Venture Differential Swap, Can Someone Explain?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
Guys,

Ive ready about swapping the differential for one off a venture. I was wondering if anyone could explain some things about doing this.

First off, with a stock tire and rim, how would it effect your rpms and gas milage and speed?

Secondly, i dont like the look of the diff, can you just swap the internals?

Thirdly, how does this compare to getting another size of wheel? I thought about saving up for a 17 or 18 inch wheel for the back but read the wider tire would hurt the handling around curves worse.

Im a complete noob to this topic so can we get a discussion going about all the different aspects of it?

Thanks

clintard said:
Guys,

Ive ready about swapping the differential for one off a venture. I was wondering if anyone could explain some things about doing this.

First off, with a stock tire and rim, how would it effect your rpms and gas milage and speed?

Secondly, i dont like the look of the diff, can you just swap the internals?

Thirdly, how does this compare to getting another size of wheel? I thought about saving up for a 17 or 18 inch wheel for the back but read the wider tire would hurt the handling around curves worse.

Im a complete noob to this topic so can we get a discussion going about all the different aspects of it?

Thanks

With stock wheels your RPM will decrease, you will get say 50 mph at a lower RPM, that is good if you ride long distances traveling and your gas consumption will decrease a little, that said the bike will become slower in acceleration but long winded.

the tire size can also accomplish that, a bigger diameter tire will also reduce the RPM , a 170/80X15 tire will do that, to what extent vs a venture differential I really don't now

on the other hand if you put a smaller diameter tire as in the case of ONLY radials a 180/55x17 will make your RPM go up so that at 50 mph your RPM will be increased from stock, that translates into faster take off but a short winded bike maximum rpm comes sooner.
A smaller diameter rear tire will also lower the bike and affect the handling
good for straight bad for cornering.

Some of us get so annoyed from this rise in RPM after converting to 17 inch radials so they swap the differential with a venture to bring back the RPM to stock levels, but I found that using a 160/70X17 rear tire solves this problem nicely as it is only 9 mm shorter than stock and the added benefit of keeping the rear hight of the bike ~stock. Unless you insist on a Fat rear tire and don't care so much for cornering.

Now if you have a big bore engine and transmission work then a venture differential is a must because the motor has more power than stock.

Then what are the options available?
with stock wheels go stock tire size with and 80 profile, or go with the 170/80X15 for the rear if you ride on long opened stretches for most your riding, but the weight bias will be shifted slightly forward which is a good thing if your forks are not lowered or at least you took that into account when you lowered them:)

The big question is a 17 inch or an 18 inch wheel?
1- the 18 inch has its good and bad points, the good, though it is shorter than stock it is not as short as the 17 inch so the RPM will not be raised significantly:) the bad thing is the available 18 inch tire sizes from all manufacturers is limited in the number of sizes:(
also people do not realize that a shorter tire profile= less sock absorption by the tire and more shock absorbing demand on the shocks so stock shocks have to go eventually:(
2- The 17 inch wheel good points, a big variety of sizes from all manufacturers:),Faster take off and acceleration:) now the bad is if you are a fat tire fan it will lower the rear of the bike shifting the weight more to the back resulting in a light front that is unstable at speeds something like having a passenger:( so front lowering has to be done either by sliding the forks up ( only if you replaced the stock springs with stiffer ones or else the fender will hit the radiator you have a stock front wheel? right.)
With sizes like a 170/60X17 or a 180/55X17 the RPM will be raised thus increasing vibration of the engine also you can't ride leisurely with RPM at higher levels and you are over taxing the engine for no reason.
With both 18 and 17 if a wide fat tire is desired your bike might not accommodate these sizes without swing arm notching(weakening) Bracing because of that. now if you want to fit a fat tire the wheel has to have an off set to move it away from the swing arm this is messing with the front to rear wheel alignment which will result in a poor handling nice looking bike

Now lets talk about the front leave it 18 or get a 17?
If you leave it 18 you will have to lower the front to shift the weight forward to correct the rear lowering that resulted from the fat rear.

If you get 17 the front will instantly be shorter by 2 inch, you will also have a big gap between the tire and fender which looks bad so a fender spacer is needed, now the speedometer is reading miles faster resulting in false higher than actual speed reading so you will need to replace the speedometer gear for ~ $30. the brake with 17 inch feels a little stronger ( it bites ) if not careful but not a deterrent from using a 17 inch.
I had a 120/70X17 front which is 600 mm in diameter replaced it with a 130/70X17 which is a 614 mm diameter and like it much better than the 120 , it has more rubber , damps potholes better and has the highest weight load to handle the forward wt bias I have the bike set at.
If you are starting from a bone stock I suggest you do race tech springs & emulator with one inch internal lowering FIRST before thinking of radials or differential.
as you can see you need to have a plan to accomplish what you want if you lower you have to compensate for it somewhere else.
having the weight bias to the rear will make bike unsteady, having it forward will need firmer front springs to a limit, if excessive front lowering is done the bike will do a stoppie in hard braking and front end dive increase to dangerous levels which increases the load on the front tire and might even exceed it in hard braking ( that is why I wanted a higher wt load rating on my front tire) moderation is key

I hope that helped
________
starcraft II replays

Last edited:
I've searched tire diameters alot on various mfg's websites and can't really find any tire that is much taller than the 170/80-15 regardless of what rim size is used....

