VIN

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockingrichard3

Reaction score
Hi all I recently purchased a 1200 V Max and was looking for the VIN on the front tube but the only thing there is "24L-001002" can anyone help me out with what this is?received_2867234536893785.jpeg

Wondering if that may be a replacement frame as it apparently lacks the first few letters and numbers. Give us the engine # characters and that may help.

At this point, I'd start removing the paint around the steering head to-see if it's been re-welded in there, apart from a stock steering head which was removed. No location in your screen name area, you should add where you are. That may help unravel this.

It does look a bit modified to me but it's hard to say. The US frames for sure were not like that.

Hi Guys thanks for the input unfortunatly I am not in the same country as the bike at the moment stuck in Myanmar due to the Corvid flight restrictions but will ask my mate to have a look at the engine number and will post later

How about giving some basics about the bike? Year? Full power or restricted? I am unsure what they use across seas to prove ownership of a vehicle, but here in the states, all vehicles are issued a title. What does that say and are those frame numbers on that?

And MaxMidnight is 100% correct. According to the Yamaha frame identification site that is for a 1983 bike. Obviously cant be a Vmax as they came out later. With that being said, as I stated with the title(or whatever is used across seas to denote ownership to a vehicle), mismatch in numbers will cause issues in registration.

Couple thoughts come to mind with the number 1 issue of this bike is that its a stolen bike that was chopped to make it seem legit.

While the engine number will help making sure its to the year the bike actually is, that number(at least here in the states) isnt recorded as a valid form of ID. Cause an engine can be changed out without having to mess with vehicle identification or ownership.

I would suspect you are in for a world of headaches trying to legalize the bike in your name. You may be forced to get a new frame with all the paperwork and do a swap.

Thanks for that some background on the bike. I am an ExPat living in Laos a small country between Thailand and Vietnam. The bike came from Vietnam in 2006 and the customs transfer papers have the 24L number on it and description of V Max 1200.
It is a full power bike with the V Boost solinoid etc. and as with bikes in this part of the world it could have come from Japan or the US as there is a lot of trade with both countries.
As for being stolen it may have been years ago but has been with the bloke I got it off since 2006. With regard to getting it legal as you can imagine in this part of the world ligitimacy only depends on the size of the bribe you are willing to pay the official issueing the paperwork:)

Given that your location means you could have some talented welders fixing all-sorts of things, it isn't unlikely that the head stock was replaced at some point in the past. Supposedly, since you've had that for so-long there, it won't be a problem. If you decided to re-locate to another country, I wouldn't want to try answering those questions, should some officer question the VIN and etc.

One of the pics you included, it appears there is what looks like bare bronze brazing showing, in a spot. Paint has issues adhering to bronze brazing. If you carefully-inspect the welds/brazing there are there any-other spots like that?

Bikes do not have hidden VIN #'s like cars do. USA cars have used concealed serial #s'/VINS since before WW II to allow LEO"s to determine if a car has matching #'s.

Last edited:
Looks like the area above the #s has been sanded, scratched out. Replacement frames are unstamped by the way. If you move away from where ever it is registered, sell that thing. You don’t need those headaches. By the way, it is supposed to have White sticker with all this bikes year of manufacture compliance info.

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

The abbreviated info on the steering head won't even work to run the steering head #'s. If it's OK in Laos, don't ever take it out of the country. I hear jails in SE Asia are particularly unpleasant.

Back