vmax badge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16790

Reaction score
I've noticed some pictures of gen 1 vmax's with highly polished, chromed and painted side panels that still have the chrome vmax badges on, is there an easy way to remove them without damaging them, do they re-stick on or do you need to get new badges or just sticky stuff, I'd like to paint the top half of my panels but want to keep the badges, thanks

They come new with 3M body molding tape. You can get them off with dental floss or fishing line easily enough with a sawing motion under the emblem. You'll have to reapply and cut your own replacement tape though.

Sean's method will remove them in short order. When you remove the old tape, be careful as you can easily damage the emblem if you aren't careful, some type of solvent will help to remove the glued foam. Maybe carb cleaner, you don't need much. When you use new foam, just lay-on (stick-on) the foam double-sided tape (you leave the protective piece of removable material on, on one side until you do the next step) and then use an Xacto knife with a new blade to cut-out the excess around each letter, from the back. Again, be careful, because you could easily cut the plastic too, if you weren't watching your blade positioning.

Did you know that a piece of monofilament line will cut-through a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe? Make a couple of loops in a length of monofilament line, to put your fingers through, wrap it all-the way around the pipe, and use a back & forth motion, it works very well. Handy for cutting pipe in a narrow space like inside a wall cavity.

ok thanks for the info, so basically I need to get some replacement sticky tape before I attempt to remove them, has any body tried heating them to soften the glues grip

Yes, on a warm day I was able to SLOWLY pry mine off. Painted the side covers all black and then reapplied with 3M double sided tape. I was also able to place the emblem where I wanted them. From the factory they put VMAX in an off location in my opinion. I basically centered them. Good luck!mine. side cover.jpg

that looks really good, I'm going to try using a hair dryer, I do have a heat gun with variable control but I don't want to melt the badge :confused:

The monofilament line or dental floss will do it very quickly, then a bit of solvent to remove any residual glue. I doubt it would take a minute apiece.

Did you know that a piece of monofilament line will cut-through a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe? Make a couple of loops in a length of monofilament line, to put your fingers through, wrap it all-the way around the pipe, and use a back & forth motion, it works very well. Handy for cutting pipe in a narrow space like inside a wall cavity.

We often need to cut PVC pipe with conductors inside when redoing underground services or upgrading a site. The crews dont have fishing line on the trucks but, pull string and even masonry string will do the job. It's not a very fast process and the string gets hot while doing 3" SCH40 but it does work.
I found a tail pipe cutter works fairly good but doesn't cut all the way through the wall of the pipe. The rollers bottom out. Gets you a nice straight line though and very little work to finish it off with string

Latest posts

Back