instead of the VMax upper tree. A bit crude, but it should be fairly-obvious if it is way-off. I believe the tree stems are the same dia but I do not know how the lengths of the stems compare. Disassembled, it should be easy but you should be able to get an idea from measuring from the top surface of the VMax lower to the bottom of the VMax upper. In any event, you can always press out one stem for the other if it is not a direct swap-in. There are two relieved holes in the FZR top tree, they are bushed w/what appear to be steel sleeves ~8 mm dia. but I have not measured the VMax riser to see how-close they are to what I would need for the handlebar riser spacing to swap-in easily. The bikes/parts are in two different places which makes it a bit difficult. I am going to try and find out more this week if time & scheduling permits. I still would need a set of the 298 mm '93-07 front rotors.

Sean, if you can check on availability of either the '93-07 trees & some rotors to match, and PM me, I will post-up what I discover about the FZR front end. One other question-is the fork brace different for the '85-92 vs. '93-07? If so, I would also need that.

FYI, on the FZR forums (here i credit 'fzronline.com') those who have taken the time to compare the '89-90 FZR1000 conventional front ends set-up well say they are every bit the equal of the USD '91-94 FZR1000 forks. Of course, when you are comparing the USD 'flash & sizzle' eye-candy appeal to a conventional fork, 'no comparison.'

That's OK w/me, who doesn't like an underdog?

early and late fork braces are different

I thought they might be but had not compared them yet, thank-you for the feedback.

Garret already told you the braces are different. Email me directly for any parts you would like and I'll price them out for you. I am sure I have a few different options for trees and even complete front ends (and any other part you'd probably ever want).

Sean
[email protected]

Back