Vboost Controllers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
I've been reading up on vboost controllers and I've read a lot of conflicting info so I figured I'd ask here............

I'm looking for something that will:

-shut the vboost completely off
-let the vboost function normally (6k)
-have either an "always on" setting or an "instant on" button
-not permanently change anything should I decide to get rid of it
-work with a rev limiter, muscle kit, and performance exhaust should I get them
-cost less than $100

I've read that there's no performance gain from these things, but I think it'd be a cool feature. I know there is a tboost, zboost, and sasy system (too much $ for a gimmick like these:biglaugh:) that does something like this, but like I said, it seems like the features change depending on where I'm reading. I think people buy bikes with these set up and use the names interchangeably.

So is there something out there that meets my criteria? Also, does shutting the vboost off above 6k cause any problems or lead to engine damage from running lean? The sasy sight makes ridiculous claims about performance boosts so I wouldn't put it past them to knowingly sell something that's bad for the bike.

I think the ignitech would fit most of the criteria except the price (higher but it does a lot more then just control the vboost).

Agreed, I got an Ignitech system fom Sean to isolate an ignition problem I was having.

Problem solved, started exploring the ignitech programming and found it has a ton more features, I have the sassy too for its shift light feature only.

I think the ignitech would fit most of the criteria except the price (higher but it does a lot more then just control the vboost).

The stuff (in English) that I could find on those says 1990 or newer. Is there a version that would work with my '88?

The ignitech will work with all years of Vmax. There is just different settings that you have to load between the 2 groups. Sean should have the right settings already loaded if you buy it, so it should be plug and play.

I will be on my third season with the Dyna 3000 ignition box and thinking I want to step up to the Ignitech. There is so much adjustability and much more control available than the Dyna.

I was hoping for more of a toggle switch type setup. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't changing the vboost settings with the ignitech require more than the flick of a switch/push of a button?

I will be on my third season with the Dyna 3000 ignition box and thinking I want to step up to the Ignitech. There is so much adjustability and much more control available than the Dyna.

I will say this.....it isnt in place now....but it is being explored about the ignitech possibly running a knock sensor as well.

It takes MAYBE 3 mins......it is programmable with a laptop.

I think these are a little more than I'm looking for. Really I just want a toggle that doesn't mess with anything but the vboost. As i said, some sights say that tboost and zboost systems do what i want and others say they dont. I was hoping you guys could confirm/deny/point be in a better direction if there's another product I'm missing.

Dale Walker (Holeshot) used to sell a autoboost 2 that did most of what you are asking for. Not sure if he still offers that or not.

Dale Walker (Holeshot) used to sell a autoboost 2 that did most of what you are asking for. Not sure if he still offers that or not.

I saw that but from what I've read those are few and far between. Upon further inspection I think I may spring for the ignitech simply for the sake of a rev limiter.

Say I did get the ignitech, would I be able to wire a toggle switch or buy a kit that at least lets me set vboost to either "normal" or "off"?

I don't believe so. I think it requires reprogramming for each change you'd want to make. Another option is to hard wire the vboost in and use a choke lever (could use one from a venture that bolts to the bottom of the left switch housing). You'd set it anywhere you'd want.

I don't believe so. I think it requires reprogramming for each change you'd want to make. Another option is to hard wire the vboost in and use a choke lever (could use one from a venture that bolts to the bottom of the left switch housing). You'd set it anywhere you'd want.

At the very least I'd want to be able to flick a switch between normal and off.

But back to the ignitech.........
Sooner of later id like to have a muscle kit and marks exhaust. What exactly would be the difference between just the kit and exhaust, and the kit and exhaust with the ignitech system? I really like the idea of a rev limiter but for ~$300 do i get more reliability and/or performance?

By adding about 3 degrees across the board I picked up 2 hp up top. That was still using 87 octane gas. The next time that I go to the dyno, I'm planning on advancing the timing further, and see what other gains are possible.

By adding about 3 degrees across the board I picked up 2 hp up top. That was still using 87 octane gas. The next time that I go to the dyno, I'm planning on advancing the timing further, and see what other gains are possible.

Huh... I guess I may have to get one then. Are these gains pretty easily attainable? I don't have easy dyno access so I can't check and recheck. I'd also get lost pretty easily if tuning gets too technically involved.

I have easy access to a dyno. Its about 2-3 miles from my house. It charges 85 dollars an hr, so what ever changes I do, in that hour is covered. Any of the learning's that I've found at the dyno, I always publish, that way others can follow.

So, if you had the ignitech, all that you would have to do, is reload a "map", and that would take maybe 30 seconds.

I have easy access to a dyno. Its about 2-3 miles from my house. It charges 85 dollars an hr, so what ever changes I do, in that hour is covered. Any of the learning's that I've found at the dyno, I always publish, that way others can follow.

So, if you had the ignitech, all that you would have to do, is reload a "map", and that would take maybe 30 seconds.

So your maps would get me pretty close to where i want to be even with a different exhaust, muscle kit, and elevation (and probably a bunch of other factors I don't know about)? I'm not looking for perfection but i would like a bit of a performance gain and i definitely don't want my bike to run poorly.

Also, where can these ignitech units be bought? It looks like you guys went in on a group purchase and that's all I've been able to dig up on where exactly to get one.

I appreciate the info. I never even considered messing with the ignition before.

Well Sean sells them so you can shoot him an email. [email protected]

That map where I gained 2 hp, was with a Kerker 4-1, stock airbox, and different jetting than stock.

Basically all that your doing is increasing the timing. The old school way to do it was to turn the distributor to get a fast hp gain, now, your just using a laptop.

Changing the timing really wont make you go lean, or rich, but it will smooth out the Air fuel/HP curve.

Well Sean sells them so you can shoot him an email. [email protected]

That map where I gained 2 hp, was with a Kerker 4-1, stock airbox, and different jetting than stock.

Basically all that your doing is increasing the timing. The old school way to do it was to turn the distributor to get a fast hp gain, now, your just using a laptop.

Changing the timing really wont make you go lean, or rich, but it will smooth out the Air fuel/HP curve.

Thanks for all the info. This looks like the route I'm going to take after all. By the way, I chacked the ignitech sight and still can't figure out which setup goes on the vmax.

Is there more than one option or is there a specific unit for the bike?

Latest posts

Back