Valve Lifters Stuck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I'm working on an Radian engine and I'm at the head. It's off the engine and I'm trying to get the valve lifters off and 3 off them are stuck.

I have tried to lift them off with magnets, up to a 25lb rating, but they won't come out.

Looking for ideas on how to get them out before I go nuts. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Mike

I assume you are talking about the shim cups. The only thing I can think of is to push them down and open the valve, oil the shim cup and work them back and forth.

I assume you are talking about the shim cups. The only thing I can think of is to push them down and open the valve, oil the shim cup and work them back and forth.

Yes, the shim cups. Tried penetrating oil with no luck so far.

Tried to rotate them, won't turn by hand, but will turn when tapped with a hammer.

Mike

Possible drill a small hole through the bucket off to the side and get a screw and slide hammer in there? You will need new buckets, but It sounds like there is something going on in there anyways.

Finally got them out!!1:eusa_dance:

After alot of screwing around with them and alot of time on the net looking for a solution, I found a picture of a Hydraulic lifter puller, so the quest was to find one locally.

I checked with a few auto parts stores and they had no idea what I was looking for, than a couple tool distributors, again no clue what I was looking for. Next I went to a Princess Auto (alot like a Harbour Freight) and found a Blind Hole Bearing Puller set. Looks very similar to a hydraulic lifter puller, so I bought and brought it home. Within an hour, all three stuck valve lifter cups came out :clapping:

Just happy that I can now move on with this engine rebuild.

Mike

Attachments

• blind_bearing_puller_900.jpg
    blind_bearing_puller_900.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
That is a nice tool to have around. I have not bought one yet but I have borrowed it quite a few times from the local auto parts. Works great to remove sealed bearings, the needle bearing inside the drive side of the rear wheel, and also the needle bearing in the differential. I am sure you will get use out of it in the future.

Back