Vmax 12 Vs Harley davidson fat something or other.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your last sentence sums it up, different bike, different purpose. I own a '95 max and a '00 Fat Boy. They are obviously ridden differently and as an example I work Friday though Sunday and only need to maneuver weekday insane traffic one day (Friday). That's VMax day when I have the power to blast my way out of road rager range in the morning when all the busy executives are late for important meetings. Plus the benefit of decent brakes. After work when I leave around 8pm is when they're leaving happy hour at the bar. Saturday and Sunday is when I can relax and enjoy the ride on the low and slow Harley or burn up the pavement on me Max. My split personality is content.

Seems like the perfect reason to have more than one bike. I have the Venture and it's pretty lumbering and a good choice for a guy that likes comfort and has the ability to keep a 30 yr old bike going. It will still move out of a cars way on the double quick and handles freakishly well for a 900 lb antique. I guess it's just about choosing the right steed for the day/mood/destination. My split personality likes dirt, and touring. The Vmax part is actually a pretty small part of my riding. I'm all about getting away from all these people and heading out across the plains/hills. I picked up a 250 smoker and plated it, if I really need to get away from people fast it's the right choice.

In my state, HD is more of a status bike than a riding bike. In my personal riding tastes and opinion, HD is not a good bike. I have been on quite a few HDs from 1952(which I did enjoy for the pure mechanical-ness of the bike). I tried one a buddys 92 SuperGlide with rubber mounts and just the idling of the bike made it unpleasant. One of my old riding buddys was a HD guy and he really was no joy to take with since he always wanted to switch off bikes cause the bikes vibration caused his hands and arms to go numb. From a guy who has always been on silky smooth jap bikes, a clunky HD is no thrill for me. I personally liken them to farm tractors with the tech that they run, the balance of the engine, and the ergonomics of it. Now....I have NOT ridden any HD newer than 06. But I honestly cant tell a HD apart from 2000 on up. The style has in my opinion stagnated.

Again...This is my opinion of HD and take it as you will. In the end, you need to find and ride something you like and enjoy that fits and suits you.

I agree and all of that about HD is totally ok and its all personal but my gripe is based on the pure bang for your buck, no doubt HD is a world wide leader of a m,cycle brand in its name and is synonymous with Hollywood movies going back generations and that alone makes this bike brand stick, BUT personally I can't see the justification in ME forking out £20,000 for a bike that the japs can do for many thousands less after all I want to ride the motorcycle not straddle the badge and make loud noises. The vulcan 1600 meany is a very good bike apart from the name and the spare cash could go a long way to buying the wife a hand bag.

I have a friend who is 72 years old and bought a new Harley Ultra last year. This thing is smooth, fast, quiet, and very comfortable. He's got about every option he could get except for the chrome everything. It was also over $30,000 and weighs a ton. Maybe he can ride it 6 months of the year, too much salt on the roads here in the winter, and it rains until June.

I agree and all of that about HD is totally ok and its all personal but my gripe is based on the pure bang for your buck, no doubt HD is a world wide leader of a m,cycle brand in its name and is synonymous with Hollywood movies going back generations and that alone makes this bike brand stick, BUT personally I can't see the justification in ME forking out £20,000 for a bike that the japs can do for many thousands less after all I want to ride the motorcycle not straddle the badge and make loud noises. The vulcan 1600 meany is a very good bike apart from the name and the spare cash could go a long way to buying the wife a hand bag.

You hit one of my key issues right here. I have never been able to figure out why a new Road King cost more than a new KLR. To me they feel like $5000 bikes, the thought of forking over 30, 40+ large on one is just nonsensical to me. For what a new CVO costs I could buy a low mileage 1200RT (superior in every conceivable way), AND a low mileage 3 series ragtop and still fatten up my IRA some. Love HD or hate em', there is just no way to justify the MSRPs being over about half of what they currently are. There are just too many better sorted, better performing, better sounding, better looking, better built, more cost effective options. We are even seeing GL1800s moving out at under 5k in some places.

Here is a right proper twin cyl cruiser that offers a lot, including performance. It's very unique, has more tude' and it's priced right, if not a touch high. Most of all there aren't 3 of them at every stop light. https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/...d/2018/thunderbird/variants/thunderbird-storm. We just got done ranting about the Rocket 3 too, wow! a guy can snap one of those up used starting at around 5k now. The new Rocket 3 is just silly, esp for the new TFC model, which is priced like an HD. It looks like you get a helluva lot of bike though. https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-fea...fc-revealed-with-ginormous-2500cc-triple.html This bike just got discussion on another forum. This is a bike I would open my wallet wide for. Not 30k wide, but wide.

No, I have no shares in Triumph haha. I'm just amazed at how fucking good they have become.

