Valve cover leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde Porter IV

Reaction score
Bought an 07 took 2 years to find one that spoke to me. She is clean really clean but took to the shop anyways for piece of mind.

They tell me valve covers are leaking.... what really? I have never seen any oil and iv been 1,000 miles on her. Ummm okay is okay to ride until you get the parts? Well just have rag with you to wipe off.... even 2 days after getting her back I can't find any oil leak. Any know of any area that I'm not seeing....

Yea... I'm still giving him a thin margin of credit. But that response of well it won't hurt for a few days if you keep a rag on hand to wipe after riding. That was a head scratcher alittle. When I dropped the bike off the 2 guys up front wasn't very personable if you will. The wife mentioned 1st thing soon as we got in the truck. I asked if they would check the compression for me. One Ole boy piped why would you ask us to do that if you say it's Running good. If it's running good then that makes no sense, that's what he said.... it's got 34,000 miles on it true it runs likes a scolded dog but that don't mean it could be worn done to the bottom end of peak. Am I making any sense or do you think me asking that was Stupid? I backed off and said maybe your right I will take care of that part then. They did what they called a silver service on her and when I picked her up pretty paid ask a couple of a ?s they didn't answer dude pulled it around flipped me the keys and never missed a beat walking in. I told a buddy that was with me well I guess we are done here then maybe.

Unless there is a good reason to check compressions then I would tend to agree that there is no point. From what you would be charged for doing this you could buy a compression tester and do it whenever you felt the urge.

As for the oil leak then the simple question is 'Show me' and if they can't or won't then just walk away.
From what you say I'd either learn to do the service myself or find someone else with who you have confidence.

Something smells.

If it's leaking, they should be able to take a pencil or other pointing device and point out to you exactly where it's leaking.

If they're not able to do that, ignore them. Check your oil. Is it low? No? Then keep riding.

Something smells.

If it's leaking, they should be able to take a pencil or other pointing device and point out to you exactly where it's leaking.

I did come out last night dark garage and flash light in hand found this corner straight above the kick stand. I guess what they call a leak and what I call a non leak is same thing. Knock knock knock on wood it's an area about 1/2 inch the rest seems very intact. Do you Know much about the nature in how they fail full stop? Thanks Friend she is very sentimental to me no doubt and want her as Healthy as possible for it being the 1st Gen an 07 model she really is a clean bike searched for 2 years because the 2nd I just don't have that attached feeling to. My Pops bought a Vmax new in 1989 I was like 12 I guess and it was Holy Shit the hell is that thing and what is there great big horns on her lol..... Love at first sight....20211206_060207.jpg

Unless there is a good reason to check compressions then I would tend to agree that there is no point. From what you would be charged for doing this you could buy a compression tester and do it whenever you felt the urge.

As for the oil leak then the simple question is 'Show me' and if they can't or won't then just walk away.
From what you say I'd either learn to do the service myself or find someone else with who you have confidence.
Thanks Buddy and I'm very capable of servicing just about anything on the bike. But it being a used Vmax and them making a living knowing the Yamaha bikes I just felt it important to make sure I didn't over look a problem he may of been tring to unload. And yes the compression tester dare I say is way more cheap then then the labor. Givin what I paid for the bike I felt it okay to drop a few hundred on TLC. Isla did not get TLC there lol. I paid $4,100.00 but the isn't any not even a scratch on any of what little panels there are. Besides the heat marks on the exhaust and visible lines on the brake disc I could detail and roll into a show room. But maybe my emotions paid some extra lol. She has a Widow maker exhaust and Barnett Clutch ad well.. What's your honest thoughts on the price?

Something smells.

If they're not able to do that, ignore them. Check your oil. Is it low? No? Then keep riding.
I live just west of Chattanooga I seen you was from Suwanee GA. Do you still have a Vmax and if so do you take it out on rides with any miles away. I just bought her couple months back after taking a hiatus I guess it was for a few years. My Pops passed Sept 2020 for him and because of him my quest began couple years back finding Isla that's her name lmao... bought her from a Chap in Gainsborough Tn.

I live just west of Chattanooga I seen you was from Suwanee GA. Do you still have a Vmax and if so do you take it out on rides with any miles away. I just bought her couple months back after taking a hiatus I guess it was for a few years. My Pops passed Sept 2020 for him and because of him my quest began couple years back finding Isla that's her name lmao... bought her from a Chap in Gainsborough Tn.
Yes I still have my Vmax. It's a 2007 I bought brand new. It has just over 15,000 miles on it and has never spent a single night outside.

I still ride, but not nearly as far and often as I used to. Typically, I'll do a round trip up to blood mountain, through Helen and back ride of about 175 miles.

There's a few Georgia and Tennessee guys around this forum. If you yell 'FREE BEER' they'll typically show up. ;)

On that leak, that's pretty typical. You might be able to just slightly snug the cam cover bolts and take that right out. I would have simply pointed it out to you and told you to keep an eye on it and if it starts getting worse go ahead and change the gaskets.

Thanks Buddy for the input. I don't abuse her at all. I do though ride her like she likes it at times. I have rode the Vmax, 1100 Virgo, and the 1200 Indian FTR. The FTR is a very fun bike for seasoned riders I rent the FTR from time to time at music city Indian. My boy is 19 and has rode for a few years. I wouldn't let him ride that FTR because people don't really know what it is. Not that it's rolling hot faster then the Vmax it's not but with ease at 60 you can jump down on the shifter and throttle to the back tire and it'll get you deep in curves and in deep shit if you don't know what it is. I Say all that to say the Vmax is perfect nobody can ever say it was bike they didn't know what it was. She will flat out stand up to most anything from 0 to 110 depending I on the rider or driver of each. But you know full well She will kill you if mistake her for anything other then Power to Back tire. So he rides the Vmax and the wife just can't understand what I'm saying.

Bought an 07 took 2 years to find one that spoke to me. She is clean really clean but took to the shop anyways for piece of mind.

They tell me valve covers are leaking.... what really? I have never seen any oil and iv been 1,000 miles on her. Ummm okay is okay to ride until you get the parts? Well just have rag with you to wipe off.... even 2 days after getting her back I can't find any oil leak. Any know of any area that I'm not seeing....
My 05 only does it at the beginning of the riding season, then stops.

My 05 only does it at the beginning of the riding season, then stops.
Well the bike knows not what season it is but to the lady's credit the guy that had before me only had her for 4 months and didn't get to ride much at all due to a work injury. So when I picked her up it late Oct. Going on may. So you might have something there...

Latest posts

Back