V-boost is glorified solution for bad carburetors. Funny!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came on the site tonight to see if anyone could suggest a solution for my '85 Max problem, but I am not sure I want the answer now!
FYI, occasional misfire, leading to stall, sounds like one cylinder, only at tickover, only when bike fully warmed up. Otherwise runs perfectly.
Cheers, over and out.
Before you go digging deep into all sorts of other solutions I would start by simply checking the voltage when it is doing the misfire issue. AND, maybe even get it in the garage with the lights off (and headlight covered over or unplugged) to see if you see spark arcing when its running poorly. Low voltage has for sure caused misfires like you mention when warmed up.

Oh, yes, the in the darkness revealing arcing to ground of the spark plug leads is a thing. I had a coil doing that, on a Ford Van. It looked like Nikolai Tesla.

Tesla lightning.jpg

Well, maybe not that-bad!

Oh, yes, the in the darkness revealing arcing to ground of the spark plug leads is a thing. I had a coil doing that, on a Ford Van. It looked like Nikolai Tesla.

View attachment 78735

Well, maybe not that-bad!
Only a slight exaggeration if it was a Ford Transit. I always demonstrated the Van de Graaff at school, for some strange reason I really enjoyed that!

This was one of the faults I had on my VMax, and did find it at night by prodding around. The elec test readings were okay at ambient, but did not show the faults developing at temp. Plug leads and original caps were done.

Calculating replacement carb diameter to eliminate v-boost and keep 145 HP.
Based on 85 Magna V65 (116 HP, 36mm carb)
116/36 square =145/D square (D is substitute carb diameter)
D=sq. root((36 sq x 145)/116)=40
Kaw ZX11 (147HP) carbs are 40mm
My 82 Suzuki GS 1100L had 42mm cards probably not factory though, but 200 mph was as easy as twisting the throttle and was so much more manageable at high speed than my 98 Vmax. But again it had many mods to it also. But I've found the vmax at full throttle is 150 mph blur...gotta love it

Latest posts

Back