Valve cover paint question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brushed finish on my gloss black valve covers has had the clear lift and it looks like powder under it. If I take the lifted clear up what would I use to get the brushed finish again and what would I recoat it with? Thanks

The brushed finish on my gloss black valve covers has had the clear lift and it looks like powder under it. If I take the lifted clear up what would I use to get the brushed finish again and what would I recoat it with? Thanks
My (lazy painter) technique(cars, not engines):
sand everything as much as you can/want, then use 2 components primer as much as needed to cover imperfections after you sand it. If not enough, you'll have to prime again.

I usually just sand it off depending on how bad it us you can start with 320 and work your way up to about 800 and polish it with mothers or wenol once you get it polished it is not that hard to keep up with. I do not recoat them with anything.

We have done it with using silver paint accents as well as with it sanded/buffed to recreate the grain then cleared back over it (all done at the same time as the black).

Latest posts

Back