Vmax 12 Vs Harley davidson fat something or other.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What wheel is that on the front of the vmax?
And that brings me to, what wheel is on the back?

Thanks,

T$
UFO smoothie 17s
Solid aluminum about an inch thick.
Fit 17” radials, look sick, heavy as hell.
Was seriously considering bringing them to a shop with Cnc to have 4-5 large disks of material removed from each wheel (like some Lamborghini wheels) to shave significant weight, but as you can see from the photo, I found another way to spend on speed.

Last edited:
What wheel is that on the front of the vmax?
And that brings me to, what wheel is on the back?

Thanks,

T$
Here's an 18" custom Gen I rear wheel I can have made, 5-1/2" X 18" so it's much-closer to the height of the stock 15" 90-series aspect ratio V-Max wheel, compared to the 17" wheels, preserving your top-end. Not cheap.
VMax 18 inch rear wheel.jpg
Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

Last edited:
After I sent my Vmax down the road, I was on a variety of sport nakeds and sport-tourings. Despite being considerably more relaxed than a supersport, none I'd really call "comfortable", at least not for multi-day touring. Buzzy inline fours, leaned-forward ergo's, and limited storage. Good for a sporty day trip romp, not so much crossing the country. I then dipped my toe into the cruiser pool with an Indian Scout- dynamite engine, but some nagging quality issues and a thimble for a gas tank soured me on it for a while. But I appreciated the relaxed riding position and did a couple multi day trips on it.

I ended up on a 1998 Valkyrie I bought for the princely sum of $2000. That was running, riding, titled. It was even the Tourer edition with the factory hard bags and windshield, the latter was quite beat up though and was quickly sold off via an owner's forum. Almost immediately I knew this bike was "the one". I'd ridden late model Harleys. Great cruisers, can't knock them there. Comfortable, the M8 engine is far smoother than the older ones, they are pleasant to ride. But when you get a twitchy wrist the motor has no stomp to it and the handling wasn't any better than the wobbly crapshoot that my Vmax was, despite being 25 years newer. The fancy in-dash navigation was hilariously awful, I couldn't believe they actually put such utter shite on a bike they have the balls to ask $25k for , I had a $99 TomTom 15 years ago that worked better.

The Valk, while not Vmax fast, has some serious stomp to it for a bike of it's size. For a big engine, it's fairly revvy- redline is marked at 6500, but the limiter doesn't step in until 7500, and it very eagerly pulls up to it- not out of breath at 4k like most HD's I've ridden. It's also far and away the smoothest bike I've ever owned. The "parlor trick" of putting a dime on it'd edge on the valve cover and starting it is absolutely true. It won't fall over. It's also torquey everywhere. Lug it around in fifth at 1000rpm and it'll smoothly pull away. Hold it in 3rd on a curvy road and ride it from 4-6000rpm, it still has a pleasing top end pull. And it has the size, stability, comfort, and luggage that touring is a pleasure, not a chore. It'd also rank it right up there with my Supertrapp equipped Vmax for best sounding bikes I've ever heard (the Valk has the Cobra 6-into-6 pipes).

It still easily walks away from anything similar Harley makes (I ran against a 114 equipped street glide, with the owner having paid the "harley tax"- i.e, exhaust, tune, airbox, ect- and while I won't say it was no contest, I still readily walked away and had probably 10 bike lengths on him at 100mph. He also had pretty easily $30k wrapped up, I have maybe $2500 all in after some tires and TLC. My bike is smoother, faster, arguably more reliable, and cost 1/15th as much. I also don't lose it in parking lots, and it still turns heads. People are shocked to learn it's old enough to buy a beer, and it's by no means a pristine example. It spent most of it's life out in the sun on the Gulf coast, so oxidized engine cases and somewhat dull paint, although the latter cleaned up nicely with some compound.

To me, the Valk has the muscle car personality of the Vmax, but it's a little more "mature". You don't get quite the tire smoking hooligan antics (yes, I Darksided the Valk shortly after getting it and never looked back once), but you do get a comfortable touring partner. It can hustle when you want it to, and smoothly cruise when you don't.

I don't know if a "perfect bike" exists, but the Valk is the closest I've found. Considering it was also one of the cheapest I've owned, the bang for the buck- and smiles per buck- is really hard to top.

After I sent my Vmax down the road, I was on a variety of sport nakeds and sport-tourings. Despite being considerably more relaxed than a supersport, none I'd really call "comfortable", at least not for multi-day touring. Buzzy inline fours, leaned-forward ergo's, and limited storage. Good for a sporty day trip romp, not so much crossing the country. I then dipped my toe into the cruiser pool with an Indian Scout- dynamite engine, but some nagging quality issues and a thimble for a gas tank soured me on it for a while. But I appreciated the relaxed riding position and did a couple multi day trips on it.

I ended up on a 1998 Valkyrie I bought for the princely sum of $2000. That was running, riding, titled. It was even the Tourer edition with the factory hard bags and windshield, the latter was quite beat up though and was quickly sold off via an owner's forum. Almost immediately I knew this bike was "the one". I'd ridden late model Harleys. Great cruisers, can't knock them there. Comfortable, the M8 engine is far smoother than the older ones, they are pleasant to ride. But when you get a twitchy wrist the motor has no stomp to it and the handling wasn't any better than the wobbly crapshoot that my Vmax was, despite being 25 years newer. The fancy in-dash navigation was hilariously awful, I couldn't believe they actually put such utter shite on a bike they have the balls to ask $25k for , I had a $99 TomTom 15 years ago that worked better.

