Using Gen 2 Handlebar controls on a Gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
My cousin picked up a 09 vmax and aside from being an overall amazing bike the handlebar controls are much more updated and nicer looking than the gen 1 controls on my bike. Mine where total shit and I powdercoated the boxes and painted the plastic buttons. I am still not happy with the look. I am thinking that it shouldn't be a big deal to use the gen 2 controls on the gen 1. Handle bar sizes are standard (I think 7/8"?) and the functionality is the same with the exception of a hazard button on the gen 2 (correct me if I am wrong). I'm sure the electrical connections are different but it would be easy to put the connectors from the gen 1 onto the new control wires. So do you guys think this is possible? Also is anyone parting of gen 2 Vmaxs yet? If not I guess parts can be had from Yamaha.

definitely possible. there may be other yamaha parts bin options as well. sometimes certain circuits will have less/more wires with the new pods which can be a pain. if you have the same # of wires a lot of times its just popping them into the new old connector to tie into the loom.

Latest posts

Back