Useful trick

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene Brad

Reaction score
Just came across this thought it could be a good fix for random breakage. I know I will try it. I'm curiouse how well it will sand smooth and paint. It could be a quick alternative to Bondo patches I often to do on metal door frames. The title is a bit misleading.

https://youtu.be/KU2qph2vG9Y

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

if you are a modeler, or work w/RC toys, this has been a method of repair used by hobbyists for years. He could have presented the "tip" in less-than a minute, easily.

Listening to him mispronounce the name for superglue, I think he should look that up to learn it correctly.

Cutting-apart o-rings? I never heard about that one before. Nor would I ever consider using superglue to make a field fix instead of using the correct seal/o-ring. And using superglue to hold an o-ring in-place, "just say, no!" I can think of other things that work better, like Permatex non-rigid drying sealant, or water-soluble lubricant, rather than a hard-drying substance like superglue.

if you are a modeler, or work w/RC toys, this has been a method of repair used by hobbyists for years. He could have presented the "tip" in less-than a minute, easily.

Listening to him mispronounce the name for superglue, I think he should look that up to learn it correctly.

Cutting-apart o-rings? I never heard about that one before. Nor would I ever consider using superglue to make a field fix instead of using the correct seal/o-ring. And using superglue to hold an o-ring in-place, "just say, no!" I can think of other things that work better, like Permatex non-rigid drying sealant, or water-soluble lubricant, rather than a hard-drying substance like superglue.
I agree with you on the o rings, and the not so useful stuff in the video.
Do you know how well one of these patches sands and paints?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have used it to piece-together some plastic piece where I didn't care about aesthetics, it held-up well. As to finishing it like bodywork, I haven't.

You know superglue sets quickly, I think the guy may be misinformed about the powder making it dry quicker, I don't think it does, but I've never cared-enough to look it up online. If you have a hobby store by you where they sell and service RC crafts, you could probably get some tips about the use of this technique.

Awhile ago I bought a plastic welding kit but I've never used it. As with any technique, practice makes perfect. I'd try working on something you don't care about first before I tried this on something valuable.

Might work for small Knicks, or cuts something to that effect, not sure about large scale. I think body filler would be easier to apply, and it's softer compound is a little forgiving when it comes to sanding, until it's fully cured, then it's like sanding concrete. I wouldn't use it on bumpers or anything that's made to "flex" or give under certain conditions. May work good on plastic holding tanks, or reservoirs. Was thinking along the lines of our expansion tanks between our legs, but would it stand the heat?? Might work good on our fenders, maybe mend a cracked tail light or something.

It's become common in the repair industry to cut and rejoin them now. Especially the large ones. O-ring material is now sold in lengths, to be cut and joined with super glue type bonding agents. I was skeptical myself. The thinking was, to have any size on hand rather than having to wait for an order to arrive. I keep an SAE & a metric set handy, but there's always going to be an o-ring we don't have. Cutting and resizing is now a viable repair.

Back