Valves adjustment question 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
ok so here are my measurements so far: (all in inches)

II = inner intake valve
OI = outer intake valve
IE = inner exhaust valve
OE = outer exhaust valve

II = .006
OI = .006
IE = .010
OE = .010

II = .006
OI = .007
IE = .013
OE = .012

II = .004
OI = .005
IE = .010
OE = .010

II = .005
OI = .006
IE = .012
OE = .011

Considering that the service manual says Intake Valve .004 ~ .006, and Exhaust Valve .010 ~ .012, none of the above looks too bad for a 45,000 miles motor, does it?

Question is, when adjusting, should I go for the lower or the higher value? I guess what I mean is, will those clearances get tighter or looser over time?

According to my readings above, only three valves actually need adjusting, right?

The exhaust will tighten....intakes stay pretty much the same. I shoot for about .004 inches for intake and .011 exhaust.

yup u're right Danny - .004 is within spec.

Mark, since exhaust will tighten, would it make more sense to go for .012 when adjusting?

Yeah, .012 is fine as long as all 8 exhaust valves are about the same. When I checked mine at 52,000 miles all my exhaust were about .007 inches. I set mine to .011 at the time but we'll see how much they tighten this winter. They are due again.

are you guys using a different schedule for doing the adjustments vs what the book says?? any benefit in that way besides keep on top of things???

I think the manual says 26,600. Anyway, I do it during the winter if I'm close to the mileage.

I got my bike with 37k on the clock and no clue when they had been done last (if ever), so I thought I might as well check them now with 45k showing.

From what's I've found I'd say they must've been done once at least, but can't hurt to check and keep within spec.

At least now it'll be in my service record and not due for another 25,000 ish :)

I got my bike with 37k on the clock and no clue when they had been done last (if ever), so I thought I might as well check them now with 45k showing.

From what's I've found I'd say they must've been done once at least, but can't hurt to check and keep within spec.

At least now it'll be in my service record and not due for another 25,000 ish :)

sure does sound like good winter project. got a few more thousand miles to go but should be perfect timing as i put it away for the year. Thanks

I had a feeling this wasn't gonna be easy, but it turned into a right beeeaatch of a job!

Spent all day today and didn't quite get done (ran out of daylight and garage lights are shite). Well I finished the adjustment, just didn't put it all back together yet. Will do tomorrow, and yes, I did take lotsa pics all along so will do a writeup when completed.

It will actually be quite useful, as the Yamaha Service manual omits a number of things that I found had to be done in order to get there..

Back