Vmax 1700 Engine Guards

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1770 was knocked over in a parking lot and now has $3,600 in damage. What a mess, of course it’s the matte black edition so parts are hard to get. My question is are there any engine guards made for this model that are a direct fit?

What mods have you done to the engine to have 1770cc ?

I say save your money and if it falls over use the the money to pay your insurance deductible. And your bike will be lighter and faster and less to clean. ;)

I ordered crash bar from Japan( SSB for Yamaha V-MAX 1700 – SSB Factory Japan )
They make one by order so took about 1month to my door. After they shipped the item with UPS global, it only took 3 days to Seattle.
You need to mod bottom of air intake cover but fitting is just perfect.
Personally, my VMAX was too black and I like with little chrome for accent.(and safer now)

DSC_1287.JPGDSC_1289.JPGDSC_1288.JPG

I've been debating between these GSG sliders and the Sato Racing ones. The GSG's seem like they could hold up to more than a tip over. The Sato's seem to have a thinner collar beneath the slider which lends me to believe they'll snap easier under longitudinal forces.
Hope you don't mind a few questions as there's not much available info on these.
Do the GSG's extend past the headers and radiators?
Do they also bolt across the front of the engine?
In your opinion, would they protect the the air scoops as well?
Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I had this Sato one before SSB crash bar.
SATO RACING Frame Sliders - Yamaha VMAX 1700 2009-2019 [Y-VMAX09FS-BK] | eBay
Luckily I haven't used it but I saw some bike crash video on Youtube, I see same kind(not Sato) bar snaps in hard crash.(well its end of bike anyway kind crash).
I believe, the Sato one will take care air intake from scratch when just tip over, but I have no confident something more than that.
Sato's construction is good, no mod required, just small spacer under airintake.
I got this SSB one because I really don't want get my leg pinched under this heavy bike.....

I did not know this GSG bar, but looking one on Amazon, its not cheap like Sato($220), I would not regret SSB($800) for heavy duty protection.
Amazon.com: GSG Mototechnik Set Frame Sliders Yamaha V-Max/Vmax 1700 RP21 09-: Automotive

I'm sold when I saw SSB site with VMAX on ground with bar :)

P.S.
I no longer need Sato bar, so I take offer :)

Attachments

• Yamaha-V-Max-1700-_013-1067x800.jpg
    Yamaha-V-Max-1700-_013-1067x800.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Luckily I haven't used it but I saw some bike crash video on Youtube, I see same kind(not Sato) bar snaps in hard crash.(well its end of bike anyway kind crash).
I believe, the Sato one will take care air intake from scratch when just tip over, but I have no confident something more than that.
Sato's construction is good, no mod required, just small spacer under airintake.
I got this SSB one because I really don't want get my leg pinched under this heavy bike.....

I did not know this GSG bar, but looking one on Amazon, its not cheap like Sato($220), I would not regret SSB($800) for heavy duty protection.
Amazon.com: GSG Mototechnik Set Frame Sliders Yamaha V-Max/Vmax 1700 RP21 09-: Automotive

P.S.
still got it or did it sell

has anybody had a bike fall over with sato engine guards ? any type guards?
I'm guessing that someone has likely had a bike fall over with the Sato engine sliders, which is what I have on my bike also. They're going to protect the engine cases in the event of a tipover and that's it. It's still going to get the bar ends, levers, pegs, mufflers, etc.

Is there something you are specifically worried about?

P.S.
anybody know the difference between the 2019 and 2020 vmax

i see that some sliders work on 2019 but not 2020?
I have 2020 VMAX and I believe there is no difference in frame since 2009. Yamaha Service manual is 2017-2020 so there might be some difference but not exactly sure which is changed(or not even changed anything)

I still have Sato Bar if you are interested, I can put it on ebay if you want.

I have 2020 VMAX and I believe there is no difference in frame since 2009. Yamaha Service manual is 2017-2020 so there might be some difference but not exactly sure which is changed(or not even changed anything)

I still have Sato Bar if you are interested, I can put it on ebay if you want.
what is the price
I'm guessing that someone has likely had a bike fall over with the Sato engine sliders, which is what I have on my bike also. They're going to protect the engine cases in the event of a tipover and that's it. It's still going to get the bar ends, levers, pegs, mufflers, etc.

Is there something you are specifically worried about?
yea just general damage on tip over

P.S.
y0u have frame guard

There is ZERo difference between a 2019 and a 2020, including the color. My guess is any 2019's that had not been shipped from the factory were re-badged as 2020 models before being sent out.

Back