VIN Number - unable to look up???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Trying to identify a bike im about to buy.
Its located in Denmark, but the Vin number doest come up on vin-lookup services online.
Any help identifng the year, and any history, or online services that can find info on it.

Vin: 2LT-011743

That's the engine number.

VIN looks like.

JYA2LTN03WA01xxxx
JYA Japan Yamaha A = motorcycle
N = market = Canada
W = model year 1998

You'll find it stamped in the head stock on the right hand side.

What do you hope it will tell you? The only thing you really need to know is whether it is full power (has vboost) or not, I don't believe the VIN will tell you that, you need to listen to the valve motor do its cycle when ignition is turned on.

That's the engine number.

VIN looks like.

JYA2LTN03WA01xxxx
JYA Japan Yamaha A = motorcycle
N = market = Canada
W = model year 1998

You'll find it stamped in the head stock on the right hand side.

What do you hope it will tell you? The only thing you really need to know is whether it is full power (has vboost) or not, I don't believe the VIN will tell you that, you need to listen to the valve motor do its cycle when ignition is turned on.
Thanks
im hoping to get any info on milage when it left the country of origin. Here in Denmark its the wild west in regards of importing bikes with wrong production years, and roled back speedometers.

Also..the bike dont have a VIN plate, but only a vin stamped into the frame. Sound odd?

Also..the bike dont have a VIN plate, but only a vin stamped into the frame. Sound odd?
I don't think so; according to the manual, VIN is stamped into the headstock - just like what mine is.

Ijust found this in a tread here on the forum.
Seems to be and 87´

View attachment 76910
Yeah, look at the last 5 #'s, I think USA, 1988, if it doesn't have the Canadian headstock sticker. The fact someone sometime apparently removed the VIN sticker is mildly-of-concern, I always want to see that. Both the '87 and '88 are of the 2LT designation. Since the '1987' USA model officially didn't exist, and because of the high 'last-five digits' then I say an '88. Does it come with any Canadian registration demonstrating prior ownership in Canada?

In this day and age of internet communications, you may have a resource to track-down the bike being registered in Canada by contacting Canadian authorities, or a Canadian business capable of answering the question, "was this bike registered in Canada?" The next thing to discover, would be what was the first time it was registered, and do they keep track of the mileage, if the answer to the latter is 'yes,' what mileage records are there?

Okay...found out what was wrong...
The VIN i got from the seller where missing the last digit.
Its a 1997 from Canada.

Ask him to provide you with a pic of the engine #, as that may be different. You could have an '85 engine in a '07 frame.

Ask him to provide you with a pic of the engine #, as that may be different. You could have an '85 engine in a '07 frame.
Thats right...I got the bike and the engine number is also an LT2 from 97. Though it not the same number as the frame.

Thats right...I got the bike and the engine number is also an LT2 from 97. Though it not the same number as the frame.
How-close is it? Single-digits, double-digits? I've had Japanese bikes where it's the same, and also double-digit separation.

On a similar note, the shop I patronize, had two MV Agusta 750's (F4 model) in the shop, purchased by different people at different times at different dealers, and they were consecutive #'s. That's a fairly-rare bike, and it comes with typical Italian parts attainment difficulties. One was bought new by the builder of the carbon fibre bodywork on this bike (Gold Wing). He sold the MV Agusta after awhile, and used part of the proceeds to build the Gold Wing.

Attachments

• Honda Gold Wing c-f.02.jpg
    Honda Gold Wing c-f.02.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Carbon fiber Gold Wing.01.jpg
    Carbon fiber Gold Wing.01.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Carbon fiber Gold Wing.02.jpg
    Carbon fiber Gold Wing.02.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
How-close is it? Single-digits, double-digits? I've had Japanese bikes where it's the same, and also double-digit separation.

On a similar note, the shop I patronize, had two MV Agusta 750's (F4 model) in the shop, purchased by different people at different times at different dealers, and they were consecutive #'s. That's a fairly-rare bike, and it comes with typical Italian parts attainment difficulties. One was bought new by the builder of the carbon fibre bodywork on this bike (Gold Wing). He sold the MV Agusta after awhile, and used part of the proceeds to build the Gold Wing.
Its close

Fire-medic said:

Its close

Then it is likely the engine that it was assembled-with, I have no specific evidence this is the case, but not-always is the engine # the same as the chassis VIN, from my checking bikes over-time.

Latest posts

Back