Valve Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroBob1

Reaction score
Doing my first Valve Adjustment on my 1990 VMax and I found 7 tight valves, 3 intakes measuring .003, + 4 exhaust measuring .009. I have the service manual and I'm thinking the cross reference chart is not correct? One Exhaust measured .009- .223mm with a 268 shim installed and the chart calls for a 275 shim, other 3 exhaust: .009, 270 shim, chart calls for 275, next one is the same, the last exhaust,.009 - .223mm, 262 shim, chart calls for 265 shim. All of the intake call for a smaller shim which is correct to increase the gap, but the exhaust chart is calling for larger shims? Something wrong here, could be my mistake, but I have looked at this chart that I have many times over and I'm not going to order any shims until I'm absolutely sure! Feedback appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Talk to Sean Morley he will send you a kit with everything you need to do the job for the cost of shipping and a few bucks for shims done deal.

Yes, you are correct. I remember reading a thread about the chart in one of the manuals being incorrect. A revised chart has been posted here on the forum before. I believe Gary (dingy) posted it.

I never bothered with the chart, just did the math.

If you prefer a chart, do a search, I'm sure you'll find it

An excel spreadhsheet was posted at one time where you enter you clearances and current shim and it would tell you what you needed. I'll re-post that after work today.

...I'm thinking the cross reference chart is not correct? ...

I know this thread is a bit dated but I have an Excel sheel I did when I tried to select adjusting pads from the exhaust pad chart in Yamaha LIT-11616-VM-13 on page 2-8 and noticed the same inconsistencies .

I used my chart when I adjusted the valves so I've already bet my engine on the revised and it runs fine with several thousand miles in the interim.

The intake valve chart is correct as far as I know. I used it without alteration.

Incidentally, don't even TRY to do this job without Yamaha tool number YM-33961 or an equivalent.

Please review my revised spreadsheet and if you don't feel comfortable using it... don't.

Attachments

• VMAX Valve Clearance Exhaust.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 56
Better late than never I guess. Here's the sheet I was talking about.

Attachments

• xvmax valve shim.xls
    151.5 KB · Views: 54
Back