Valve Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Ok. I give up. I must not be holding my mouth right. Or I'm thickheaded. Or my Honda background has me confounded. (A CBX adjustment is cake compared to this. Shims slide right out.)

Got Sean's shim kit with the Yamaha tool for compressing the buckets in preparation for doing an adjustment on my '90. But after over an hour, I have yet to successfully remove a shim. Most valves on this nearly 30k mile specimen are tight - and exhaust valve #4, the cylinder making all the racket only has .11'ish mm clearance. Waaay too tight and I'm hoping the solution to the noise prompting this adjustment. But, to "adjust", one must be smart enough to actually replace the offending shims.

I've gone through NaughtyGs well-written tutorial numerous times and still, don't seem to have the room to get a shim out from under the cam lobe.

After backing off from the "lobes up" position and inserting the tool, I slowly rotate ( it's centered and it depresses the buckets all the way to the head boss material). Still, I can't get the shims out. They're loose, but won't come far enough out of the bucket to remove. I can't see a path for the entire bucket either.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I hope someone has that magical tidbit, because the clock is ticking on my "time to hold" Sean's shim kit. (Hope the next guy in line is a patient sort). Luckily I've only had it a couple of days...so far.

Well this post makes me feel a lot better about taking my bike to my mechanic for a valve adjustment. I was concerned it was out of my depth [log n timber guy] on this one. I feel from reading his posts that desert-max has a stronger mechanical aptitude than myself. If he is having trouble it would have sucked for me.

I use one of these and also seem to recall that it was easier to ping the shim in towards the centre of the head and retrieve from there.
My biggest issue was getting some of the shims to release from the bucket; a suitably sharpened electricians screwdriver helped somewhat.

I use a good pick tool to lift one edge up and then a telescoping magnet to get it out. Wow, I checked my log and it's been since 2006 since I've done that.

Cheers.

Mark

Ok. I give up. I must not be holding my mouth right. Or I'm thickheaded. Or my Honda background has me confounded. (A CBX adjustment is cake compared to this. Shims slide right out.)

Got Sean's shim kit with the Yamaha tool for compressing the buckets in preparation for doing an adjustment on my '90. But after over an hour, I have yet to successfully remove a shim. Most valves on this nearly 30k mile specimen are tight - and exhaust valve #4, the cylinder making all the racket only has .11'ish mm clearance. Waaay too tight and I'm hoping the solution to the noise prompting this adjustment. But, to "adjust", one must be smart enough to actually replace the offending shims.

I've gone through NaughtyGs well-written tutorial numerous times and still, don't seem to have the room to get a shim out from under the cam lobe.

After backing off from the "lobes up" position and inserting the tool, I slowly rotate ( it's centered and it depresses the buckets all the way to the head boss material). Still, I can't get the shims out. They're loose, but won't come far enough out of the bucket to remove. I can't see a path for the entire bucket either.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I hope someone has that magical tidbit, because the clock is ticking on my "time to hold" Sean's shim kit. (Hope the next guy in line is a patient sort). Luckily I've only had it a couple of days...so far.
Hi D_M

If it is the tight gap shim you are trying to get out, then the shim may be that touch too large to pop out the gap (someone may have loosened the camshaft off to get this one in). Like many others on here I use a magnet as it pulls the shim away from the surface tension of the oil and also saves the shim from magically disappearing. I found the Vmax shims more awkward than other vehicles I've done with buckets and shims, and was ready to start loosening off the cams to get them out.

If you do not mind a suggestion; as a 1st-off adjustment loosen the cam off and you will easily get it out, then measure the new shim gap again when the cam is torqued back down. I also used a 90 Deg angled scriber to get the shims to release from the oil surface tension. I ended up putting feeler gauges in along with the adjusting tool to get a touch more space. Also some of the magnetic prodder's have weak magnets, rare earth magnets such as neodymium are far superior to the standard ones.

But, I found the shims on the VMax are a real pain to get out.

I use a small screw driver to pop them free. Then a magnet to get them out. .11 does present a tight spot. +1 to loosen the cam bearing caps, zip tie the chain to the gear first. Back off adjusters too?

I use one of these and also seem to recall that it was easier to ping the shim in towards the centre of the head and retrieve from there.
My biggest issue was getting some of the shims to release from the bucket; a suitably sharpened electricians screwdriver helped somewhat.

