Vertical License Plate on the Swingarm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSMAX

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving my license plate to the swingarm, oriented vertically. I run the 240 back tire. Has anyone done this and care to share pics? Or, has anyone seen where to buy a bracket to do it? I want the plate curved like you see on other bikes. I have the Hindle 4-2-1, so it would balance just fine, visually, with a muffler on the right and the plate on the left. I am having a hard time finding something that mounts on the gearbox bolts. Any help is appreciated. Pic included for visual. Thanks.rear view vmax.jpg

I'm thinking of moving my license plate to the swingarm, oriented vertically. I run the 240 back tire. Has anyone done this and care to share pics? Or, has anyone seen where to buy a bracket to do it? I want the plate curved like you see on other bikes. I have the Hindle 4-2-1, so it would balance just fine, visually, with a muffler on the right and the plate on the left. I am having a hard time finding something that mounts on the gearbox bolts. Any help is appreciated. Pic included for visual. Thanks.View attachment 89222
20161022_155412.jpg20150816_134208.jpg20201102_143730.jpg
Wow! I'm realizing in this that I don't have many pics at all of the keft side of my machine, did find one to show the plate holder.
So if you can re-size that last pic, you can see the part I fabbed up and attached to that (bought) plate holder in order to bolt it up to the shock plate because of the unusual mount point.
The plate light is an L.E.D. run/brake light.
I much rather build than buy for a more unique, custom, one-of-a-kind bike.
Gent

Don't have any pics of the side mount plate on a gen 2 but I have run them on the gen 1's for years in Ks without any issues at all.

Have you checked the Vehicle Codes for running a vertical plate in Kansas?

Plate holder Amazon

View attachment 89230
I've seen a few (not many) around mounted vertically. I've never heard of an issue. I looked into the statutes thoroughly and only found this..no specific mention of vertical mounted plates. I think as long as it's unobstructed and legible, I'm fine. I may ask a couple state trooper friends to be safe. Here's the wording direct from the KS statute - Every license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, to prevent the plate from swinging, and at a height not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate. The license plate shall be fastened in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

Don't have any pics of the side mount plate on a gen 2 but I have run them on the gen 1's for years in Ks without any issues at all.
I, too have seen some, so I didn't question it. Statute only says securely mounted, unobstructed, and clearly legible.

Hi KSmax There is no problem with the side mount marker I use it on all my custom bikes that I ship around the United States and the ones I ship over seas
as long as the marker is visible and the most important part that it is well illuminated so you can see it at night I make a fold away or stationary side marker plate holder give Paul a call he would be happy to explain 203 5747859 Elizabeth for Paul good riding and stay safe

Well if that's the case then why not make the plate itself by yourself and mount it where you want as long as it is easy to read?

Latest posts

Back