Venture final drive swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

Hey guys, I just got this Venture rear diff today and am planning to swap it in place of my stock Max rear. I scraped the plastic off the hole where the shock mounts and there is a stud in there. I'm wondering how to remove it?? Do I use a Dremel cutting disc and cut a groove in the middle and use a big screw driver to remove it???:ummm:

That's an 83-85 Venture diff and will not work on your vmax.

No, the ring gear has the built in drive splines which has a different offset.

Oh, that's a good thing of-which to be aware, I've almost bought a couple '83-'85 Ventures thinking the diff would swap. I was more interested in them for the engine components, though, but have never actually bought one.

I was.going to buy the venture for the final drive, then the 5th gear, then the bottom end. Eventually I just bought one to ride and decided to leave the Vmax gears alone. A gopd call for me but if a Venture final drive does present its going on the max.

The 83-85 Ventures aren't worth very much at all for Vmax usage. No diff, the engine is low compression and no cc increase with heavy rods and pre-recall trans design. So, unless you were desperate or got it super cheap and were going to move over most of your vmax internals it's not worth it for that. The gearing is not much different for 5th gear so not even worth it for that change.

The 86-93 Venture 1300 is a great donor bike. The diff is 10% ratio difference and a bolt on swap (you move over your shock stud). The engine has the same compression ratio as the Vmax but with the 100cc's increase. The trans is still the pre-recall vmax design (early 85 type) but most of the time will work without too many issues. The 5th gear is still barely different on the ratios so don't buy it for an "overdrive" upgrade. The rods are heavier so 9k is still a suggested redline. Still need to swap heads/cams to get the power out of it though.

The Royal Star (Tour Deluxe) has the right trans for the overdrive but different case design so none of hte vmax covers will swap. You can put the vmax heads/cams on there but the Star engine has lower compression so you would want to swap in pistons from a 86-93 Venture (or aftermarket) to get the power back so again not a perfect candidate for the upgrade.

The other Star bikes have various ratios in the transmissions but again the same case issues and compression issues exist.

I've gone a step farther since I didnt like the look of the venture gearbox. I took a spare vmax gearbox and opened both up swapping out the gears.

Sean Morley (one2dmax) loaned me a tool to open up the gearbox's in order to swap the gears! Thanks again Sean!!!

So now I run late 80's venture gears with my stock vmax gearbox....I run 17" radials on front and back so now all I have to do is fix my speedo, but not too worried about that :punk:

I've gone a step farther since I didnt like the look of the venture gearbox. I took a spare vmax gearbox and opened both up swapping out the gears.

Sean Morley (one2dmax) loaned me a tool to open up the gearbox's in order to swap the gears! Thanks again Sean!!!

So now I run late 80's venture gears with my stock vmax gearbox....I run 17" radials on front and back so now all I have to do is fix my speedo, but not too worried about that :punk:

What was the tool that was lent ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back