It's not that expensive to land on a really great bike. But for those that enjoy the narrow twin and wish to add an HD to their stable just hold tight, it wont be much longer before prices fall into line. Looking on CL I see a lot of folks trying to get out from under these bikes. Demand is falling and supply is rising, unless they are priced at rock bottom they seem to just say on CL forever.

OMG, thats the first time I saw the new rocket 3, its way nicer than the roadster I had and 200cc bigger too, I am not gushing over a brit bike coz I is a Brit, hell if it were crap I would say so as lots of brit bikes have been, but that is loverrrrly, I still wouldnt fork out all that dosh for one tho, I would rather wait until father time has taken away some of the depreciation off of it, then I will strike when my wife isnt looking;).
I can see another test ride coming tho just so I can feel the difference between it and the 2 wheeled car I had 6 years ago.

Ohio hmm with that weather it sounds like its twinned with England somewhere
Yep, our weather creeps up from the Gulf of Mexico and blows across the Atlantic to you guys, lol. Used to carry all the acid rain with it until all the factories moved to China and Mexico. And by the way, I told my friend that he could buy (7) low mileage Gen1 Max's, one for each day of the week, for what he paid for that Ultra

Yep, our weather creeps up from the Gulf of Mexico and blows across the Atlantic to you guys, lol. Used to carry all the acid rain with it until all the factories moved to China and Mexico. And by the way, I told my friend that he could buy (7) low mileage Gen1 Max's, one for each day of the week, for what he paid for that Ultra

Yes we have a tendancey to blame it on the US when the bad weather comes straight across the pond ( not when its good though) then the Scandinavians blame us for passing it to them
A vmax for every day!! and I bet they will all scare you in a slightly different way, what a way to keep the Adrenalin kick going

You hit one of my key issues right here. I have never been able to figure out why a new Road King cost more than a new KLR. To me they feel like $5000 bikes, the thought of forking over 30, 40+ large on one is just nonsensical to me. For what a new CVO costs I could buy a low mileage 1200RT (superior in every conceivable way), AND a low mileage 3 series ragtop and still fatten up my IRA some. Love HD or hate em', there is just no way to justify the MSRPs being over about half of what they currently are. There are just too many better sorted, better performing, better sounding, better looking, better built, more cost effective options. We are even seeing GL1800s moving out at under 5k in some places.

Here is a right proper twin cyl cruiser that offers a lot, including performance. It's very unique, has more tude' and it's priced right, if not a touch high. Most of all there aren't 3 of them at every stop light. https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/...d/2018/thunderbird/variants/thunderbird-storm. We just got done ranting about the Rocket 3 too, wow! a guy can snap one of those up used starting at around 5k now. The new Rocket 3 is just silly, esp for the new TFC model, which is priced like an HD. It looks like you get a helluva lot of bike though. https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-fea...fc-revealed-with-ginormous-2500cc-triple.html This bike just got discussion on another forum. This is a bike I would open my wallet wide for. Not 30k wide, but wide.

No, I have no shares in Triumph haha. I'm just amazed at how fucking good they have become.

It's not that expensive to land on a really great bike. But for those that enjoy the narrow twin and wish to add an HD to their stable just hold tight, it wont be much longer before prices fall into line. Looking on CL I see a lot of folks trying to get out from under these bikes. Demand is falling and supply is rising, unless they are priced at rock bottom they seem to just say on CL forever.

There is something very nice about the triumph parallel twins, they are very torquey but with a burst of high revving energy that v twins dont have, but dont get me wrong I love the low down grunt of the v twin but they lack any kind of surge above mid range, infact they dont have any range apart from low range but luckily that is where all the power is, too many revs from a v twin and you would get one piston shooting the car in front and the other putting an end to any further marital relations with her in doors!

Well I guess its close to the end of the day for me ( 5 hours difference to the eastern seaboard) Toronto anyway so I will be eager to see the state of Harley Davidson when I tune in tomorrow for more state of the union bulletins.

I grew up in a HD family back in the 80s and 90s. My dad was a HD mechanic and eventually opened his own shop. He preferred the "from the ground up" custom builds and he was very good at it. My first street bike was a '57 panhead, kick start and points ignition. I still like them for their purpose.
Recently, my wife has expressed interest in a bigger, touring bike for longer road trips. I will seriously consider HD for the comfort and tech features. I saw a very nice CVO Ultra Classic 2010 model with only 32000 miles for sale for $10,900. The prices on these things is pretty near rock bottom on the used market. Good time to buy one if it fits your needs and purpose.

The touring bug and comfortable long distance ride has bitten me too. But I've got lots of parts and can keep my Vmax going a while. So a Venture Royale makes sense for me as an addition to my 89 vmax. Nice ones can be had under $4k. A 1300 preferred. If I get to unsteady in my later years I'll make it a three wheeler.

