V Boost Testing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Anybody know how I can do a static test of the VBoost unit?

i.e. How can I make sure that my V-boost unit is;

a) Working at all
b) Opening when it should
c) Correctly adjusted

Because this is dependent upon

d) Getting a correct vacumm reading from the V-Boost Sensor

and

e) Getting an accurate RPM signal (from the coils ?; crank trigger?)

OPEN FOR DISCUSSION:punk:

There is no adjustment on the stock vboost for when it opens, if you just give it enouth throttle for mild acceleration in say 3rd gear you should feel the boost come in about 6000 rpm or a little higher. You can look under the carbs when it cycles when the key is turnd on to see that it opens all the way.

I had a problem with my 89 when I first bought it. The bracket was bent under the carbs not allowing the boost to cycle. If you hear the whir of the servo, 3 times when you turn the key on and can see full movement of the cable under the carbs, it should be fine.. I've gotten so used to the boost kicking in, I don't notice it any more...:bang head:

There are procedures in the manuals should you need more...

Can't help with much but I'll try.

As noted, you can hear and visually see if the vboost is functioning. To eliminate the controller from the equation and do a test of the servo itself, check out this thread.

Cable adjustment, vboost synch and pulley clearance check are the only things i am aware of that can be changed. See the attached document for reference on how to perform these adjustments. Also, there is a sticky in the carb forum on how to adjust the cable.

I really have no idea how to assist with the other questions, sorry.

Attachments

• vboost adjust and synch.pdf
    212.9 KB · Views: 56
Hi everybody! Sorry for my English, I am trying to do my best:)
I have a similar question so decided to write here. My excuses to old school VMax owners but I want to use GSXR dashboard with gear indicator and digital speedo on my bike.
Does somebody know how this five pins connector is used by v-boost controller? The idea is to set gear indicator as v-boost butterfly valve indicator. It takes a signal from the gear position sensor (five speeds)
Correct me please if I wrong. Controller gets the revs information from TCI. There are five pins in this connector. Two are for 12 vdc so they could be used as open/close indication. What other three for? If they give a signal for three semi-quarter-positions then they could be used to indicate these positions through the gear indicator.
Another question is what is this three pin connector do (please see picture attached)? I am not good at electricity but I need to give an idea to my friend who helps me with this stuff.
Thank you, Andrew

Attachments

• 268.jpg
    268.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 15
Hi everybody! Sorry for my English, I am trying to do my best:)
I have a similar question so decided to write here. My excuses to old school VMax owners but I want to use GSXR dashboard with gear indicator and digital speedo on my bike.
Does somebody know how this five pins connector is used by v-boost controller? The idea is to set gear indicator as v-boost butterfly valve indicator. It takes a signal from the gear position sensor (five speeds)
Correct me please if I wrong. Controller gets the revs information from TCI. There are five pins in this connector. Two are for 12 vdc so they could be used as open/close indication. What other three for? If they give a signal for three semi-quarter-positions then they could be used to indicate these positions through the gear indicator.
Another question is what is this three pin connector do (please see picture attached)? I am not good at electricity but I need to give an idea to my friend who helps me with this stuff.
Thank you, Andrew

The three pin connector is your input to the v-boost controller two wires are for 12VDC. The other wire is a signal from a ignition coil.

I'm not sure what the three "other" wires in the round plug do:confused2:

The three pin connector is your input to the v-boost controller two wires are for 12VDC. The other wire is a signal from a ignition coil.

I'm not sure what the three "other" wires in the round plug do:confused2:
Thank you very much for this information!:) At least I know now about three pin connector:):) Does it mean that v-boost controller do not take a siglal about revs from TCI but get it directly from ignition coil?
Thanks, Andrew

On your year bike, there is a grey wire that lead from the "ignition control unit". This grey wire is tapped into coil #1. This same grey wire also provides a signal to the v-boost controller. So, the coil doesn't provide the signal to the v boost controller. The ignition control unit signals the coil and it also signals the v boost controller.

90-07 models are similar. The difference is the wire that signals the v boost controller is yellow. The yellow wire is tied to coil #4 instead of coil #1.

Hope this helps things instead of confusing things. Check out the attachment. Pictures are better than words .

View attachment 85_89 color wiring diagram US and Canada.pdf

On your year bike, there is a grey wire that lead from the "ignition control unit". This grey wire is tapped into coil #1. This same grey wire also provides a signal to the v-boost controller. So, the coil doesn't provide the signal to the v boost controller. The ignition control unit signals the coil and it also signals the v boost controller.

90-07 models are similar. The difference is the wire that signals the v boost controller is yellow. The yellow wire is tied to coil #4 instead of coil #1.

Hope this helps things instead of confusing things. Check out the attachment. Pictures are better than words .

View attachment 21962
Thanks again! Will use this and then post a results of modification.

Back