Venture final drive / differential install & broken pinion bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCCRUISER

Reaction score
Noobie here!

Can anyone tell me how to install the shock stud required by a VMAX on a Venture final drive housing?

Bought my first Max a little over a week ago. It's a '92 and I got a good price knowing it had some deficiencies.

Although it runs well and accelerates harder than anything currently in my stable, it was making that ugly noise/vibration/grinding on deceleration. I knew something bad was up, but I was pretty sure it wasn't the middle gear or tranny. Searching the forum I found threads talking about the loose nut on the pinion, or worse yet, the nut actually being broken off.

I pulled the real wheel and separated the rear from the swing arm. Lucky me, that nut that holds the coupling gear on the pinion was snapped right off. Draining the diff oil shows a few small chunks of metal much bigger than the normal wear particles. I strongly suspect that the ring and/or pinion are damaged. That leaves out the possibility of tapping the pinion and threading in a new bolt and nut that has been proposed by some.

Since the Max is more than enough bike for me and I'd like to calm down the RPM's a bit on a cruise, I've decided to swap in the Venture differential.

Unfortunately, the Venture diff doesn't have the stud that the left shock mounts to at the bottom because the Venture uses a monoshock. The mounting point is there and capped. I haven't bought one yet, but I want to be sure it isn't a big hassle to install the shock stud mounting bolt. So is it just a matter of unscrewing the old stud for my deceased diff and screwing it into the Venture diff, or is another procedure required?

THANKS!

LC

When I did mine it didnt even have a hole or plug. I had to drill and tap it...carefully
Cheers

the plug just popped out (screw driver) used a set of vise grips to remove the stud and put it in venture drive.
Seems easy enough. Appreciate the input! Now to find a final drive at a reasonable price. Any prospects out there for me?

Back