Venture guys, 83 with 1300cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/5683087414.html

I'm considering this, I have already decided to wait for a 1300 for the bigger luggage and 1300cc. I can live with smaller luggage but wondering what other must haves this bike is missing that was added later, besides the obvious improved engine and gearbox which has apparently been swapped out. I can make some concessions for a machine this nice at this price point but I'm interested in what else I may be giving up that other long distance riders have considered important. I know for the early models I have to have a close look at the frame but I'm appealing to those that know more than I for any wisdom before I wander into tourist packed Keystone for a looksee.

I sent him an email asking about documentation and such, input welcome.

Thanks.

It looks like a sweetheart of a deal to me, if it runs as smoothly as indicated & has no trans problems, and the air shocks all hold pressure. It even still has the cassette section cover. Sweetheart of a deal, if you want a full dresser.

It doesn't look as if this one is equipped with the OEM cruise control though, unless I'm missing it in the pics. Perhaps Yamaha didn't add that to the Royales until a later year? My 86 had it.

It looks like a sweetheart of a deal to me, if it runs as smoothly as indicated & has no trans problems, and the air shocks all hold pressure. It even still has the cassette section cover. Sweetheart of a deal, if you want a full dresser.

It doesn't look as if this one is equipped with the OEM cruise control though, unless I'm missing it in the pics. Perhaps Yamaha didn't add that to the Royales until a later year? My 86 had it.

+1....love those bikes.

What can you get for $1250 now-a-days? Nothing good that's for sure. I would jump on that deal.

That bike looks amazing, jump on it before you miss out. Even if you change your mind you can anyways resell and get more than you paid.

00808_fQHihrV7w8R_600x450.jpg

Bolt on a set of VMax heads and have fun!

Thats what I suspected. I'm waiting to hear back from him, I'll go see it, if it is what it appears I'll bring it home. It seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

Thanks guys!

This guy has not gotten back to me, so presumably it has been sold to someone quicker than I. It's cool though. I just went to look at this 87 and hoping I can further tap the opinions and experience of the seasoned Venture guys.

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/5671646891.html

I fired it up but didnt ride, it feels soft in low RPMs, not sharp and snappy like the max, almost sounds as if there is a slight missfire or it's out of synch. Not sure how much different they look and sound than a max.

I noticed when I pulled the brake it dropped to 10v, so assuming I will need to work the charging system. The starter has a super slow spin so I'm guessing I'll need to get into there to. It has 72k and no service history so not sure when valves were done. Cosmetically its alright for a 30 yr old bike but in no way a showroom condition machine. He claims to have ridden it like it is for years and I perceive him to be an honest guy.

I'm teetering on making him an offer or just waiting for a nicer machine and paying a touch more. Any opinions on it's probable value or anything else on this.

Thanks again gents.

It wont feel snappy like the Vmax, even though its a bigger engine, the jetting for the main jets is way smaller, 125-130ish if I remember correctly.

Either one is a hell of a deal! Shit, grab up both of 'em! :punk:

I was ready to jump on the first one but the guy said sale pending and never responded after that so I'm sure it's gone.

With this one I'm looking at it's showing some use, cosmetic evidence of it's 30 years on this earth. I'm OCD as hell so I'll have to fix everything even though he was able to ride it as is.

Seat is taped up, will need to reupholster or replace
Broken fairing piece and loose on the bike, didnt see why but will need attention.
Alternator, V drops to 8 when brake lever is squeezed.
Starter, Feels like dead battery but I know there is a know issue for the Venture.
Rear caliper.
Valve adjust r/t lack of service Hx, not known when last tune was done.
Box that controls intercom, works but face of the box is missing.
Air compressor for suspension adjust is out, PO wired it up with shrader valves. I'll have to correct that.

With all that I'm going to need to do I'm feeling like an offer of around 1500 would be appropriate. Whatcha guys think, how much is a mile-heavy 30 year old bike that needs some work worth? I dont want to insult the guy, he's really cool but I have to come up with a fair offer based on what it needs.

When I threw a leg over it, it felt like an old glove, leaving no doubt in my mind that the Venture is the right bike for me.

He's obviously lost interest in it. In good condition, needing nothing but maybe new rubber, I'd say, $2K USA. This one has enough things wrong wit it that will require $$$ shop labor charges and parts, that he shouldn't take offense at a $1200 offer. Of course, you can do the labor yourself, and if you aren't too-concerned about cosmetics, you can make it a 'runner' w/o worrying too-much about appearance. I have a new OEM antenna for one of those.

I've looked at a few of those over time, and never bought anything but an engine. I got that from a guy who worked at Jack Roush's shop. They had done an engine design for one of the people who owned Indian before Polaris, he used it as a study of how one of the big boys (Big 4 Japanese) layed out the engine & gearbox.

