venture final drive diff

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I saw somebody with the venture final drive differential for sale, was wondering how the venture diff is different than the stock vmax???

It's 10% shorter (higher) gearing

You lose about 500 RPM at highway speed.

It also means your bike accelerates 10% slower, at the "benefit" that it could theoretically go 10% faster top end. Except the stock engine doesn't have the power to spin a venture diff to redline in fifth gear, and even if it did, you'd never keep the bike stable enough to reach that theoretical 160ish top end. In reality a Venture diff bike isn't any faster top end than a stock, and takes longer to get there.

I'm not even sure it really helps with MPG, my bike came with one and usually got 38-40mpg, which seems pretty much right in line with the numbers from guys with stock bikes.

An interesting thing I noticed..I geared down my Z, added 2 teeth to the rear sprocket....picked up like 300RPM on the highway, and it gets better mileage. I'm getting consistently about 10-15 miles farther to the fuel warning than before, despite the engine spinning faster all the time.

I'd like to know too. Does it bolt on without any adjustments? It is supposed to reduce rpm's.

If you are not an "enthusiastic" Vmax rider, and if you do more highway riding, the Venture is for you. Why not cruise in fifth on the highway at 500 rpms less? Big motor guys use it off the line with good effect. Install is no different than a stock diff unless you get a Venture diff with the shock mount that is different. So in a nutshell, if you like hammering your Max, keep stock and live with the gas mileage. If you are a cruiser, why not save gas and have a less buzzy bike at highway speed. Common prices are $350 for one ready to bolt in and freshly painted.

Patmax is right about the 1500's benefitting from the venture diff. I raced my buddy's 1500 a few years ago off a light and I held him off till we clicked 3rd and he left me pretty good. The big blocks like it a little more long legged.

Running the stock diff and a royal star 5th gear conversion in my 1540.

I don't know what the venture diff feels like but if it does to every gear what the royal star 5th gear conversion did to 5th gear, I would not want it.

I'm not saying the big motors cant utilize it tho, just a preference

Rusty, your RS 5th is a 23% drop. The venture diff is 10%. So, not as drastic. BUT, the advantage of yours is a very nice drop in rpm that actually gets the screaming of the engine out. It also leaves the first 4 gears intact so you run faster (up to 120 anyway).

We do sell the venture sets and they are ok and work well for someone that isn't playing on a regular basis.

Rusty, your RS 5th is a 23% drop. The venture diff is 10%. So, not as drastic. BUT, the advantage of yours is a very nice drop in rpm that actually gets the screaming of the engine out. It also leaves the first 4 gears intact so you run faster (up to 120 anyway).

We do sell the venture sets and they are ok and work well for someone that isn't playing on a regular basis.

Oh, ok.

I definetely like the RS 5th in my application.
All the zip of normal and 4000rpm at 80mph!

I didn't realize the venture pumpkin wasn't that aggressive.

the reason I was asking about the venture diff is because I put a venture trans gear assembly in my vmax and man this bike will smoke the s**t outa the back tire off the line now. I am now questioning how the venture trans + diff combo differes from stock vmax.

I run the RS 5th gear and it is great until I start playing with other bikes. When I was riding with a pack of Vmax's during last years Spring Icebreaker and we were running about 120 and still going and I slipped it into 5th gear....3 bikes immediatly left me slowly climbing the speedometer dial. I should have left it in 4th until the shift light lit and it might not have been as noticeable. It won't be as bad with your build, probably not even a issue. 90% of my riding I'll never have to worry about get max speed out of 5th gear and I'll just enjoy the lower rpm's and gas savings while cruising.

Back