VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 V-Max Rider

Reaction score
My brother purchased a billet vent cap cover from Python Motorsports for his 2007 Max. In a rush to install the his new cover, he failed to realize that the Python cover fits over the stock vent cap and is held in place with a set screw. In his rush, he removed the stock vent cap and destroyed it in doing so.

He has since purchased a stock Yamaha cap. However, I see no way of installing it without removing the vent from the rear differential, given the fact that the differential vent is tapered. It appears to me as though the vent has to be removed from the rear differential before the cap can be installed, and it appears to be a press fit. Any ideas?

First point - it is a final drive NOT a differential which is used to drive two wheels!

You are correct in that the central part of the vent is a press fit into the casing.

You could try a Mole Wrench to grip and wiggle it out. However, the quickest is to cross drill the tube and insert a tommy bar to twist and pull.

NOTE: Make sure that you put some wadding into the tube before drilling to prevent any swarf getting to the innards.

The OEM vent cap is held onto the vent tube with a small spot weld. I am assuming you broke off the cap and still have the tube (which has a tapered top) stuck in there.

Just grab a pair of vise grips, clamp them on, twist, and pull. Its not all that difficult. Just be careful not to scratch anything.

The new one will tap right into the final drive.

The OEM vent cap is held onto the vent tube with a small spot weld. I am assuming you broke off the cap and still have the tube (which has a tapered top) stuck in there.

Just grab a pair of vise grips, clamp them on, twist, and pull. Its not all that difficult. Just be careful not to scratch anything.

The new one will tap right into the final drive.
Thanks for the responses. Next problem, I can't find the breather on the microfiche.

My brother purchased number 28

cwbdo0aGtr99ru6upqhIWFQVtbmzyOnDJlCnJzcwes2XtaWhr09PTIrGAHBwf4+Ph0yhJmh+zsbGhpaWH06NGwtrYmj14pBj96enpwcnLiqg2UoKMYolCCjgf5f3+zjWuDEJNKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Attachments

• index.png
    index.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 30
Yep, Vice grips work great on them. You can drill the hole but that gets drill shavings in there. I usually just take the punch and smash them in a bit to get a nice flat surface for the grips. Twist and pull.

Sean

Maybe I'm missing something, but number 28 is a cap fits over a tapered piece that appears to be press fit into the final drive assembly. I don't see it being possible to install the cap with that taper, as it will cause it to flair. I don't want to pull the press fit piece out unless it can be bought.

I think they can be had. I'd give a jingle to some yards, ppl here or even pinwall cycle. Or maybe some good ol epoxy or other type of adhesive will put things back together.
On the plus side, it's not like it's a part that sees a lot of action, so epoxy just might work for you. I ended up pulling mine with some channel locks, and put on a mini filter. It was going fine at first while pulling it, then I squeezed a little to hard and destroyed it.

p1040065j.jpg

rearcammount.jpg

backhalf.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but number 28 is a cap fits over a tapered piece that appears to be press fit into the final drive assembly. I don't see it being possible to install the cap with that taper, as it will cause it to flair. I don't want to pull the press fit piece out unless it can be bought.

# 28 is both pieces. The cover is spot welded to the tapered portion. Be careful putting the billet cover from Python, you can easily break off the cover from the tapered portion....which I did. I fixed it with a small dab of poxy. No issues after that tho.

Cheers,
D

Last edited:
#28 is not just a cap, its the whole breather.

Just FYI, if you purchase one for a venture, it will be chrome. That is why I removed mine. I had the diff chromed and wanted a chrome breather.

Okay, from what I've been able to ascertain, the cap can be placed back on the tapered piece (breather) with a little epoxy?

Attachments

• 0327131616a.jpg
    0327131616a.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34
  • 0327131616.jpg
    0327131616.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
First point - it is a final drive NOT a differential which is used to drive two wheels!

Not that I disagree, but rather would like to point out that this sub-forum is called "Drive shaft/Differential". :ummm:

I propose it be renamed simply "Final Drive".

Okay, from what I've been able to ascertain, the cap can be placed back on the tapered piece (breather) with a little epoxy?
I think that your new part is whole part, meaning you would have to take out the current tapered part and then install the new part. If you look up the bottom of the new part I believe you will see the inside of the tapered part. It's going to look funny if you epoxy the new on top of the in place tapered part.

I think he meant that it was ok to epoxy just the cap that was popped off the tapered part. He was not suggesting epoxying an entire new breather onto the existing tapered part. Just an FYI, I powdercoat the whole thing so the cap matches the pumpkin or (final drive) for the sticklers out there. They don't get clogged.

Right, but when epoxing on you don't want to use so much that it completely seals the cap in place as well as get some in the vent hole.

I think that your new part is whole part, meaning you would have to take out the current tapered part and then install the new part. If you look up the bottom of the new part I believe you will see the inside of the tapered part. It's going to look funny if you epoxy the new on top of the in place tapered part.
That's what I was thinking, but I can't find the tapered part (breather) on the microfiche. I looked at the final drive on my '94 last night and the piece that my brother bought looks like it needs to sit down in the final drive more. I see it being necessary to remove the tapered piece to accomplish that. Like I said earlier, if I can't find that piece new, I don't want to make an already bad scenario worse. I'll get down to my garage later today or tomorrow to look at things closer, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

You are holding a "tapered part" in you hand. It has a cap on it so you can't see it.

If you have the old cap that was broken off, epoxy it back on.
If you don't have the old cap, yank the tapered piece out of the final drive and tap in the new breather assembly you are holding in your hand

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 11
Back