Valve adjustment tools,shims etc ....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
Ok so i decided to clean my carbs then figured well ...since the carbs are off maybe i should change the front valvle cover gasket i ve been putting off, had to take vboost motor off, radiator .... to have enough clearance in order to remove that damn cover after all that i figured .... maybe i should do the valves cause i dont want to go throug that mess any time soon again.

So i was wondering where can I get the valve tool to push the bucket, shim removal tool and set of shims.

Thanks

Max

Try an 'advanced search' for info on a source for a valve bucket depressing tool, there was a source for a relatively-inexpensive one. Sean Morley has a kit you can rent for shims, or visit your local Yamaha dealer after you've made your measurements and have removed your shims to see how-much more (or less) you need in replacements, and have 'miked' yours. Usually, you don't need many shims to get things back in the middle of 'spec' measurements.

The morley kit is the way to go. saves a lot of headaches.

Indeed, been there, done that. Get the kit off Sean Morley, and take a peek at the how-to in pics I posted a long while back - gives you an idea of what's involved.

Thanks guys I'll get in touch with Sean.

Naughty you're write up is my bible for this project and reason why I'm confident I have a chance at getting this done ;)

Max

+1 borrow a shim kit. i used the one offered by CaptainKyle only because Kyle's was more readily available and cost-effective for my situation. I followed Naughty's how-to and was in and out of the adjustment portion of the job without a hitch. I took my time because I was jumping into the unknown and had the valve covers buttoned up within a few hours. The longest part of the my job involved my detailing and cleaning of the areas that normally are difficult or impossible to get at without all of the pieces and parts dismounted or out of the way.

LOL....just remember to return the tools...etc after your done with them. I visited the last person that didnt return everything.

Sean's kit is the way to go - that's what I did and it made the job easier - but please replenish the kit with shims.

Mike

I planned on asking Sean to help me out. I was gonna see If I could barrow on so I might have another one made over the holidays when our work load is slower... I am trying to get more spc tools and getting a couple of extra's made to give to fellow riders around the area as gifts..

How was that? Did you take a bat with you? tell us the story... :th_favorites24:

LOL....yall know me...I'm a nice guy...lol...even have an award for it.

LOL....I stopped at his place of business and asked for him....and he was out of the office, and then I told the secretary thats ok, I will just stop by his house in *******, and then the secretary said well obviously you know him, so why dont I have him call you. I then said thats great, and left my number.

So that afternoon he called, and I reminded him that he still had Seans kit, and that he either needed to finish, and then ship the kit back, or just ship the kit back.

After that, he got back in touch with Sean, after ducking him for a while. I didnt need the kit, just helping out someone that has probably helped out 3/4 of this forum.

I think Sean got the kit back in a couple of weeks.

LOL...SEE....I'm a nice guy...

Whatever happened it worked for me! There is anywhere from $600-$1000 at any given time in the kits. I have tried to thin them out a bit so not so many are in a kit at any one time but still well over $500 in replacement costs for the stuff in them.

LOL....yall know me...I'm a nice guy...lol...even have an award for it.

LOL....I stopped at his place of business and asked for him....and he was out of the office, and then I told the secretary that's ok, I will just stop by his house in *******, and then the secretary said well obviously you know him, so why don't I have him call you. I then said that's great, and left my number.
Fer sure, Hawk's a nice guy. How many of you have met him in person?
Here's a recent pic. We box together to keep in shape. Hawks on the left.
I'm bettin' the secretary's conversation went like this....
"If you value your ass, I think you better call this m-f right away"

Attachments

• Hawk and me.jpg
    Hawk and me.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back