V Boost intake O rings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
Last year when I did my valve cover gaskets I replaced the O rings between the V Boost intakes and the head. I basically matched what I thought were the correct size o rings but now I see the #1 cylinder has a leak that's running down the cylinder and onto the crank case and think maybe it's the o rings. Anybody know what size they are or if anyone has those o rings? Gonna do my carbs in a week or so after I move. Thanks in advance for help.

Good call Sean. It's #2, front left.

After further inspection, there's leakage all around the head gasket on that cylinder as well. Can't tell if it's coming from the intake and running down on the gasket line or someplace else. Can you blow one side of the head gasket where only one side would leak? Never really got it that hot, into the red on the gauge. Haven't synced the carbs since I've had it. That can also run it hot, correct? I also thought of a stuck float on the carb but I have the overflow line on all my carbs. Stuck float would come out the line, correct?

I'll need to pull the carbs off to see the whole top end. I have been getting really bad gas mileage (75-80 miles when the fuel light comes on and very strong, rich exhaust smell) and a faint smell of coolant. Thought it was the temp sender near the filler cap of the radiator where I saw some corrosion. The liquid that leaked doesn't smell like coolant, more like oil. I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks for the great response's guys.

Are you sure it isn't a leak around the allen bolts? Bolts on #2 & #3 (left front & right rear) extend into oil passages inside the heads. Once removed it is common for those bolts to leak oil.

That's where I was going with that question Dan-o. I bet it's leaking past the bolt.

Sean

Are y'all talking about the Allen bolt with a head the size of silver dollar and sits flush right in front of the spark plug? Or the four that hold down the valve covers?

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Don't remember if I checked the bolt size. It looks like the inside bolt on #2 manifold that's covered with oil and dirt. The outside bolt is clean and dry. Will the longer bolt go back flush if it's in the short size hole? All the bolts snugged up from what I remember.

So is this just a check the size, tighten up and go or do I need to seal that allen bolt? Not sure what I would use to seal if it needs to be sealed? Loc tight, gasket seal?

I'll clean it up, check the bolts, tighten the bolt and check it after.

Thanks for the info guys!

Ninjaneer, that is an awesome step by step on the Manifold R & R.

That's where I'll start. Pull it all off and replace taking note of the bolt length's. I'll put a little Loc tight on them on replacement.

Thanks again.

Ninjaneer, that is an awesome step by step on the Manifold R & R.

That's where I'll start. Pull it all off and replace taking note of the bolt length's. I'll put a little Loc tight on them on replacement.

Thanks again.

just to make sure you understand, you're trying to form a thread "gasket", not trying to prevent the bolt from vibrating loose.

Back