Vehicle identification number

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt2roadracer

Reaction score
Hey fellows, can anyone tell me if the VIN on my 01 Max is stamped into the frame somewhere. I actually sold the bike and the guy that bought it is trying to get it inspected for registration and they telling him that the sticker on the frame is not good enough. I'm sure it's probably stamped in the frame as well I just have no idea where

Its stamped right below the sticker.
Most if not all bikes are stamped on the neck.

I've never heard of a vehicle inspector being that picky before. Your friend should back outta there, post haste, and go elsewhere for his inspection. These people will probably be nit-picking his bike to death in other areas of the inspection as well.

well, unfortunately, he's not my friend and supposedly, they can't find the VIN stamped anywhere. I called the local Yamaha house and they said to turn the wheel all the way to the left and it will be on the right side of the steering head. According to him, it's not there. I've never ran into a missing VIN problem before. Anyway, he's returning the bike for a refund tomorrow. I'm going to have to take out a loan to honor the refund due to we bought a boat for my wife's birthday so that we'd have something to enjoy together. I told him that when he show's up with the bike and I ride it and check everything out, then I will refund his money. There is one last condition though, if the VIN is there and I can find it, then he's SOL!. This is probably going to be an education in selling bikes to me but Kansas don't play!!!! They want it stamped into the frame. I'm from Oklahoma and bought the bike in Texas. Transferred the title without issue. It's one of the cleanest low mileage bike's that I personally have ever seen. I will be looking for that VIN before I return the money so if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear where that VIN would be stamped. Anyone know of any false frame exchanges or re builders without a VIN? I'd hate to think that I bought someone else's mess. Damn thing looked brand new when I sold it!

If the frame was ever replaced, there may be no stamping. If the frame was painted or powdercoated, it may be partially obscured or filled in so scraping may be neccessary. Florida State Patrol does it at Daytona all the time. So it is parrallel to the white sticker on the neck downtube.

Oh boy! I'm sure if the frame has been replaced then the value of that bike probably just dropped by half. If I had been aware of this, I never would have sold it to the guy nor bought it myself. Truthfully, I doubt the guy that I got it from would have known either. I really hope that it has just been filled in by powder coating or paint. I guess I'll find out when he gets here. Thanks again for all the info and help. As always, you guy's are great.

Got the bike back about an hour ago. No visible stamped VIN. I will continue to look a little closer when it's not so damn hot outside

Only other suggestion I can think of is if someone heated the old sticker to remove it to refinish the frame and mistakenly placed the VIN sticker over top of the stamping. I have a New Old Stock frame and it is void of any numbers just FYI. Maybe that explains why it is so clean. As a last resort, and depending on how long ago you bought it, you may be able to sue the guy you got it from. Saw this issue play out on Judge Judy I think.

Only other suggestion I can think of is if someone heated the old sticker to remove it to refinish the frame and mistakenly placed the VIN sticker over top of the stamping. I have a New Old Stock frame and it is void of any numbers just FYI. Maybe that explains why it is so clean. As a last resort, and depending on how long ago you bought it, you may be able to sue the guy you got it from. Saw this issue play out on Judge Judy I think.
I appreciate all of your help and advice. I feel like the guy that sold it to me probably didn't know either and he's also a member of this forum so I don't want to start any issues. Now that I've got it back, washed it up and rode it around a bit, I realized that this is still an unbelievable bike in unbelievable condition. I will pursue why the VIN issue has come in to play but I've already relisted the bike at a very affordable price and if it doesn't sell then OH WELL, I've still got a damn nice Vmax! Thanks again

Attachments

• Fat Girls 002.jpg
    Fat Girls 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Fat Girls 003.jpg
    Fat Girls 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Fat Girls 007.jpg
    Fat Girls 007.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Fat Girls 006.jpg
    Fat Girls 006.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 12
  • babies after their bath 003.jpg
    babies after their bath 003.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 14
  • babies after their bath 004.jpg
    babies after their bath 004.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 11
  • babies after their bath 005.jpg
    babies after their bath 005.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 11
the guy cant take it to another inspection station to get it licensed?

Back