Using oil coolers as radiators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
Any reason why not ?
They will be brand new so no contamination issues.
I've researched and found that 19 row,235x50mm matrix coolers hold 0.38l.
The max rad is 0.75 so 2 of these will be just over.
Fittings and dash size will be same bore as max rad.
Only question is flow rate....I can't see any prob as hot water is thinner than hot oil.

Ps...don't ask me why lol :ummm:

Any reason why not ?
They will be brand new so no contamination issues.
I've researched and found that 19 row,235x50mm matrix coolers hold 0.38l.
The max rad is 0.75 so 2 of these will be just over.
Fittings and dash size will be same bore as max rad.
Only question is flow rate....I can't see any prob as hot water is thinner than hot oil.

Ps...don't ask me why lol :ummm:

The first thing that popped in my head was why. :hmmm:
Over at the custom fighter forum you see a lot of interesting things.

Lol.....
I don't want to extend the r1 forks so just looking at twin rads to bypass clearance issues.
My logic is only in a straight line would you brake hard enough to bottom out the forks...so if there was a gap between the rads the wheel would miss.

But that's to easy lol.
Nah...I dont like the look...to much chrome on show...

I want the low slung look..plus the stock rad is fugly as.....

Sorry...meant the chrome on the extended legs.
I'm not into extra covers. ...thats one thing I dont like on stock ma..too many covers that serve no purpose besides decoration...dummy air scoops included....

Lol.....
I don't want to extend the r1 forks so just looking at twin rads to bypass clearance issues.
My logic is only in a straight line would you brake hard enough to bottom out the forks...so if there was a gap between the rads the wheel would miss.

You appear to be ignoring the issue of steering geometry if you keep the R1's at their original length which will drop the hradstock.
I would have thought that the reduction in castor would, at best, make the handling somewhat lively.
At worst you may not make it to the first corner!

Sorry Steve, hadn't explained other stuff....
I've set the bike up so the lower frame rail is still parallel to the ground...just lower...
This has kept rake the same as stock.
As I've removed the whole subframe/rear shock months etc I'm now building that part to suit.
It's set up giving me legal (in Australia) 90mm ground clearance loaded up.
I've got a digital spirit level and the front end is same angle as vmax.

I see, this has reduced the clearance between the rear of the front wheel and the radiator. See where you are coming from.

'Fraid I don't know the answer to your question though.

Mr. Sharky-
Just took a look at my bike.
Why not raise the radiator? Seems to be at least 30 mm to play with, more if you were to indent the top header of the rad with a ball peen, giving it more clearance around the headstock stem.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back