V-Max to GSXR Conversion for Left Switch Housing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper Predator

Reaction score
Have you ever wanted the GSXR's Emergency Switch and Pass function to work on your V-Max? Here is a tutorial to make it happen.

It took me a long time and I wanted to ensure I was able to keep my original female fittings so if or when I disconnect the switch housing; I was able to keep my original connectors for the V-Max.

Here is a color chart to match up the wires as well:

Component
GSXR..................................... V-Max

Horn
Blk w/Blue.............................. Pink
Blk w/White............................ Black

HIGH / LO
Yellow..................................... Yellow
Orange................................... Blue w/Blk
White...................................... Green

Turn Signals
Lf: Turquois............................. Lf: Dark Green
Lite Blue.................................. Lite Brown w/White
Black....................................... Brown * Add Yellow w/Red

Side Stand
Blk w/Yellow............................. Blk w/Yellow
Blk w/White.............................. Blk w/Yellow

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

FinalPicture1.jpg

FinalPicture2.jpg

FinalPicture3.jpg

FinalPicture4.jpg

FinalPicture5.jpg

This last picture is for entertainment value, it was the testing phase.

VerifyingWireColors1.jpg

Last edited:
wow great write up, awesome detail in the pics, thanks, gonna have to do this mod

DAMN I am Jealous! Looks like something that will need to be done to my bike provided I can get the electronic cruise mod to work in the right housing

Gary, where are you sourcing the GSXR chrome housings and is there a match to the other (right) side. The Suzuki one looks more round than our stock controls. Problem with chroming our housings is you lose the nomenclature. Thanks for the time you expended to document this!

whats a 'pass' button? does it flash the highbeams?

Yeah, it turns the highbeam filament on also....same as pulling the stalk toward you on a Ford.

At least around here people take the "flash to pass" more as in insult and then will never get out of the left lane, or slow down, or flip you off.

A+ write up though....nice work.

Well done. Im another one interested to know about the chrome with lettering on top...

good job that, wish I'd documented my changes when I fitted the R1 switchgear to my vmax....

Cheers

John

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

PATMAX, to answer your questions:

I found the GSXR chrome housing on eBay for about $35 US Dollars, with shipping (I know, I got lucky). It was a single part, brand new. I just checked eBay and they have them for $65 US Dollars right now. It's a company on eBay called GIXTOWN.

Since the GSXR housing is chrome I also used an anti-seize on the threads for all the bolts. More of a preventative step if you live near the ocean.

I already had both my stock control housings chromed a long time ago, so I gave away my left side chrome switch housing to a friend. The words for the right hand controls for me was not an issue, but I thought about all the possibilities as well. The Start button has the writing on the actual button, so there are only 2 other buttons the reserve switch and the kill switch, which wasn't such a big deal for me.

I plan on posting 4 other modifications that will be helpful and 3 of them have never been done to my knowledge, the last one is a detailed step by step process on how to do the SPA Technique tachometer / speedometer, and gear indicator (yes, there is a gear indicator, it's located where the old ones have the SPA name on the dial face, it costs $50 more, but worth it in my opinion), that looks great and you can see what gear you are in finally. I think it's a red gear indicator color, not too sure until I get power to it. Also, I found a way to keep from prying the case apart or the metal ring that holds the original speedometer housing, you'll all see.

Thanks again everyone,
Gary

The reason I like the "Pass" switch is because when I want to use my high beam to see a street sign or something I don't have to do the annoying "click" on for high beams and "click" off when I'm done.

It's a little thing I know but the momentary high beam is very useful and I use that feature a lot. Even when I drive my toaster, I, I.. mean my car, I use the high beam to see things in the road and other stuff, it's spring loaded too so I like that feature, ok, I think you all get the point! <grin> I still grin this way....

-Gary

One note, the second to last photo you may have all noticed how thick my clutch lever is, well I purchased a master cylinder from a Royal Star. The clutch lever and brake levers are both originally chromed from the factory (OEM) and they are solid, no more thin bouncy levers.

Only one problem with this mod, it uses a 1 inch bar, so this is what I did.... I had an aluminum throttle body from my "used parts bin" and I have no idea what it came off of, I just picked it up one day at a bike junk yard because I thought it might come in handy one day. So, I took the throttle and cut a sleeve as wide as the clamp is for each reservoir. What you have to do is take a hack saw and cut the ring in the middle in one place only, this way it flexes and allows you to put tension on the handlebar by the reservoir clamp. I think I had to do just a little light sanding after I cut the ring in that one place. It works perfect and you now have a really beefy set of brake and clutch levers.

The cost wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think I paid something like $320 for both reservoirs at a local bike shop.

Ok, it's bothering me, I'm going to go back and do the right side housing switch.

-Gary

Last edited:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=1293Diablotin,

The wires were already ready to go for the "Emergency Switch," I didn't have to do anything to that piece or the "Pass" button.

The most challenging aspect of this project was the V-Max turn signals. How hard can turn signals be, well I found out. Inside the V-Max housing there is a "U" shaped metal tab that has to touch one side of the turn signal "U" to activate the turn signal each time you use the turn signal. I tried to design a box to simulate it as well and it was a real time waster. Then I found out that I only had to link it to one of the turn signal wires and it worked.

-Gary

http://www.vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=1293Diablotin,

The wires were already ready to go for the "Emergency Switch," I didn't have to do anything to that piece or the "Pass" button.

The most challenging aspect of this project was the V-Max turn signals. How hard can turn signals be, well I found out. Inside the V-Max housing there is a "U" shaped metal tab that has to touch one side of the turn signal "U" to activate the turn signal each time you use the turn signal. I tried to design a box to simulate it as well and it was a real time waster. Then I found out that I only had to link it to one of the turn signal wires and it worked.

-Gary

I found some wiring kit and diagrams but it requires an additional switch in order to get the warning signals. I'm thinking about adding some led push button switch to keep a clean look. I'll just make a small plate holder bolt directly on the master cylinder clamp or on the riser. Let's see...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So do you lose the 'reserve switch' function? At 3 gallons the fuel pump shuts off and the 'switch' starts it back up, right? I assume you lost this now, or did you do a work-around?

Eserve switch is on the right side isn't it? At least on my bike. He said the right side conversion is coming! Great, now I gotta watch eBay for $35 dollar chromed housings. I'm pretty good at soldering from years of model airplane building! I'm glad Sniper did all the "intellectual" work for us!
PATMAX

Back