The 170/80-15 (which I run now) is almost identical in Diameter to the stock 150/90-15 and did not give me any change in rpm's

The following is from various tire mfg sites;

I fully realize every mfg tire is slightly diff. for a given size but for the most part they are fairly close in the same size.

I can see a case being made that an 18 inch wheel is going to let you achieve an almost stock or very slightly improved (lower) cruising rpm compared to a 17 inch rim if it is used with the right size tire.
But I don't see where it could noticeably lower your cruising rpms versus the stock 15 incher....

I think that a rear end swap would be the only noticable way to lower rpm's..that or do venture 5th gear swap$$$$$$$$$ or both ......

Incidentally I ran a 180/70-15 on mine (no washer swap needed) and the rpm rise was almost intolerable on long trips.....
the 180/70 is pretty close to most 17 inch tires in Dia.

For me I would rule out ever going to a 17 inch wheel and would have to go with the 18 inch rim and a 180/55-18 tire.......
And a Venture rear.....$$$$$$
And a 5th gear swap$$$$$$$

15 inch tires

150/90
v-max stock diameter 26.1
170/80 26.1
180/70 24.9

17 inch tires

1607/70 24.88
170/60 24.96
180/55 24.96
190/60 25.83

18 inch tires

140/70 25.7
150/70 26.2
170/60 26.0
180/55 26.3

I definitely agree about lowering the front slightly, Springs, cartridge emulators, rear shock, frame braces and fork brace...
Those were the first mods I did to mine and they were worth every penny

As per Metzler brochure:
1- Stock tire diameter (150/90X15) = 662mm= 26.0630inch
2- The 170/60X17 = 636mm= 25.0394inch
3- 180/55X17 = 630mm= 24.8031inch
4- 160/70X17 = 653mm= 25.7087inch
I think you were looking at a 160/60X17 not a 160/70X17
it is still shorter than stock by only 9mm which is the tallest size in 17 inch
the RPM remained almost the same as stock and the bike takes off a little faster.

To my knowledge the only manufacturer that lists the tire dimensions is Metzler, did you find any other manufacturer that lists dimensions? if so can you provide a link to them.
Thanks
________
Toyota Corolla Levin and Toyota Sprinter Trueno history

Last edited:
I typoed that one for sure as you are right on the 160/70-17;

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/glamourindex.aspx?productID=2

The Metzler, site and bridgestone site as well as a few generic " motorcycle size charts" are out there...

My point was that an 18 has taller choices overall and will get you closer to stock rpm if not slightly lower and that the 17 might get you close but will still be higher rpm's than stock...

I think the guy was trying to lower his cruise rpms which is where my answer was headed..

Using your numbers for the two tire you highlighted and rounding of Pi the rpm's that were 5000 with the stock metzler are gonna be around 5070 with the 160/70-17
and around 4950 with the 180/55-18

The whole point being that generally it's hard to get an rpm decrease by playing with wheel tire combo's and will in most cases take you the opposite direction...

What he wants is not going to be accomplished by tires as you said, the only options he has is a venture rear or gears like you said again.
my point about the 160/70X17 is for people who have a 17 rear and are not happy with the crazy increase in RPM, I am one of these people, I had a 180/55X17 and replaced it for that same reason after only 1K, just couldn't stand straining the engine while riding leisurely.
the problem with 18 is the very limited tire choice but usually if a person is happy with a tire they will continue using it. another thing is the short profile will give your back a beating on bumpy roads.

wfcall said:
I typoed that one for sure as you are right on the 160/70-17;

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/glamourindex.aspx?productID=2

The Metzler, site and bridgestone site as well as a few generic " motorcycle size charts" are out there...

My point was that an 18 has taller choices overall and will get you closer to stock rpm if not slightly lower and that the 17 might get you close but will still be higher rpm's than stock...

I think the guy was trying to lower his cruise rpms which is where my answer was headed..

Using your numbers for the two tire you highlighted and rounding of Pi the rpm's that were 5000 with the stock metzler are gonna be around 5070 with the 160/70-17
and around 4950 with the 180/55-18

The whole point being that generally it's hard to get an rpm decrease by playing with wheel tire combo's and will in most cases take you the opposite direction...
________
vapor genie vaporizer

Last edited:
firefly said:
What he wants is not going to be accomplished by tires as you said, the only options he has is a venture rear or gears like you said again.
my point about the 160/70X17 is for people who have a 17 rear and are not happy with the crazy increase in RPM, I am one of these people, I had a 180/55X17 and replaced it for that same reason after only 1K, just couldn't stand straining the engine while riding leisurely.
the problem with 18 is the very limited tire choice but usually if a person is happy with a tire they will continue using it. another thing is the short profile will give your back a beating on bumpy roads.

I agree completely....
when I went to the 180/70-15 I experienced the same intolerable rpm increase....
Took it to the strip and wore it out quick just to get rid of it.....

Back