V16

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Okay Busa V8, I see you and raise you a Yamaha V16 :biglaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClGtSj2iLeU

If you think the Hyabusa V8 is the epitome of motorcycle engines adapted to automotive use, think again, there's another player in town, the Callaway Cyclone V16.

This 80 valve V16 is made from a specially built common crankcase which mounts 4, Yamaha, 1000cc inline 4 top ends.

If you follow the world of high performance Corvettes, the name Reeves Callaway will be very familiar, for years he's been turning standard Corvettes into something on another performance level altogether.

Callaway Cars helped develop the Yamaha 5 valve heads so when he started thinking about building a show car, he thought a truly spectacular engine would be appropriate and the Yamaha engines came to mind.

Specifications:
  • Callaway Cyclone V16
  • 4.0 liter 16 cylinder 90? V angle
  • 5 valve / cylinder DOHC
  • bore 75.5 (3.0 in.) x stroke 55.75 mm (2.19 in) = 3994 cc (243.83 cu. in.)
  • aluminium block and heads, iron liners
  • 12 (2 x 6) main bearings, plain
  • crankshafts: en40b steel, 2x, 4 journal, flat plane, nitrided
  • connecting rod, steel, plain bearing
  • compression ratio 11.5-1 naturally aspirated
  • power 550 bhp@10,000 rpm
  • torque 340 ft/lb@ 8,500 rpm
  • max rpm- 10,500
  • dry sump lubrication, 1 pressure, 3 scavenge stages
  • super unleaded fuel
  • EFI single fuel injector / single throttle / cylinder
  • Dimensions ?
  • 926 length (36.45")
  • 540 width (21.25")
  • 500 height (19.7") - to top of injector trumpets
  • Dry weight- 152 kg (334 lbs.)
  • patented, Cyclone cam drive system
  • clutch- superclutch triple plate 5.5"
  • water pump - ecu driven, vari-speed electric unit
They had the engine out to a car show a few days ago where the Autoblog boys found it and said the current state of tune allows a redline of 11,500 rpm so the horsepower is now up to 640.

Attachments

• Yam_V16-1.jpg
    Yam_V16-1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 46
  • Yam_V16-2.jpg
    Yam_V16-2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 44
If it is the FZR 1K Genesis, 5-valve, the valve adjustment interval is 26K+ mi. for the stock motor, shim under bucket. Looks like it's all-about the business! Two point six horsepower per cubic inch!

I recall seeing the Honda Formula 1 3 litre V-12 at the USGP in 1966 & '67, loudest thing on the track, if not the fastest, Richie Ginther driving for Honda at the time. They also got former F1 World Champion John Surtees to drive, but he stepped-out of his car in '68 & was replaced by Jo Schlesser at Rouen, a providential move on Surtees' part, because Schlesser was killed in it there.

I spoke with John Surtees at Daytona a few years ago and while I did not ask him about the Honda, I did mention the shark-nose 1961 Ferrari F1 was one of my favorite car designs of all time. He replied that it was easy to drive, and was a personal favorite of his as-well. Ferrari crushed his F1 cars at the end of the season to prevent other teams from getting-ahold of his cars to use the technology he developed.

Interestingly, the Honda 3 litre F1 engine and the Callaway V-16 both share a displacement per cyl. of 15.25 cu. in.

Attachments

• 595450_com_honda2smal.jpg
    595450_com_honda2smal.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back