V-boost is glorified solution for bad carburetors. Funny!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another analogy:
2 icebreakers hook up England and tow it next to Greenland. If we know force, distance and time, we can calculate power. 😁
The sooner the better. We're sitting this week in a what we call a heatwave, circa 25-30, (77-86F) so the sooner the better, and of course hardly any homes have aircon.

Perhaps you could expand on why torque might be a useless figure?

You are ignoring the fact that work can be done in a linear or radial manner and why the term 'horse power' was first adopted.
You will be aware, no doubt, that James watt's claim to fame is for his work on improving steam engines.
If you wanted to compare how much work your steam engine could produce it seems reasonable that you compare it to something that your target audience would be familiar with i.e. a horse. Back in the late 18th and early nineteenth century when vehicles moving under their own power were still at the embryonic stage an new vocabulary was needed. Like many things in life as the machines evolves so did the vocabulary and how the terms are used.

As several previous post have tried to explain that torque and horse power (in the modern sense) are two different measurements.
Perhaps you should go back over previous posts and re-read the explanations?
We would be happy to expand on anything you don't understand.

I wonder that if torque is a useless figure then would it also mean we would need to convert our torque wrenches to read angular momentum and use H.P. as the value for tightening fasteners?

You write 'With that, we can see why most of the world doesn't use this as a valid unit of measure'. If that is the case can you explain why all vehicle manufactures give this figure in their engine specifications?

I do believe you misread my post, I stated IF it was a useless figure. I went on to explain that Nm is another measure of torque. Where the US uses Foot pounds, the metric world uses newton meters. These are the same, yes? Essentially, I am agreeing with the majority of posters here that torque is the number that matters most.

I do believe you misread my post, I stated IF it was a useless figure. I went on to explain that Nm is another measure of torque. Where the US uses Foot pounds, the metric world uses newton meters. These are the same, yes? Essentially, I am agreeing with the majority of posters here that torque is the number that matters most.

OK, thanks for the explanation. 👍

15 minutes of my life that I will never get back; I feel more stupid than an 81 year John Cleese should with his apparent high blood pressure brought on by his equally apparent poor diet.

Not to be that guy, but couldn't one also argue that riding a motorcycle might not be the best choice to extend your life expectancy. Seems another circular argument has been uncovered...

15 minutes of my life that I will never get back; I feel more stupid than an 81 year John Cleese should with his apparent high blood pressure brought on by his equally apparent poor diet.

Not to be that guy, but couldn't one also argue that riding a motorcycle might not be the best choice to extend your life expectancy. Seems another circular argument has been uncovered...
You are right! I got my bike license 16 years ago, since then I rode about 20 miles on highway, it is too scary. I never exceeded speed limit. After 40 bikes or so I have lowest "mileage" on the forum most likely. I used to fly paraglider and hangglider, skydived. Not anymore.

I have no idea if the formula is applicable or correct in this application, but on a purely formulaic basis, I think the OP was trying to express that:
(HPa / CDa ^2) = (HPb / CDb ^2).
Where HP is HorsePower and CD is Carb Diameter, and where "a" is the starting point and "b" is the desired end point. CDb is the value formerly known as "D".

So, CDb ^2 = (HPb / HPa) * (CDa ^2), simplified further means CDb = SQRT[(CDa ^2 / HPa) * HPb)]

Therefore: CDb = SQRT[ (36^2 / 116) * 145 ] = SQRT[ (1296 / 116) * 145 ] = SQRT[ 11.1724 * 145 ] = SQRT[ 1620 ] = 40.25

Verification: 116 / (36 ^2) = 0.0895 = 145 / (40.25 ^2) OR 116 / 1296 = 0.0895 = 145 / 1620

I have no idea if the formula is applicable or correct in this application, but on a purely formulaic basis, I think the OP was trying to express that:
Where HP is HorsePower and CD is Carb Diameter, and where "a" is the starting point and "b" is the desired end point. CDb is the value formerly known as "D".

So, CDb ^2 = (HPb / HPa) * (CDa ^2), simplified further means CDb = SQRT[(CDa ^2 / HPa) * HPb)]

Therefore: CDb = SQRT[ (36^2 / 116) * 145 ] = SQRT[ (1296 / 116) * 145 ] = SQRT[ 11.1724 * 145 ] = SQRT[ 1620 ] = 40.25

Verification: 116 / (36 ^2) = 0.0895 = 145 / (40.25 ^2) OR 116 / 1296 = 0.0895 = 145 / 1620

That's all very interesting but how would the formula change if I'd had fried eggs for breakfast?

That's all very interesting but how would the formula change if I'd had fried eggs for breakfast?
Some assumptions need to be made. If compared to a sugary cereal breakfast, I theorize that it would be more aromatic if you burped while speaking it (the formula)... ;-)

It would also be more aromatic if you burped "Long live OEM V-Boost V-Max Carbs".

It would depend on how close the VMax was to the frying pan, and the time of year. Also do you fry your eggs while sitting on your motorcycle, and with the engine running? :)

Raw toast will change the power to weight ratio.by .002% per slice at 5000 rpms. On a black vmax.
Stage 7 bikes show no significant power loss.

:)
If you understand about carbs, maybe you understand, that torque doesn't matter, unless specified with RPM, which is Power. I was unsuccessfully trying to explain that to people about 20 times.

:)
If you understand about carbs, maybe you understand, that torque doesn't matter, unless specified with RPM, which is Power. I was unsuccessfully trying to explain that to people about 20 times.

...and as I have tried to explain to you; that you can't have power without torque.
Both are relevant, both are necessary and both indicate how an engine will perform.

Trying to dismiss torque is like suggesting you can propel a rowing boat without using the oars.

Watt? I find that shocking, did you get any resistance from your parents on your current career path?

And I can't believe I missed this. Must have been all the noise that wasn't filtered properly that created a parasitic capacitance and corrupted my threshold of detection.

...and as I have tried to explain to you; that you can't have power without torque.
Both are relevant, both are necessary and both indicate how an engine will perform.

Trying to dismiss torque is like suggesting you can propel a rowing boat without using the oars.
It is useless, but entertaining. Let us say 2 Bandits, 1200 and 600 ride together, same weight with riders. Then both bikers increase power to let us say 70 HP. If they do that, bikes start accelerating equally. Are you with me so far? Ready for next step? So what is difference? Torque will be different about twice. 600 Bandit will have to have 2x more RPM to produce same power! Did you get it now? No? Still didn't? Acceleration will be identical, because they have same power, but torque will be twice different! So, do you still care about torque? I cannot believe I am still trying to explain. Maybe because it makes me smile when people don't understand. :)
I cannot simplify even more than this.

Back