Thanks MM. I can get them to release from the bucket, I just don't have enough clearance to pull it out between the bucket and the cam.

Screw loose and sdt254, Yes my 1st attempt at removal were on the ultra tight number 4 exhaust valves. I actually was contemplating loosening the cam, but thought that was stupid. Apparently, not so stupid!

But I also made a half-hearted attempt to pull the intake shims on that cylinder didn't have much better luck. Again, it seems every one measured on this bike so far has been tight.

And this is Vmax number six for me… although two of them (including a current 85) never ran. This is also my first attempt… or need... to do a valve adjustment. You can bet your ass it will be my last. Wotta PIA!

Last edited:
Screw loose and sdt254, Yes my 1st experience with attempt at removal is the ultra tight number 4 exhaust valves. I actually was contemplating loosening tbe cam, but thought that was stupid. Apparently, not so stupid!

But I also made a 1/2 hearted attempt to pull the intake shims on that cylinder didn't have much better luck. Again, it seems every one of measured on this one so far has been tight.

This is Vmax number six for me… although two of them (including a current 85) never ran. This is also my 1st attempt… or need to do valve adjustment. You can bet your ass it will be my last. Wotta PIA!
D_M

I've lifted cams a number of times on other vehicles to get at the shims. After assembly you will find that your newly inserted shim gap will be very accurate, about 0.0005" (half a thou in US speak). So don't worry about that method, shim tools are very convenient for time and high level accuracy, but not completely necessary. If you have a good selection of shims with the kit you are 99.99% there already with time.

As an afterthought, as your existing shim gap is out by far, it's a 75/25% bet that a novice has originally measured and put the wrong shim in by going in the wrong direction of large/small gap, it's easily done when starting out. Don't worry about the final gap being slightly large by say 1 thou as the gap obviously closes slightly under temperature.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

S_L - Greatly appreciate the commentary and advice. The only way to ever run into trouble and/or screw anything up is to be doing something. Hard to screw something up sitting on the couch watching television.

My biggest problem is time - if I could figure a way to manufacturer it, my troubles would be over.

Thanks again! (I hoist a glass of malted beverage in your general direction - to paraphrase Eric Idle in Monty Python)

S_L - Greatly appreciate the commentary and advice. The only way to ever run into trouble and/or screw anything up is to be doing something. Hard to screw something up sitting on the couch watching television.

My biggest problem is time - if I could figure a way to manufacturer it, my troubles would be over.

Thanks again! (I hoist a glass of malted beverage in your general direction - to paraphrase Eric Idle in Monty Python)
🥃 I'll have a large Grouse please.

As for time; go west young man.
I found that heading to Houston I was about 8 hours younger than in the UK. It felt great in an odd way. This means that if you have enough money and free time and keep heading west you will reverse time, maybe even back to your teens if you stay on planes long enough. It's worth a try (I think), maybe someone could work it out.

In my country we use to say that.... if someone doesn't want to knead the dough for a day he stays and sift the flour for a week!....so...maybe the proper way to get your job done...is to rase up the cams a litle bit to have enough space to remove the shims and a strong magnet is your closest friend!!....sometimes without three hours yoga and my medicines this job makes me crazy!
Notice that i have every special tool that you can imagine....but we are talking for vmaxes...special bike with special treatment!....

In my country we use to say that.... if someone doesn't want to knead the dough for a day he stays and sift the flour for a week!....so...maybe the proper way to get your job done...is to rase up the cams a litle bit to have enough space to remove the shims and a strong magnet is your closest friend!!....sometimes without three hours yoga and my medicines this job makes me crazy!
Notice that i have every special tool that you can imagine....but we are talking for vmaxes...special bike with special treatment!....
That sounds about right.

I'm working on my car replacing the brake pipes and suspension, and getting stopped every mm of the way with every type of rusty bolt, shearing bolts, brittle plastic, seized pins, taking two days to take off the plastic pans underneath, nearly setting the car on fire, I'm worn out, so I'm half way through taking a week away from it all and set Saturday as the starting point again. I agree, my tactics are; take a step back, evaluate the situation, and come back with a vengeance!

A year ago a Honda PC 800 of a very good friend of mine make me sifting a lot of flour for almost a month! until i decide to thrοw away his damaged-rusty exchaust and make him a new inox 2to1 header!.... i did understand your complains!...and just said my opinion!

Back