Very Good Engine Cleaning/shining Procedure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
My neighbor has a Yamaha Warrior and it's engine is mostly black, just like my '01 V-Max. He shared an engine cleaning/shining procedure that works great for those of you who own the V-Max with the glossy black engine!! So here it is--

After washing and drying your bike, spray WD 40 onto a microfiber applicator (purchased at Wal-Mart for $1.00) and rub it onto your engine. Your engine will shine, shine, shine. Don't put too much WD 40 on your engine, just a fine coat. Rub down all of the brushed aluminum parts on the engine covers and bolts. It'll avoid corrosion, oxidation, and rust of your engine covers, bolts, metal, etc. IT WORKS!!

Sounds like what we did in the military. Wash the M113A1 APC then dump diesel on it and rub it all over. Made the camo paint job shine till ya got in the dirt, dust and crap stuck to it real well but washed right off under a 1 1/2 hose with a 3/8 straight stream nozzle.

Hi
You get even better result using siliconespray doing the same procedure as above but the silicone goes into the paint and "refat" it so to say, also works great on rubbers and cables and the switchparts of the handlebars.
I used it for many years and my old VMAX looks almost like new after 120000 km.

I use S100 Engine brightener on the motor and the handlebar controls (avoid the grips!) and it works very good. Anything that has a faded look will definitely go from a dull grey back to black. Of course it does attract dust etc. so you need to rinse the bike of fairly frequently.

I put CRC 656 (marine grade)on everything. Even washed up with it on the road when I couldn't get soap and water a few times. Maybe I like it so much cause I get it free....lol Is a good rust inhibitor and shines the black up nice
Steve.

A lot of great tips guys. I typically use car related detailing products but I'll give one of these a try. Speaking of...CD-2 is great for engine detailing in general. It makes your engine look brand new. You can get it from Autozone.

I haven't used it on the Vmax yet.

Hi
You get even better result using siliconespray doing the same procedure as above but the silicone goes into the paint and "refat" it so to say, also works great on rubbers and cables and the switchparts of the handlebars.
I used it for many years and my old VMAX looks almost like new after 120000 km.
Taarzaahn knows what he's talking about.Siliconespray works the best.SC1 Clear Coat by Maxima or Mo tool Shine & Go.Works like WD-40 but doesn't attract dirt.:eek:h yeah:

I have always used plain old armour all on all my bikes. It makes the engine color return and dust and dirt won't adhere to it, hence a feather duster can be used for a quick wipe down before a ride.

Lemon Pledge on EVERYTHING!!!!! brings the flat blak to nice gloss, for the paint it just shimmers the gold flake in it,and dust does not stick.

Pledge gives a nice shine but I've found it tends to wear off very quickly. It is after all designed for coffee tables, not 200* blocks of metal 3" above the road going 100mph. Then again it will make your engine lemony fresh, so you get whiffs of citrus when you're idling in traffic.

I might have to give the silicone spray a try. I've used a product called Cycle Care FormulaB "black engine enhancer". It really shines up and lasts a while, but it does seem to attract dust and grime.

Pledge gives a nice shine but I've found it tends to wear off very quickly. It is after all designed for coffee tables, not 200* blocks of metal 3" above the road going 100mph. Then again it will make your engine lemony fresh, so you get whiffs of citrus when you're idling in traffic.

crap! so i shouldn't expect my desk/race car to be shiny after a loop around the track?
378369-fast-couch-550x309.jpg

I tried the wd40 and silicone spray and they both work very good.I use Eagle one Nano wax for the plastic and painted parts and the wd40 for the engine and wheels.Good stuff.

I just use silocone spray as it doesnt smell unlike WD40.....this is the same as with dirtbikes, spray them down the silocone spray or WD40 when your done....Water Despersent........so on so on...

My roadliner is the midnight version an with my max being all chromed out i dont want to spend any more time shining than needed so i found a really good product line called Bikebrite they make a cleaner and a shine product that works great .

For plastics Plexus works great, and interesting to note that Carrozzeria recommends using Pledge on it's wheels.
For the rest of the bike I going try Maxima SC1 silicone spray. I usually thoroughly wash the bike at the begining of the season and then occasionaly hose off the big crud and spot clean with something like Ice wax spray cleaner/ polish.

I usually thoroughly wash the bike at the begining of the season and then occasionaly hose off the big crud and spot clean with something like Ice wax spray cleaner/ polish.

That's usually what I do...not real big on cleaning it. After getting caught in the rain or once the bug splatters start to really build up I might blast it again, but otherwise just some spray-n-wipe stuff works good. I have this Turtle Wax Ice spray cleaner/wax that works great for touch-ups.

Really good stuff ,you guy,s invented it NASA helped ,spray it everywhere,makes things like new again,can't say enough good things about it. Hi from Barrie On. Canada

Just fort you to know if you spray silicon based stuff on painted surfaces you'll never be able to paint it again or touch up unless you strip it down. Silicon is paint repellent and when painting over a silicon sprayed area it will micro bubble and make a rough surface. No matter how much you clean it the darn thing gets in really deep... I do not recommend. Its good for o-rings tough it will bring back dried up rubber boots and such...

Back