Vboost on all the time vs "normal"?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
My bike was set to have vboost all the time (unhooked so open always), full stage 7 jetting/K&N pods full race stainless UFO exhaust. I hooked the vboost back up in order to sync the carbs... And once synced I unplugged vboost half way through cycle to have it open full time again.

I have read that having vboost on all the time actually doesnt increase power/performance.....

I also see "kits" to wire in so you can control manually the vboost. I got caught in a bad rain storm and was very slick but I didn't whap the throttle so I don't think I need to "control" the vnoost for twitchiness of throttle under less than ideal road conditions. What about gas mileage?

What would be the benefit for me to have a kit wired in that gives me adjustability/control over just having it unplugged while vboost solenoid is open (on all the time)

Does vboost being on all the time give a better acceleration (track time)?

Thanks! Still learning this vmax stuff...

EDIT... I was just told on FB that stage 7 was designed not to use vnoost... So... I need to unplug connector when butterflies are open or while the are closed (during key on cycling I assume)???

Last edited:
I’m currently running my 86 wide open all the time. Only because I don’t have a working Vboost controller. I have two broken ones however.

Somebody recently posted up Dyna charts showing the difference between correctly operating Vboost and full on full-time. Yes, there are a couple of bands where torque and horsepower are down with full on full-time Vboost. However, I suspect that it’s unlikely that a casual rider would notice the difference even on back to back runs.

Stage 7 was designed To have Vboost open (hence the cross over tubes to remove the butterflies) because set up as per the directions its PIG RICH. Having Vboost open all the time helps LEAN out part throttle. You can have stage 7 WITH Vboost, and in my opinion its a much better set up. To properly sync the carbs you have to have the butterflies closed anyways, just leave them in place and tune accordingly as FM said. I have an 86 that is a 1260 Stage 7 with Vboost still in place.

Latest posts

Back