Use of Kawasaki ZX14 Masters Brake & Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybergrizzly

Reaction score
I think someone mentioned that he uses ZX14 master cylinders (Brake & Clutch) on his Vmax. I understand the ZX14 masters are manufactured by Nissin. Need a bit more info.

1. Will the OEM '98 Vmax brake/clutch lines fit the masters by just plug and playing ?

2. Will all ZX14 years fit (7/8" bar) ?

3. Has anyone fit a plastic or aluminum reservoir directly on top of these masters ? After removing the hose/tube/cap in the masters. Something that would look like the picture below from forum member 88vmx12.

The masters that I plan to use are masters from 2006 thru 2011 ZX14 as shown below.

Thanks...Al

Attachments

• nissinres1.jpg
    nissinres1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 52
  • $(KGrHqV,!hME+nIcZJT1BQT2tHY(2!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!hME+nIcZJT1BQT2tHY(2!~~60_12.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 43
  • $(KGrHqJHJBwFBDZ7wZ9DBQdGwL)tQQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJBwFBDZ7wZ9DBQdGwL)tQQ~~60_57.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 44
Thanks, Garret. Just PM Diablotin.

Satariel666...saw your candy red beauty...NICE. As a matter of fact, I am planning to order the same scoops and maybe a belly pan myself from Exactrep. Soon. I also noticed the masters in your red beauty...are those from a ZX14 ? I searched your posts ...wow, 20 pages. I will check them out. Any specific thread to look after? Thanks and sorry for asking too much.

Some teaser pics and for the remaining story click on my sig below... one detail though. I never used these masters with stock calipers. Im running ISR 6 pots on one bike and R1 radial 4 pots on the other...

12052012715.jpg

12052012714.jpg

12052012711.jpg

Wow...Fred, quite a story on your 2 bikes. You left me speechless. I hate you with those "teaser pics"..ha, ha, ha.

Ok..pages 8 (ZX14 masters) and 24 (new masters as above). As I understand, the ZX14 masters are 14mm same as Vmax OEM masters so they should work with my stock calipers (hopefully). You did not mentioned where did you get the last masters (above pics) and the plug-in reservoirs, those are VERY NICE.

Thanks....for your help. Al

Vmax masters are 5/8" which is very close to 16mm
Not sure what size the bore is on the ZX masters.

I using a zx clutch master. I have a custom line that is just a bit shorter than stock. The banjo fitting on the line is bent so that it will clear the clutch switch on the bottom of the master. You may be able to orient a stock line to clear the switch but the routing may look a little odd. Or, just remove the switch if needed and use a banjo bolt switch.

images

I don't know much about the fancy reservoirs

Thanks, Garret. Just PM Diablotin.

Satariel666...saw your candy red beauty...NICE. As a matter of fact, I am planning to order the same scoops and maybe a belly pan myself from Exactrep. Soon. I also noticed the masters in your red beauty...are those from a ZX14 ? I searched your posts ...wow, 20 pages. I will check them out. Any specific thread to look after? Thanks and sorry for asking too much.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14713&page=6

I've updated them a little bit adding some protrusions to the cover.
I've also prepolished the masters casings but dont have a pic and my bike is 600 miles from me.

Clutch radial was made only for zx14 but brake radial pump was also installed in zx6r and zx10r - they are the same.

Check ebay for some very good second hand at a good price.
I think I created a thread about it.

Zx14 dont come with a mirror mount, just get an adaptor from ebay will do the trick.

Some reservoir are available on ebay sometimes. I still need to remove soon the ugly ones I have. Got some machined with circlip mount.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

1. Thanks, Mike. I think the banjo switch bolt might do the trick. Good advise.

2. Satariel666. EXCELLENT Thread. Thank you, Vmax Bro. From what I read, I can still mix the ZX14 radial masters with the Vmax OEM front califpers. What I still don't get is what exactly would I feel different when pulling the lever compared to the OEM Vmax brake master.

3. Michael...read your PM, thanks.

From what I can figure out, there's nothing wrong with by buying a matching set of ZX14 masters and they will work with my '98 vmax, right ? Ahhh, I will also be checking for maybe matching sets from ZX10 or ZX6s.

Wow...Fred, quite a story on your 2 bikes. You left me speechless. I hate you with those "teaser pics"..ha, ha, ha.

Ok..pages 8 (ZX14 masters) and 24 (new masters as above). As I understand, the ZX14 masters are 14mm same as Vmax OEM masters so they should work with my stock calipers (hopefully). You did not mentioned where did you get the last masters (above pics) and the plug-in reservoirs, those are VERY NICE.

Thanks....for your help. Al

The masters are ZX-14 with fancy levers. The reservoirs were adapted for this specific Nissin port...

1. Thanks, Mike. I think the banjo switch bolt might do the trick. Good advise.

2. Satariel666. EXCELLENT Thread. Thank you, Vmax Bro. From what I read, I can still mix the ZX14 radial masters with the Vmax OEM front califpers. What I still don't get is what exactly would I feel different when pulling the lever compared to the OEM Vmax brake master.

3. Michael...read your PM, thanks.

From what I can figure out, there's nothing wrong with by buying a matching set of ZX14 masters and they will work with my '98 vmax, right ? Ahhh, I will also be checking for maybe matching sets from ZX10 or ZX6s.

You can't find matching sets for ZX-6R or ZX-10R because they use cable operated clutch. Kawasaki Concours also uses similar clutch master but with different reservoir.

Edit: CBR1000RR also has hydraulic clutch but with a tilted reservoir built on master and later GSXR1000s also have hydraulic clutch with remote reservoir.

Last edited:
You will be happy with zx14 masters. Associated with R1 calipers and good rotors you will end up with very strong braking I can tell. I see no use for me to go for 6 pistons calipers as I already brakr with 2 fingers with no effort.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance: Thank you, Michael. Almost all the information I need.

Just one more question. I have not disassembled one of those ZX14 master cylinders ever. Removing the hose/tube/cap assembly to which the plastic reservoir is attached to is a matter of prying the cap with a flat screwdriver and pulling the tube/cap off or is there more to it ?

I am a happy Vmaxer. Al

Mod Edit: By the way...Diablotin, very nice ride of yours. Red is the other color I've been thinking of painting my Vmax. Very NICE, congratulations.

Back