V Boost or slipping clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattheroach

Reaction score
Ive had my max for about 6 months and really love it. I was hoping some of you guys could reassure me about a worry i have. When im in top gear and hit 6000rpm the V boost starts to kick in, but before any noticable increase in speed the revs rise to around 9000rpm for a second then drop to about 7000rpm and it is then that i notice an increase in power and speed. i dont think the clutch is slipping as i can spin the rear wheel with the front brake on. any ideas? thanks guys

:ummm:

Re: V Boost

It sounds like the clutch to me. A slipping clutch gets noticeable in the high gears first.

Do this:

Put bike in 5th gear ,rev it up to 3500-4000 rpm's then dump the clutch. If it slips, clutch is bad. If it stalls, clutch is okay.

Ive had my max for about 6 months and really love it. I was hoping some of you guys could reassure me about a worry i have. When im in top gear and hit 6000rpm the V boost starts to kick in, but before any noticable increase in speed the revs rise to around 9000rpm for a second then drop to about 7000rpm and it is then that i notice an increase in power and speed. i dont think the clutch is slipping as i can spin the rear wheel with the front brake on. any ideas? thanks guys

Your clutch is slipping...

N.Q.A.

clutch problems show up in higher gears under a torque load....holding front brake and spinning tire wont show a clutch problem all the time.....get the v boost to open in first gear watch the rpm.....probably will be fine sounds like a slip to me

Clutch is shot, are you using synthetic blend oil?

Remove your clutch steels have em sand blasted, and perfom the Double D clutch mod.

thanks guys, it was what i was dreading, i will try putting it in top gear and dumping the clutch just to be sure.

thanks guys, it was what i was dreading, i will try putting it in top gear and dumping the clutch just to be sure.

Clutch job is a peice of cake, you shouldn't need the steel plates usually, they can be sanded with scotchbrite, emery cloth or better yet bead blasted and re-used.

A full set of friction discs are about $70-$80 bucks.

There's some more links on here that can guide you through it....no special tools required either, and you don't even have to drain the oil...

As for the cover gaskets, most will disagree with me but I've had all my covers off at least twice now and shitcanned the gaskets the first time I pulled the covers. Clean the surfaces good and go back with a good permatex gasket maker. That's the way I've been doing mine and no leaks in many miles/ a couple of years.

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it but just that it is possible if a gasket gets hard to come by......

by the way...

I still love your avatar..

Rusty

Clutch job is a peice of cake, you shouldn't need the steel plates usually, they can be sanded with scotchbrite, emery cloth or better yet bead blasted and re-used.

A full set of friction discs are about $70-$80 bucks.

There's some more links on here that can guide you through it....no special tools required either, and you don't even have to drain the oil...

As for the cover gaskets, most will disagree with me but I've had all my covers off at least twice now and shitcanned the gaskets the first time I pulled the covers. Clean the surfaces good and go back with a good permatex gasket maker. That's the way I've been doing mine and no leaks in many miles/ a couple of years.

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it but just that it is possible if a gasket gets hard to come by......

by the way...

I still love your avatar..

Rusty

thanks for your advice, do you think stronger springs would help also?

You could add a second diaphragm spring (double D mod) to the stocker or get a Barnett kit which replaces the Yamaha plate and diaphragm spring for coil springs, or PCW makes a thicker diaphragm spring to replace the stocker.

I would use the stock (Yamaha) friction disks though.

All depends, if you arent a hard rider I would stick with the stock one spring setup. If you have little hands or the handshake of a dead fish you may not want to perform the Double D Mod. I heard a lot of people here cry that the clutch is to hard to hold.
Get you another clutch cover gasket and apply vaseline or grease to the side of the gasket that mates with the engine. You wont have to replace it ever.

All depends, if you arent a hard rider I would stick with the stock one spring setup. If you have little hands or the handshake of a dead fish you may not want to perform the Double D Mod. I heard a lot of people here cry that the clutch is to hard to hold.
Get you another clutch cover gasket and apply vaseline or grease to the side of the gasket that mates with the engine. You wont have to replace it ever.
I have Barnett in mine her Name is Isla. I Respect the Hell outta her at all times her stance and wheel base demands respect when falling into corners. But her and her we are Too Peas! The Clutch is Kinda a stout pull but I like that it's continuous from the Very Tip Top to the Grips Bottom and back up. If it's a long light I have always Set back up in neutral even with the Stock Clutch Pressure seems to me it could be hard on the components to keep engaged long stretchs alot. It Seems every red light or Stop Sign she looks back and Say Hell Poe Let's Go!!!!!!! I have to tell her NO A Lot or her partner wouldn't have license to participate at all lol.

On a standard engine this shouldn't be necessary unless you habitually abuse the clutch.
First step would be to measure the friction discs to see how near to the wear limit they are. Mine started slipping before they were at the minimum.

Rotella T4 Diesel 15-40 or Torco T4s the rest suck no matter what.

An interesting opinion...it is enlightening to know that the 10W-30 semi synthetic oil that has never caused me any issues over the last twenty years sucks. 😨

Latest posts

Back