The touring bug and comfortable long distance ride has bitten me too. But I've got lots of parts and can keep my Vmax going a while. So a Venture Royale makes sense for me as an addition to my 89 vmax. Nice ones can be had under $4k. A 1300 preferred. If I get to unsteady in my later years I'll make it a three wheeler.

I reeally like the Venture 1300, I've been interstate with it a few times, its such a nice glide through the countryside. For a guy with a lot of city in his riding a Venture might be on the girthy side. Still my 89 Royale may be up on the chopping block, complete with COPs, Ignitek, Progressives and new bushings, new steering head bearings, R6 brakes, working cruise/stereo/cb/air system. Not installed it goes with Vmax upper engine and vboost components. My only gripe with the bike is it needs to be better when the pavement ends, I'm thinking I need a GS or Strom for my as far from civilization as I can get touring style.

If a gen2 strikes your fancy then there are usually a few of those for sale on the venturerider forum, many can be had within your price range. I choose the Venture because I had already picked up a lot of knowledge and appreciation for the V4, and it was a much better fit for a taller guy than a Wing. For a trike a gen2 would be better, or at least there are a few of them around. Not sure when I saw a gen1 trike, if ever. I have yet to warm up to trikes, I'll probably go straight to a stompy Euro roadster and get this midlife crisis card punched.

my vf1000 , too fast for the silly 16 inch front wheel (1980s long lost idea)View attachment 69090
Check out some other wheels and you will probably find some others that would fit without too much problem. I have a FZR1000 18" rear wheel and FZR1000 17" front wheel to match on my 1990 FJ1200. Replaces the 16" stock rear and looks much better.

I have a 2008 Golding that I bought new and a 2018 VMax (also new). To me, no bike is perfect and Im kid of like the objectionable guy. I will pick apart everything and identify what I dont like. I had a new 2004 FXDLi years ago and I can honestly say I couldnt wait to get rid of it. I will say that it was BY FAR the most comfortable bike I ever sat on - hands down. My Goldwing is put together with the cheapest plastic imaginable, had the worst and most uncomfortable seat. Plus, the stereo is absolute junk. I cant believe they didnt redesign the new Goldwings with a 400 watt amp. It was an incredible oversight to a new design. So far, my VMax is a blast to ride but certainly isnt perfect. Im average height (5'8") and the bike is slightly too high. I got a Corbin seat for it which helped. I replaced the stock horn with the Denali SoundBomb, installed the passenger backrest and couple of minor things. The bike handles awesome but they should have put a 240 rear tire on it, maybe a 220 at the least.

I had a 78 goldwing, I pretty much brought it back from the brink of death. Had the vetter dress kit, I pulled it all off to make working on the bike easier. Rode it around how Honda intended. Then when I got all the vetter stuff painted to match the rest of the bike, I put it all back on. I did the touring bike in my 20s. Bought a 97 vmax and sold the wing. Kept the 97 for 5 years. Sold that last year and bought an 18 vmax. To me the 18 is far Superior in every way compared to my other 2 bikes. I didn't like how the 97 handled. I never could get myself to drag the pegs. I'd drag the floor boards all day on my wing, and I'll drag the pegs on my 18 v max. I feel right at home on my 18. The 97 Max felt small to me. Only difference between the max and the wing, I could go 300 miles on a tank of gas with the wing, and I was ready to stop for gas. I couldn't own more than one bike, I'll spend more time trying to decide which one to ride than I would spend riding, lol.

Best description I can come up with for Harley is an extremely overpriced starter bike. Many end up that way.
My 75 gt750 was AS fast as well as stopped just as good as 99% of hd on the road today. Paid a grip for it in show condition 20 years ago.

I’ve spent time on a hardly. Atlanta to black hills and back with fun and weather mixed in during a 2 week trip.

2012 jap tech beats 2025 hd. Every day all day. I’ve cruised at speeds on blackie that Harley can’t reach. Red as well. By 135 the best of them are but a white dot in the mirrors on either machine. For the price of a HID HD headlights kit, I can mount gps, big tunes AND cruise control to either missle. BF9006AE-0664-4176-828D-E945AD2A4337.jpeg

Last edited:
Best description I can come up with for Harley is an extremely overpriced starter bike. Many end up that way.
My 75 gt750 was AS fast as well as stopped just as good as 99% of hd on the road today. Paid a grip for it in show condition 20 years ago.

I’ve spent time on a hardly. Atlanta to black hills and back with fun and weather mixed in during a 2 week trip.

2012 jap tech beats 2025 hd. Every day all day. I’ve cruised at speeds on blackie that Harley can’t reach. Red as well. By 135 the best of them are but a white dot in the mirrors on either machine. For the price of a HID HD headlights kit, I can mount gps, big tunes AND cruise control to either missle. View attachment 69120

What wheel is that on the front of the vmax?
And that brings me to, what wheel is on the back?

Thanks,

T$

Back