Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Battery??

I just put an Odyssey PC680 in my 86, it was $120 at Summit, I live right up the street from one of their stores.

Do NOT go with a stock style battery. Get an AGM battery.

I am running a Panasonic battery that works great.

Check out the VMF links for help.

Chris

My 2 cents - check out the battery thread in the sticky's & go with the Morley battery box mod & the oversized battery. The battery is oversized - the price is not. Readily available at many places & many more cranking amps than a standard size of any brand. If Yamaha had done this from the start, there would be no battery threads on this forum...

Anything but a lead acid battery. Bought a universal agm a couple of year ago. $56 shipped I believe. Charged it once, never trickle charged it after that. bike starts right up even if sitting for weeks in winter. Sell a lot of odyssey's at work though, and there long lasting trouble free.
Steve-o

yea dont worry about overkill. the max needs a good powerfull battery. like stated i would go with a AGM type. the interstate battery yu spoke of is that type and i had one in the past and it was a very good battery.

Spend the cash and buy the Odyssey PC680. Your bike will love ya for it!

This seems to be a highly recommended battery, is it a direct drop in size wise?? I don't wanna get into cutting the battery box up to get a battery to fit. If it is a drop in where can i get one asap, im in upstate ny and the weather is gonna be really nice this weekend would love to get one before then!!!

This seems to be a highly recommended battery, is it a direct drop in size wise?? I don't wanna get into cutting the battery box up to get a battery to fit. If it is a drop in where can i get one asap, im in upstate ny and the weather is gonna be really nice this weekend would love to get one before then!!!

Yes... So is the Panasonic for considerably less $$$.

Both work VERY well.

Chris

Guess it's only been a year, but other people have had good luck too with this batt.

UB12220 Universal 12 Volt UB12220B1 1 42.95
22AH Battery
Subtotal 42.95
Shipping 16.77
Tax 0.00
Total 59.72

It looks virtually identical to the Panasonic I bought last year, only mine was almost half that price from apexbattery.

Sure is a lot of CCA though, but does Max need it? (mine's only 247 and cranks fine)

Sounds a bit much from what I can see. The AH rating is still good and probably a decent enough battery. Found out we can get the PC680's here for about $120 but not sure how much it would cost me to ship out to someone?? We of course use the big battery most of the time.

Sean

Hi folks:

Awesome thread.

I believe my Odyssey 680 has crapped out on me...after replacing my starter motor with the newer, stronger version, and rebuilding the cooling system (this is while keeping the battery on the trickle charger), the bike barely has enough power to crank!?

Measured voltage at that point: 11.5V when un-engaged, down to around 3.5V when I attempt to crank.

Had no problem jump starting it from my other bike, so I let the Max run, lots of revving, for many minutes. But STILL won't start on its own. My r/r is fine, by the way...never had problems before the break to add the new starter and cooling sytem stuff (2 weeks).

Is my battery ready for retirement? I wanna go to the over-sized Sears battery, but I wanna be sure my Odyssey is done with.

Thanks muchly.

Elimax

Your cranking voltage should not drop below about 10volts when cranking and should have about 12.6 Volts when fully charged. They will usually get a "surface" charge in them that can show a higher voltage then that when measured right after running/driving it.

Sean

Back