If it runs well, then probably it might be worth $1500 to you, but I wouldn't pay any more. What's the deal w/the rear caliper? He said "new rear pads." Is the caliper leaking? A seal kit is cheap, relatively-speaking.

He's obviously lost interest in it. In good condition, needing nothing but maybe new rubber, I'd say, $2K USA. This one has enough things wrong wit it that will require $$$ shop labor charges and parts, that he shouldn't take offense at a $1200 offer. Of course, you can do the labor yourself, and if you aren't too-concerned about cosmetics, you can make it a 'runner' w/o worrying too-much about appearance. I have a new OEM antenna for one of those.

I've looked at a few of those over time, and never bought anything but an engine. I got that from a guy who worked at Jack Roush's shop. They had done an engine design for one of the people who owned Indian before Polaris, he used it as a study of how one of the big boys (Big 4 Japanese) layed out the engine & gearbox.

If it runs well, then probably it might be worth $1500 to you, but I wouldn't pay any more. What's the deal w/the rear caliper? He said "new rear pads." Is the caliper leaking? A seal kit is cheap, relatively-speaking.

He said it's not putting down the stopping power it did before pad replacement and figures the pistons may be hanging up. I'm comfortable with your price assessment, I think it would leave me some headroom for when the plastic comes off and I end up ordering a basket of stuff. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it makes sense. I'll see if this works for him. I would rather pay less and do some of the work. If it turns out to be a sweet bike I'll no doubt paint it at some point since the Vmax paint project came out so well.

He did loose interest in it, he bought a gen 2 Vmax, the pics dont do those things justice, it's a great looking bike.

I figured I would wrap up this loose end with a short story and a couple pics.

I found a red 88 Venture with 9k mi on CL in Sioux City (~450 mi away), after quite a bit of back and forth with the seller wife and I embark on this journey to get said bike. I got there, its 109k, just rolled over, needs lots of work, cosmetic and neglected maintainance. I pass on the bike and resign myself to going home empty handed, but it's ok, we like road trips and really dont even need a reason, so it's all good. Next day we start driving back toward Rapid. We get hungry and stop in Mitchel to get a wicked burger at a joint by the Corn Palace and after getting off the highway and starting into town I notice a small motorsports shop down a less traveled block and I spot a blue Venture Royal, looking really good. I made her pull in where she patiently waited quite a while while I went back and forth on this thing, test riding it and all. It's a one owner with 69k, all headsets, oem tools, manual and bike cover, and all service history. $2800. I ended up riding it away for $2050 out the door the remaining 300 miles or so back home. Hit some treacherous rain and crosswinds that had every gas station and rest area picnic spot crowded with Harleys going to and from Sturgis huddled under any shelter. I get the bike home and aside from rebuilding the forks with progressives and tires she needs nothing and everything works perfectly. I'm not sure why I didnt buy one of these years ago. It may or may not get vmax heads/cams someday, really not decided. It gets right on down the road just the way it is.

Thanks guys for helping out with the questions when I was looking at the local one.

Attachments

• venture_left.jpg
    venture_left.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 26
  • venture_rear.jpg
    venture_rear.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
I figured I would wrap up this loose end with a short story and a couple pics.

I found a red 88 Venture with 9k mi on CL in Sioux City (~450 mi away), after quite a bit of back and forth with the seller wife and I embark on this journey to get said bike. I got there, its 109k, just rolled over, needs lots of work, cosmetic and neglected maintainance. I pass on the bike and resign myself to going home empty handed, but it's ok, we like road trips and really dont even need a reason, so it's all good. Next day we start driving back toward Rapid. We get hungry and stop in Mitchel to get a wicked burger at a joint by the Corn Palace and after getting off the highway and starting into town I notice a small motorsports shop down a less traveled block and I spot a blue Venture Royal, looking really good. I made her pull in where she patiently waited quite a while while I went back and forth on this thing, test riding it and all. It's a one owner with 69k, all headsets, oem tools, manual and bike cover, and all service history. $2800. I ended up riding it away for $2050 out the door the remaining 300 miles or so back home. Hit some treacherous rain and crosswinds that had every gas station and rest area picnic spot crowded with Harleys going to and from Sturgis huddled under any shelter. I get the bike home and aside from rebuilding the forks with progressives and tires she needs nothing and everything works perfectly. I'm not sure why I didnt buy one of these years ago. It may or may not get vmax heads/cams someday, really not decided. It gets right on down the road just the way it is.

Thanks guys for helping out with the questions when I was looking at the local one.

Nice find!!- Measure those coils and get back to me.

Now that's the one to have blue even my fav color, you did good finding that one, your going to love that bike, I just sold my 86 this spring, I used to love smoking my buddy's 1200 sporty with the music playin i might add LOL !!!

Latest posts

Back