Vacation in U.S. - Returned to Hungary with Cobra Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've not been on the forum for a while - I just went to the U.S. for my annual vacation. I decided to purchase the Cobra exhaust system. I've had it on a previous V-Max, and I liked it. I bought it so my daily commute to work in the morning wasn't so obnoxious for my neighbors in my village. I plan to re-install the old loud pipes if I race again. Or maybe I should keep the Cobras on and see what the difference is in my ET. I've read that they are more restrictive than stock and decreases performance.

If anything, they would be less restrictive than the stock mufflers. That being said, you would not get any increase in HP, because the stock headers themselves are too restrictive to support any real gains in power.

It is correct that you do lose some top end power with the Cobra slip-on mufflers. I have confirmed personally via a dyno run. The reason you lose top end is due to the loss of scavenging of the exhaust gasses when you go to a straight 4-4 setup. I feel confident that most of that could be gained back through modification of the Cobras, but to be honest, it would be a lot more hassle than it would be worth unless you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY had to have that power while using the Cobra slip-on mufflers.

That being said, while on the street, you're almost never gonna go up into the RPM range where you have lost said power. If you like the looks and sound of them, and do not mind the reduced power in the extreme upper range of the tachometer, then I think you made a good choice.

Yes, that's a nice looking bike you have there, very clean look and I like that rear rack as well.

Matt

Back