The Valk, while not Vmax fast, has some serious stomp to it for a bike of it's size. For a big engine, it's fairly revvy- redline is marked at 6500, but the limiter doesn't step in until 7500, and it very eagerly pulls up to it- not out of breath at 4k like most HD's I've ridden. It's also far and away the smoothest bike I've ever owned. The "parlor trick" of putting a dime on it'd edge on the valve cover and starting it is absolutely true. It won't fall over. It's also torquey everywhere. Lug it around in fifth at 1000rpm and it'll smoothly pull away. Hold it in 3rd on a curvy road and ride it from 4-6000rpm, it still has a pleasing top end pull. And it has the size, stability, comfort, and luggage that touring is a pleasure, not a chore. It'd also rank it right up there with my Supertrapp equipped Vmax for best sounding bikes I've ever heard (the Valk has the Cobra 6-into-6 pipes).

It still easily walks away from anything similar Harley makes (I ran against a 114 equipped street glide, with the owner having paid the "harley tax"- i.e, exhaust, tune, airbox, ect- and while I won't say it was no contest, I still readily walked away and had probably 10 bike lengths on him at 100mph. He also had pretty easily $30k wrapped up, I have maybe $2500 all in after some tires and TLC. My bike is smoother, faster, arguably more reliable, and cost 1/15th as much. I also don't lose it in parking lots, and it still turns heads. People are shocked to learn it's old enough to buy a beer, and it's by no means a pristine example. It spent most of it's life out in the sun on the Gulf coast, so oxidized engine cases and somewhat dull paint, although the latter cleaned up nicely with some compound.

To me, the Valk has the muscle car personality of the Vmax, but it's a little more "mature". You don't get quite the tire smoking hooligan antics (yes, I Darksided the Valk shortly after getting it and never looked back once), but you do get a comfortable touring partner. It can hustle when you want it to, and smoothly cruise when you don't.

I don't know if a "perfect bike" exists, but the Valk is the closest I've found. Considering it was also one of the cheapest I've owned, the bang for the buck- and smiles per buck- is really hard to top.

I love the Valks myself, and was really itching to get one last year when I was looking for a bike to do some touring with my wife.

Unfortunately the 2 I found that I liked both potentially needed their carbs "tweaked". The prospect of having to begin work on 6 carbs was too scary for me. If they were fuel injected....or the price of yours I definitely would have bought one.

Here's an 18" custom Gen I rear wheel I can have made, 5-1/2" X 18" so it's much-closer to the height of the stock 15" 90-series aspect ratio V-Max wheel, compared to the 17" wheels, preserving your top-end. Not cheap.
I've been interested every time I see these mentioned. (In fact, I may have PM'd you about this very question B4). How much is "not cheap" by the way? ..and how much is the 17"? I understand they are 2 different methods, like 1 being new rim (or hub?) or something? I get lil bit of "extra" $$ every now and again, but usually by the time it comes, It ends up spent on other..things before my max wishes.

Thanks,

T$

I love the Valks myself, and was really itching to get one last year when I was looking for a bike to do some touring with my wife.

Unfortunately the 2 I found that I liked both potentially needed their carbs "tweaked". The prospect of having to begin work on 6 carbs was too scary for me. If they were fuel injected....or the price of yours I definitely would have bought one.
I am also a fan of the Valk. I loved that Honda took that stellar Goldwing based Engine and made a stylized, more cruiserish muscle bike. ( Kinda like how Yamaha took the V4 from their version of the Goldwing and tweaked it into a Muscle bike once upon a time )
I’m surprised this Valkyrie apprenticing fest didn’t find its way over to the Thread about the Triumph Rocket 3 elsewhere on this forum .

Thoughts on this one?? Parks on the sidewalk 10 feet from the door of a busy restraunt. Lazy?? And yes it's a Harley, lol. I'm not implying that all Harley owners are lazy, but this one takes the Cake.

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_191417398.jpg
    IMG_20190531_191417398.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 29
He should park in a space like everyone-else. What-about physically-challenged people trying to access the restaurant? Sure they could 'go-around to the other side,' but they shouldn't have-to. When you're using a walker or especially a wheelchair, even a one-inch change in height can prove to be an insurmountable barrier. I bet if someone spoke to the manager, that might get some action. If the knucklehead rider (yes, I know, the bike is probably the new Milwaukee 8, not a Knucklehead, I'm referring to the rider) becomes indignant about being asked to conform to conventional parking opportunities, and leaving full-sidewalk access to the pedestrians, he's a boor.

Last edited:
Thats a "look at me" thing.....which unfortunately strikes a lot of HD owners. Kinda like blipping the throttle of a FUEL INJECTED bike at the nearest intersection.

Lol, I told my wife........ Sure would be a pitty if it got scratched......... Or accidently rolled off the side stand lol.
Not to mention a safety hazard if the building caught fire, or if an ambulance got called for some reason or other.............. And the kicker, he activated the anti theft alarm as he walked away, lol. He had "douche bag" written on his forehead, just one of those people when you look at them.

Thats a "look at me" thing.....which unfortunately strikes a lot of HD owners. Kinda like blipping the throttle of a FUEL INJECTED bike at the nearest intersection.
The some of same people who blip the throttle at intersections, seem to not know how to blip the throttle to rev match as they slow down for an intersection. Seriously, guy. You have a bike that is only good at low end torque, and you fail to use its natural engine braking?

Latest posts

Back