Variable Intake Funnel Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Larson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get to the APS.

The Service Manual shows it is on the throttle bodies underneath the Variable Intake Funnels. I have the easy stuff taken off the top of the bike. It is not as obvious how to disconnect the linkage that moves the funnels or how to take those off to get to the top of the engine. Page 7-6 does describe the process and I am grateful that it has as much info as it does but I do not want to damage anything. I am sure new parts are pricey.

A You Tube search did not turn up any footage disassembling these parts but there are ones of bikes on the dyno with air case open and the funnels moving.

I am sure lots of people have done this to get to the engine. Any insightful comments? I am trying to do no harm first....

If remember correctly, if you go into the diag mode one of the functions will lift the stacks to their max position. At that point they will lift right off.

I will check diagnostic mode in the manual. Are the tubes floating? I would think that something must require a physical disconnect.

I will check diagnostic mode in the manual. Are the tubes floating? I would think that something must require a physical disconnect.

Do you know how to enter diagnostics m mode? If you are suspecting an issue with your APS that is the first place you should go. It will tell you the sensors status.

You have to hold down both buttons and keep them depressed while you turn on the ignition. Hold the down until DIAG appears on the screen then release and depress and hold a short time again. At that point you can use the buttons to scroll through the different diagnostics. D:34 is where you can exercise the intake funnels.

They will cycle up an down.....and I think when they are up you need to turn off the ignition so they stay in that position.

They are not floating but they are released when they are all the way up.

Hopefully this works for you I'm going by memory.......and I'm in my 6th decade of life. :rolleyes:

Also if you are planning to adjust or remove the APS or TPS you are going to need a set of these Robot Check

I knew I would be making adjustments to those sensors (supercharger installed) so the first thing I did was replace the screws with metric allen screws. This allows me to loosen the bolts and tweak the sensor positions from the side of the bike. A ball head allen key can be used at a less than perfect perpendicular angle to the screw.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will check that out when I get home.

The APS is fine. The project I am working on is Electronic Cruise Control. I am measuring out a wiring harness for MC Cruise in Australia. They are going to make me a system for the Gen2 but they have never worked on the bike so I am providing all the data so they can make it into a product. I built a mock up of their cruise computer and now need accurate runs from where it will mount it to the rear brake coupler, ECU, coil, APS and the clutch switch.

Soon going to Thunder in the Valley or the Dragon will not be a wrist killer. By soon I mean Spring as Fall is in one week and riding season grows short.

I think you may need to toggle the run/stop switch to activate the stacks once you are in D:34

I think you may need to toggle the run/stop switch to activate the stacks once you are in D:34
I did not get to this yesterday. Got home way too late to mess with the bike. Will update the post again when I have tried this. Thanks again for the assist.

These might be helpful to confirm your measurement. This is the wiring recall replacement harness that connects to the APS and TPS.

The APS is the longer part of the harness.

20200916_180051.jpg20200916_180124.jpg20200916_180207.jpg

Thank you. That is good reference. I have to make sure that I have lengths and the route. Going a different path the second time would ruin everything. I made 4 meter wire sample marked every 10 cm. The Australian guys want metric. Fair enough since the bike is all metric.

By the way, mine is a 2019 only have a thousand miles on it. When was the recall and what was effected?

You are good, the recall was for some 2009 and 2010 bikes.

Here are the recall instructions, they detail the routing.

Attachments

• RCRIT-10V327-9786.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
Hey....you may have to unplug the servo to release the stacks????

You tell me. LOL!

I got the whole thing off late last night. Now that I have done it once the experience is not that bad. Here is a picture. I covered the openings to with painters tape to keep dirt out of the engine. The next step is to get voltage readings off the APS connector. There is supposed to be a ground, 5V, low voltage range and high voltage range at the connector for idle and full throttle. The guys in Australia need to know for the computer connections.Throttle Body.JPG

Latest posts

Back