Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a lithium ducati battery in mine a few weeks ago, more cranking amps than anything I've seen that will fit in a Max, plus way lighter. I had to cut some foam and put it under and around the battery to get it in the right position for my cables though, it's about 2/3 the size of the battery box

I also did the VMAX Outlaw suggestion. http://www.apexbattery.com/panasoni...-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html

Battery was cheap and has been in for a year now. I completely disconnected it over the winter, still like new. Helped to do the crimp fix at the same time as well. I got a full volt and a little more out of the deal. My fit was sort of tight as well but I got it in without much trouble. I don't see the point in butchering the stock case unless you REALLY want to. The sealed cell batteries means you don't have to worry about leakage or evaporation in hot climates. Or when we run hot, as all know Mr. Max does. Also have the usb port from battery tender installed, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

If anything it almost seems like the battery upgrade has too much CCA ;) Whenever I turn my key on and the actuator that gets the Vboost all booted up clicks a lot more than it used to. Anyone else experience this? Hope it's not burning anything out in there! XD

I found the Panasonic batteries on eBay for $38 shipped but they all have "alt" numbers after the UB12180. Ive requested more info from the seller but the seller doesnt know the difference between the batteries with the different numbers. Another uses the picture of the same UB12180 battery but has different prices depending on the different applications.

I found the Panasonic batteries on eBay for $38 shipped but they all have "alt" numbers after the UB12180. Ive requested more info from the seller but the seller doesnt know the difference between the batteries with the different numbers. Another uses the picture of the same UB12180 battery but has different prices depending on the different applications.

I don't know about the Panasonic, but with some of the lead acids, the suffix can mean when the positive post is on the other end of the battery....and I guy can find the battery won't match up the the cables without modifying them.

I couldn't find batteries for either the Goldwing or the Vmax on the Sears website.....:confused2:

We are now selling the Earth X batteries. Seem to be working quite well!

We have used the "B" case and other then very cold climates it's working good so far. There may be some room to extend the fuel tank up there but not sure how much you'd gain? Maybe if we put the battery under the seat (which might fit).

Hmmm... $220(ish---I guess). I'm assuming we're going with the 18B, not the 12B. There's a huge thread on the adv board about the LiFePO4 batteries. There's even a guy there building his own custom ones. EarthX seems to use standard-shaped packaging as opposed to Ballistic. Very cool stuff.

Do they have their own special chargers and stuff?

EDIT: Nevermind about the chargers...

That's the nice thing about the Earth X. No special charger needed! The 18B ($200 shipped) is what we've been running.

How's the cycling? I know it says 4000 charges, but how does that correlate to being left on a trickle charger all the time?

Not sure if it needs it? I don't know if it would hurt or help it. It has a low and high voltage shut off protection circuit as well as a cranking protection circuit.

Hello Everybody,

Has anyone run or known of anyone running a Shorai lithium battery ?
I am using one and am so far really happy with it, amazed actually that
the little size packs the punch that it doe's. I have been riding since February
when it would get to maybe 55 or so by afternoon, but would be maybe 30 degree's when I took off in the morning. The website say's to turn the key
on for a minute or so to "wake" the battery, that was hard to do at first because my way of thinking is that I need to hit the key immediately before
I lose whatever charge its got. Well 30, or even at twenty degree's here in Colorado it would FIRE Right UP! Now on the 20 degree morning we just wanted to see if it would even crank, and when it started I had to go on and let it warm-up but couldn't ride in that cold, but were surprised the little battery seemed unaffected at that temp. They warn in the instructions NOT to ever let it completely drain.

Attachments

• 050313144536.jpg
    050313144536.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 052113100348.jpg
    052113100348.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 78
Here are some pictures of how I had to bend my Battery cable connectors to fit on my UB12180 Battery.

Attachments

• Negative-connection-1.jpg
    Negative-connection-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Negative-connection-2.jpg
    Negative-connection-2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Positive-connection-1.jpg
    Positive-connection-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Positive-connection-2.jpg
    Positive-connection-2.jpg