Valve adjust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxman376

Reaction score
Curious about how many gen2 guys have done valve adjustment and at what milage. Also did any need adjustment

I'm at 38k on mine and have not had them done. I don't hear amything alarming, I remember reading on the old site that there were some bikes with over 50k and no adjustments. I was thinking I should have them checked over the winter

I don’t have the info for the vmax, but I do know there is specified mileage intervals for periodic valve clearance checks for my xj’s. It’s all part of the maintenance. I would expect that there is a ‘mileage Schedule’ for the vmax as well.

Yea its 26k but the valve trance on the Yamaha is strong. In trying to see how long to put it off

Manufacturers specify time and mileage limits for a reason; to prevent potential issues down the line and to ensure the motor continues to perform near optimum levels.

There will be those who have never done any servicing on their bikes and got away with it....but there will also be those that didn't.

Yes it's a pain but once you get into the job and complete it you will have the satisfaction of knowing you can forget about it for another 26K.

The alternative is you don't do it and that monkey on your back will keep asking if the valve train is really as strong as you hope.

Curious about how many gen2 guys have done valve adjustment and at what milage. Also did any need adjustment
I'm at 51k no valve adj. Have doing oil and filter at 5k interval. Castrol or Mobile 1 4T. No smoke and never burns any oil. Runs great.

Anyone have any experience with Sync valve bodies?

I'm at 51k no valve adj. Have doing oil and filter at 5k interval. Castrol or Mobile 1 4T. No smoke and never burns any oil. Runs great.

Anyone have any experience with Sync valve bodies?

Last year I checked the sync on mine, with no issues.

The gen 2 owners manual says 24000 miles for a valve adjustment. I'm at 46000 myself with no adjustment, although I'll probably do one just over the next 6 months or so, just so i dont run into an issue.

Last year I checked the sync on mine, with no issues.

The gen 2 owners manual says 24000 miles for a valve adjustment. I'm at 46000 myself with no adjustment, although I'll probably do one just over the next 6 months or so, just so i dont run into an issue.
I'd be interested how that goes. I recall on the old forum several guys had the valves checked and all were in spec.

I looked at the manual a while ago and this looked like a bitch of a job. Once you had your shims figured out you had to break the cam chain and lift the cams to change the shims. Then back together.

As we all know it is a pretty cramped work space on that engine.

I'd be interested how that goes. I recall on the old forum several guys had the valves checked and all were in spec.

I looked at the manual a while ago and this looked like a bitch of a job. Once you had your shims figured out you had to break the cam chain and lift the cams to change the shims. Then back together.

As we all know it is a pretty cramped work space on that engine.

Yes a big job.

If I remember correctly, removing the front engine mount (as well as a bunch of other stuff) allows the engine to pivot and hang down providing clear access.

52,000 not yet.. I don't know if there is a shop around here qualified to do it. Looks to be a pretty big job.

VMAX is 2 valves per cyl??

How far out were the 4 valves??
Tight or loose??

Most gen 2 guys on the old forum waited till after 50k. You can spend 700 bucks for nothing. My bike has 130k when it and I got hit and it was written off. Inow ha a 2013 VMAX and I get to do it all over again.

52,000 not yet.. I don't know if there is a shop around here qualified to do it. Looks to be a pretty big job.

VMAX is 2 valves per cyl??

How far out were the 4 valves??
Tight or loose??
I believe its 4 valves per. And I do not understand why only 4 and no need to worry about for another 80k

Loose better then tight. I remember reading a long time ago. A noisy valve is a happy valve.. 😁
Yes, they close up slightly as the engine heat goes up and the metal expands. If they start off tight then they close up even more at temperature.
Me personally; I ignore valve gaps if they are 1-2 though large.

Back