V-Max Parts Purchase Opportunity

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Y'all probably know I live in Hungary, which makes buying parts extremely difficult. I'll be travelling to the U.S. soon, and need your opinion.

I'm considering purchasing a Stage 1 jet kit and K&N air filter.
I would like to buy the 4 individual K&N pod filters, but they're kind of expensive.

Other factors:
There are 3 drag racing events I would like to enter this year. There have been only 0-5 others in my class. I only enter to have fun and do the best I can. My best ET is 11.69, but would be interesting to see the results with proper launch, air, fuel, exhaust combination.
My exhaust is custom (true 4-into-4) and relatively free-flowing. It may be the loudest exhaust I've ever heard on a bike. I'm looking at complimenting this with matching air and fuel.
I ride daily with a Cobra exhaust system, so I don't disturb the neighbors too bad at 6:00 am every morning.

Hello and welcome,

First and foremost the Corba exhaust system may sound nice, but they make the vmax loose over 10 hp due to it doesnt have any restriction. Without backpressure you will loose performance. Even rejetting the bike will not gain what you've lost. My first vmax, '95, had a cobra and it dyno'd in at 91 rwhp even with a stage 1 and K&N. So jetting doesnt make a difference anyhow. The vmax needs a true aftermarket full exhaust system with proper jetting.

I personally am running an old Dale Walker pure 4 to 1 exhaust system with the Morley Muscle jet kit which is comparable to a stage 7 setup.

My suggestions to you is perhaps just get the K & N and leave the carbs alone unless you get a full aftermarket exhaust system (with new headers). The stock headers dont allow enough airflow for the vmax to breath the way it should.

Just my 2 cents and I'm sure plenty of others will chime in too.

Here's a pic of my '05:

picture.php

Y'all probably know I live in Hungary, which makes buying parts extremely difficult. I'll be travelling to the U.S. soon, and need your opinion.

I'm considering purchasing a Stage 1 jet kit and K&N air filter.
I would like to buy the 4 individual K&N pod filters, but they're kind of expensive.

Other factors:
There are 3 drag racing events I would like to enter this year. There have been only 0-5 others in my class. I only enter to have fun and do the best I can. My best ET is 11.69, but would be interesting to see the results with proper launch, air, fuel, exhaust combination.
My exhaust is custom (true 4-into-4) and relatively free-flowing. It may be the loudest exhaust I've ever heard on a bike. I'm looking at complimenting this with matching air and fuel.
I ride daily with a Cobra exhaust system, so I don't disturb the neighbors too bad at 6:00 am every morning.

Yeah, I know the Cobra system makes less power.
Just so you are aware, I have 2 exhaust systems. The LOUD pipes (custom) and the Cobra system.
My custom system was installed on the bike when I bought it. I've never seen anything like it. The seller said a friend hand-made it for him. They are slip-ons to the stock head pipes.

Here's a video of the custom exhaust:

http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lotsokids/V-Max/New%20VMax/MOV_0077_zpsrgni6pcp.mp4

Don't buy a stage 1 kit. Ever.

You don't have custom exhaust. You have a custom slipon. If you have the stock head pipes there is no need for individual pod filters, a stage 7, or a muscle jet kit. No slip on makes power because the stock head pipes are restrictive.

You can buy the OEM replacement k&n filter but be aware it doesn't add HP to these bikes.

If you're after every bit of HP, buy a full exhaust and buy a stage 7 or muscle jet kit.

You can buy the OEM replacement k&n filter but be aware it doesn't add HP to these bikes.

If you're after every bit of HP, buy a full exhaust and buy a stage 7 or muscle jet kit.

So will I add any power by only adding stage 7 and K&N air filter?

Yep.....for power.... FIRST upgrade is a full exhaust, then stage 7, or Seans muscle jet kit. Also....a stage 1 jet kit, can be made to run with a Vmax.....but take the dynojet instructions and throw them out of the window, and tune the kit to the bike, and that is WAY leaner than the instructions.

You have to be able to flow out the air in order to make any benefit from increasing the air coming in. In short, you won't make any more power until you get rid of the stock primary pipes (the stuff coming off the heads). Every single slipon including your custom set still keeps those pipes so you've not eliminated the bottle neck in the system.

Then it's not as easy as simply increasing the pipe diameter. Scavenging is very important to engine efficiency and power creation.

Run smaller main jets with either Cobra's or the Custom pipes you have to lean it up a little to help get it burning more of the fuel.

If you want to truly make more power get the full header (pretty much any brand). I've got new as cheap as $650 (Voodoo) and a few used options (which vary). Some sample pics of the pipe work for you viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Exhaust Compare 1.jpg
    Exhaust Compare 1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Exhaust Comparison 2.jpg
    Exhaust Comparison 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back